Bad behaviour 😖

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Hey peeps, In the last week I have had really disturbing behaviour from my boy! He has reared in hand, bronced while walking alongside, and generally been acting like an idiot... Nothing has changed in his routine at all. He turns out like a lamb but comes in like a crazy dude! Im assuming its the grass 🤷🏼‍♀️ Has anyone else experienced this?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
He might have hurt himself... have you called vet for a thorough check? It could be anything from a broken tooth to hormonal imbalance. It could just be grass but I think I would want to check as it’s so extreme... if mine has too much grass she generally just wants to sleep it off...

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Yeah had him checked and he is fine 🤷🏼‍♀️ but he is a tb and normally really calm. He has been in now since Saturday with limited turnout and hopefully that will be the end of it 😖 his poos are really really green and smelly

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine is usually very well behaved, but if she gets cold when out she can be a bit jumpy coming in.

Last night I got our heavy winter turnouts out (braces self for onset of rug haters' comments), as the mid weight one is no longer sufficient.

Having said that, green and smelly poos would suggest the grass is too rich.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Awww i have to rug him too, cant have him losing weight, yeah the poos really stink, going to try adding some vitamin E as well and see how we go. He has been in the same field for 3 years so nothing has changed but a few other horses have found the grass too rich as well and have laminitis:/ but he was shod yesterday and my farrier said his feet are perfect :) so fingers crossed it is just the grass

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Are you feeding him, anything at all, except hay and grass? My TBx mare did this and it was because she struggled to digest the coarse mix that she was eating, it had an odd effect on her and she had become addicted to it, her 'bad' behaviour happened because she needed her next meal. She was an angel to put out and was actually one of the sweetest natured horses I have ever known. She also struggled to regulate her temperature and would shiver when none of the other horses did, if she even got a bit wet on a cool day.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Both of my horses have had much looser droppings started about 10 days ago, I think it's because it was so warm the grass was coming through, I put them on protexin and fennel seeds and they are much better now almost back to normal.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If his worse on the way in from the field it could be that he is hungry and is eager to get back for hay, I have noticed the horses next door are standing round the gate in the afternoons waiting to come in.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Both of my horses have had much looser droppings started about 10 days ago, I think it's because it was so warm the grass was coming through, I put them on protexin and fennel seeds and they are much better now almost back to normal.

Could try fennel but he cant have protexin as I'm sure it has soya in it x

Barton Bounty

Visit site
If his worse on the way in from the field it could be that he is hungry and is eager to get back for hay, I have noticed the horses next door are standing round the gate in the afternoons waiting to come in.
I always give him hay in the field too x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Could try fennel but he cant have protexin as I'm sure it has soya in it x

I think it does I can have look for you, i thought I would try fennel it's a global herbs thing as it said it's good for gas and discomfort, as one of mine has been a bit gassy lately.

I reckon it's the grass coming through quite rich it has been so mild the last few weeks, not today it's flipping freezing raining and blowing a gale here.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
He already gets comfort gut and limestone powder, i dont want to put anymore supps in or they will start cancelling each other out lol. He is a bit better today and is scoffing all his hay , he gets a lot.. and too him out in hand and he wasnt spooky and jumpy so fingers crossed

tallyho!

Visit site
Smelly poos.... how smelly? This rings alarm bells. When my horse was being a cow she had foul sloppy poos turns out it was a Candida infection. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it... at the time I was convinced it was her saddle! I was literally being bucked off at every ride. This was about three years ago. Her poos were fine once wetreated the infection and she did eventually calm down.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Smelly poos.... how smelly? This rings alarm bells. When my horse was being a cow she had foul sloppy poos turns out it was a Candida infection. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it... at the time I was convinced it was her saddle! I was literally being bucked off at every ride. This was about three years ago. Her poos were fine once wetreated the infection and she did eventually calm down.

Not disgusting and still solid . Much better after 3 days in with limited turnout 😍

Ellietotz

Visit site
Is it possible not to have bad smelling poo? :p Doesn't exactly smell like roses!

Ours have all been spanners lately too, mixture of cold and knowing dinner is in the stable waiting for them so excited to get in I expect.

BBP

Visit site
Mine has gone from chilled to wild today, cold cloudy damp windy weather always does it to him, even though he is rugged. But he was wild to turn out as well as to bring in today!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Is it possible not to have bad smelling poo? :p Doesn't exactly smell like roses!

Ours have all been spanners lately too, mixture of cold and knowing dinner is in the stable waiting for them so excited to get in I expect.

No but this is rank 😷😷😷😂

tallyho!

Visit site

You should have had a whiff of my mares'... it was rancid. Totally not normal, everyone commented even the farmer... impossible to describe but it's due to an infection... normal horse poo has that horse poo smell, you know? It smells "right". This did not. Anyway, needless to say I've learnt a lot about poo since :D

Ellietotz

Visit site
You should have had a whiff of my mares'... it was rancid. Totally not normal, everyone commented even the farmer... impossible to describe but it's due to an infection... normal horse poo has that horse poo smell, you know? It smells "right". This did not. Anyway, needless to say I've learnt a lot about poo since :D

I think I know what you mean. Some do smell a bit pongy should we say! My mares' can smell a bit gross sometimes but then I'm not sure if it's because it's fresh and it's poo or if it's not normal poo smelling poo. It's normal coloured and firm poo though. Hmm.. poo.

tallyho!

Visit site
I think I know what you mean. Some do smell a bit pongy should we say! My mares' can smell a bit gross sometimes but then I'm not sure if it's because it's fresh and it's poo or if it's not normal poo smelling poo. It's normal coloured and firm poo though. Hmm.. poo.
:D :D I know... only animal lovers and parents can talk this much about poo :D

Barton Bounty

Visit site
Turned out for the first time this morning! Nightmare at the gate! Rearing going into the field. So it must be something to do with that. Two Saturdays ago a swan flew into the overhead wires and took them down , right into my horses field, he was out at the time, so it must be that that is sending him wired. Within five minutes of turnout he was sweating profusely and snorting with no sign of calming. Phoned the yard owner and he said to pop him in the empty fiekd next to his, and voila!!! One calm horse 😍😍😍