Backward, spooky horse. WWYD ?

paddi22

Visit site
If he was your horse and you actually knew him (and where he lives and the work he already does), then I suspect you wouldn't make that decision at all.

how am i supposed to know the horse or where he lives and works? i'm just offering suggestions on what i did with similar horses. Of course you know your own horse best. If you want to get arsey people saying what worked for them with a particular horse (who mightn;t be like yours at all of course) then fine.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
if i had a horse that had a chance of having pain related issues then i wouldnt be working it at all really but the op didn;t give the impression it was pain related

There is no indication at all that it is pain related. Physio can find no pain, I can't feel any pain, his reactions appear all to be mental, they show when he is not ridden and when ridden.

Like you, I, would work through pain only on the advice of a vet (for example for spavins).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
how am i supposed to know the horse or where he lives and works? i'm just offering suggestions on what i did with similar horses. Of course you know your own horse best. If you want to get arsey people saying what worked for them with a particular horse (who mightn;t be like yours at all of course) then fine.

Did I deserve that :D ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you can't find anything wrong with a horse and not every difficult to train horse is in pain ,then why not work it , nothing like hard work to let the dog see the rabbit if the horse is caring an issue .
OP is not inexperianced and sometimes you just have to graft your way through things .

paddy555

Visit site
If you can't find anything wrong with a horse and not every difficult to train horse is in pain ,then why not work it , nothing like hard work to let the dog see the rabbit if the horse is caring an issue .
OP is not inexperianced and sometimes you just have to graft your way through things .

couldn't find anything wrong with mine. He ended up in horse hospital with colic but they found nothing wrong and no reason as to why he shouldn't be worked. I felt he had problems which in his case were backward and spooky. They were behavioural problems nothing obviously physical I could put my finger on. So I suppose the solution for him would have been to get on and work him hard. We did work him although as I am not inexperienced and I am pretty cautious, thankfully the work was not hard. The horse ended up in a heap on the ground with the rider on top. He was only walking at the time having just gone, slowly, up a steep hill and neither horse nor rider were hurt. If he had been cantering in the middle of the hunt both could have been injured.
So, personally, I don't think get on and graft your way through things is necessarily always a good idea.