Backs

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I was wondering if all you horsey people have their horses back checked regulary. I have not had my horse back checked and I was riding the other day and he is quite out of line.

Now will the problem be back related or will it be that my gg needs more schooling although he is schooled a lot through the week. Or could he have hurt himself??? He was bucking mad yesterday too not whilst riding him he was quiet as normal but before id rode i turned him out in a mini turnout paddock we have got and he had a bit of a play. resembled a spring lamb at one point. lol

Am I best getting the back man out or is it rubbish that he fixes problems like this???

Advice please as I may be being quite thick??

the watcher

Visit site
I only get mine looked at if I think there is a problem, although I understand that competition horses are seem regularly.

the ground is quite soft at the moment and he could have slipped and put something out in his back or pelvis. Personally I don't believe this is something you can just school through, in fact that might do more damage, so I would ask around your area or yard ..personal recommendation seems best in these things

Dogbetty141

Visit site
He is normal to ride didnt mention that he let me know if he was in pain by dumping me as he did that when he had a sarcoid growing where his saddle was and it was rubbing.

Parkranger

Visit site
I'd normally get someone out every 6 months just to check them but with my boy tend to do it every couple of months as he does get a stiff neck!

fizzer

Visit site
i always get mine checked every 6 mths, too many people wait till there is a problem, prevention is better than cure

filly190

Visit site
Not unless there is a problem. My old mare of 21 touch wood has never had back problems.

Finding a good back person is'nt that easy,.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
As mine are usually jumping I have physio for them every 6 months without fail, however if something obvious appears I call physio straight away.

If not jumping, I imagine I'd do it once a year for my own peace of mind as they are oldies.

dieseldog

Visit site
What do you mean by out of line? Do you mean that he is crooked to ride when you are sat on him? If so make sure that you are sat straight.

Horses can't put there backs out like humans do, the muscles/ligaments holding everything in place are too strong. They can however damage the muscles which might need seeing to.

Try and get someone recommended to you as it is really hard to find someone who is actually effective there are loads of people around who seem to do naff all and charge you loads of money

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I have just had the chiropractor(sp) she had to do an hours work on my girl, she has been put on a 2 week muscle building pland i.e hacking up hills, raised trot poles, gymnastic jumping. Then she is coming back. I would def have them checked at least once a year if not every 6 months. It is very easy for them to tweak someting out in the field without you realising.

siennamum

Visit site
If you think there is something wrong withyour horse then get the vet out.
No good chiropractor/osteopath or physio will treat your horse unless it's approved by the vet.
Having a back person out to treat your horse without vet approval can invalidate your insurance and can cause terrible problems for your horse (I've some horror stories).
Having said that I have a good relationship with a couple of McTimony Chiropractors (They are both fully qualified as human chiropractors, then they did the animal course) and a fantastic Physio. I've also heard good things about Bowen treatment. A good person can be invaluable, but there are far more bad people out there than there are good imho.

He's more likely to have tweaked a muscle, and is still sore if this has come on suddenly, in which case a physio can help.

Invariably what presents as back pain is actually a problem with saddle, teeth, incorect schooling/riding or lower leg/foot pain.
That's why your vet will be able to help, he/she can ensure that you don't just look at the symptoms but also try and identify the cause of his problem.
If you want to avoid spending all the money, then do you have a really good person on the ground who can give you a frank assessment of your riding/schooling and of his saddle fit. There may be somehting very obvious which you have missed.