Bad Feeling...What would you do?

evsj

Visit site
Hi. Just wanted to get some opinions regarding suspected tendon injury. My 16.1hh mare has recently become very behind the leg and 'lazy' which I thought was due to her diet - she lost some weight recently but is regaining it now. The other week I noticed a very slight bump on her off-fore tendon, about 1/3 way down the back of the leg from the knee. The bump is very slight - you have to feel it with your hand but if you look very hard that tendon does show very slightly thickend compared with the other leg.

There is a tiny amount of heat - I think (may be being paranoid) but her forelegs do seem to be filling in the stable. I can't see lameness and someone else looked at her last week and said she seemed sound.

I jumped her at the weekend and she seemed ok although has not been as excited about her work as usual.

We are meant to be PNing at Ardingly this weekend but I am having severe nagging doubts. I just have this wierd feeling that her lacklustre performance is related to a physiological as opposed to psycological reason - does this happen with tendon injuries? Would you now call the vet? And does BE refund entries this late in the day? Also meant to be doing Pulborough, Borde Hil and Tweseldown!!!

Hope that someone can advise - I feel very gloomy about this - think I might have to resort to chocolate this afternoon!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I suppose if you're serious about competing and have some real doubts about your horse's fitness to compete then the first port of call should be the vet.

She could be just lacking in fuel - or be slightly aneamic (sp), and carrying a slight virus.

So yep - I'd get the vet to do a physical check and also take some bloods.

Return of entry fees is really near nor there if you horse isn't up to competing. If you have doubts, don't run her.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Personally I would get it scanned, if it is a slight strain or knock on the tendon running her could result in her breaking down quite seriously. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

kick_On

Visit site
good advice amymay

IMO i would follow what your head is telling you
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
My horse is very flat at the moment and pumping him with oats is not helping.

He even topped it off by falling over a relatively small showjump on sunday.

I know he always goes flat at the change of the seasons, but I am seriously considering getting his bloods done as he has never made such a silly mistake showjumping before.

evsj

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I guess I knew what your answers would be because I have already phoned the vet for an appointment - if in doubt, call vet out. I guess whether it is the tendon or anemea I will get the answer when he comes.

miller

Visit site
Would get it checked to be on the safe side but my horse always goes flat when he is growing his winter coat - as soon as he is clipped is fine - could be that as alot of other people have mentioned it to me

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Jonty was hardly lame with her 6% tendon injury, it was more a case of the slight swelling (hardly there) that disturbed us and led us to first get her to a spa, then have it scanned. It taught us how a serious injury doesn't actually look as bad as a minor one.
I wouldn't run the horse without a scan I'm afraid, or you may end up off for a year like us...

evsj

Visit site
Thanks again eveyone. The vet was out last night and as a a result my girl is now on 6 weeks box rest then a further 5 months rest.

The injury is a strain as opposed to a tear and she remains sound on it but, of course, the only remedy is rest - I guess it's lucky that the injury is not worse.

It's still a horrible thing to face - I keep looking at at our stuff and thinking 'might as well clean that and put it away - won't be needing it for 6 months"...!

evsj

Visit site
I really hope that you are right about 6 months flying by!! I have already had offers to ride other peoples horses over the winter which will help. It's really nice to get moral support off everyone here (and at the yard) and looking on the bright side, at least I won't have to get up at 5 to get to Ardingly on Saturday!!

ihatework

Visit site
Mine's just been off for 9 months and it does seem to have gone by fairly quickly although it has meant I have misse dout on a nice summer and have to now bring back into work during the cold and wet
crazy.gif

If the horse will live out for the 5 months then great ... think of all the lie-ins you'll get not having to muck out everyday!

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
At least vet caught it early - and you only have to box rest for 6 weeks - and then she can have 5 months chilling out in the field - think of it as a holiday for her for all the hard work and effort she's put in over the last few years.

My horse suffered a sever tendon injury at the beginning of April, 3.5 months box rest, then 1 months paddock rest, then Operation (stem cell treatment), now back on another 3 months box rest, only 2 weeks into this stint - but can start walking him and getting on him in 2 weeks - am so excited haven't ridden him since beginning April! Anyway, what I'm saying is yes it will pass quickly, and before you know it you'll be half way through and counting down the weeks - this is what everyone told me when at the beginning of the summer I had 3 months box rest and the prospect of mucking out twice a day wasn't a great thought!

Treat it as a holiday for her, lots of love and cuddles and she'll be fine - at least you caught it! Had you competed you could have lost her for eventing forever - sorry don't mean to be negative!

Hope she makes a speedy recovery!
Mx