Bad horse mummy (thinking of PTS)

mums the groom

Visit site
my daughters pony has borderline laminitis and is lame on both front feet, he is not insured as this has been going on for the last 12 months on and off, Farrier says not laminitis as he has checked his feet and re shod him this weekend the Physio says he's got Laminitis and I have the Oestopath coming on Tuesday, and in 2 weeks the vet is coming to block his feet to see if he's lame in the feet or could be something else so can go on the insurance. he is currently on box rest with 30 mins a day out in a small paddock with a muzzle on, this is really not a life for a pony and am I bad mummy for thinking if it is his feet is it just better to call it a day and send him over the rainbow bridge - sorry for the long rant

mums the groom

Visit site
Sorry had the vet out every 3 months to do checks and testing latest one was 54 ACTH and 19 Insulin ( not high enough to be put on medication) and he's been sound over summer in this heat with a muzzle and no grass it just reoccurred once it started to rain and then last month when the weather went really warm again and the grass sprung up he kept getting his muzzle off ( need to nail it to his head) just as the insurance ran out.

be positive

Visit site
Sorry had the vet out every 3 months to do checks and testing latest one was 54 ACTH and 19 Insulin ( not high enough to be put on medication) and he's been sound over summer in this heat with a muzzle and no grass it just reoccurred once it started to rain and then last month when the weather went really warm again and the grass sprung up he kept getting his muzzle off ( need to nail it to his head) just as the insurance ran out.

I don't understand why 54 is not high enough to medicate when the pony is symptomatic, I would want to at least try a low dose of Prascend for a couple of months before pts a chlids pony, that is assuming if he is sound he is going to do the job he is being kept for which he obviously cannot do at the moment.
In my experience if these small ponies can be got sound, managed well and the exercise is increased, in some cases by getting them into a fair amount of work, then many can go on for years but until they are fit enough to exercise it can be a vicious circle.

paddy555

Visit site
I have pony with borderline laminitis and I would never dream of having her PTS in those circumstances. I manage her very carefully and she is kept sound and happy, Too old to be ridden.
I would start by getting the pony on prascend for at least a trial. IMHO with experience of cushings 54 would be medicated and medication so far (for several years) means my pony remains sound and can also have grazing. In the meantime I would get the shoes off. That way you can monitor what the feet are really feeling and get in quick before things go too far. I use hoof boots if mine needs them. That makes her ultra comfy.

Mine was like yours (except unshod) and I was able to quickly turn things around and now she has the quality of life of a normal pony (she is 32) and I watch and check her constantly like a hawk.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Have you not followed up using prascend with the vet as previously advised on here?
If he has laminitis he shouldn't be out for 30 minutes a day currently. Please get a better veterinary opinion and advice about this asap, not in 2 weeks time. Much more important than an osteopath visit.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
glad others have said this was in a previous post i thought it seemed familiar.., what is the point of posting exactly the same thing and we all give the same answer., something is very wrong here. if you are not prepared to treat the pony as he should be with cushings medication then you had better PTS immediately and not wait for another 2 weeks......acth of 54 is HIGH and should be treated and your vet sounds useless!!!!!!

BOWS28

Visit site
I have to agree with 'ihatework' how comes its been ongoing 12 months and a vet hasn't seen him yet? Although ongoing laminitis is horrible for them so being pts wouldn't make you a bad horse mum!!

clydeviewequestrian

Visit site
My Welsh Sec A has cushings and suffers from laminitis, I've managed it for a few years now and he is on prascend with normal levels but his quality of life has went downhill over the past few months, he has spent more time in than out and he can no longer tolerate even a small amount of grass. He is being put to sleep tomorrow morning.

I do think your vet should allow you to try prascend to see if it makes a difference to your pony as it really can help, but you also shouldn't feel guilty if you have to make the decision to pts if you feel your pony is struggling and isn't getting to live a normal life, good luck it's a horrible thing to deal with!

_HP_

Visit site
Pain in both feet ina laminitis prone pony is most likely Laminitis not borderline laminitis.
A pony with active laminitis pain should not be out on grass for any amount of time.
A pony with a 54 reading and ,active laminitis IS a candidate for Prascend. If your vet doesn't agree, then get a second opinion.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
I’d deffo get another vet for 2nd opinion.

Also have you identified a cause? If it keeps reoccurring I’d look into PPID, EMS and insulin resistance.

Imo he should be off grass completely. There’s mixed opinions over whether box rest is right or bare turnout, in say an arena.

I don’t think you’re nasty for considering PTS at all, but I’d look at identifying a cause for lami and take it from there.

Reactions: JJS

paddy555

Visit site
glad others have said this was in a previous post i thought it seemed familiar.., what is the point of posting exactly the same thing and we all give the same answer., something is very wrong here. if you are not prepared to treat the pony as he should be with cushings medication then you had better PTS immediately and not wait for another 2 weeks......acth of 54 is HIGH and should be treated and your vet sounds useless!!!!!!

I didn't remember the earlier post. If I had I wouldn't have wasted time replying!

chocolategirl

Visit site
my daughters pony has borderline laminitis and is lame on both front feet, he is not insured as this has been going on for the last 12 months on and off, Farrier says not laminitis as he has checked his feet and re shod him this weekend the Physio says he's got Laminitis and I have the Oestopath coming on Tuesday, and in 2 weeks the vet is coming to block his feet to see if he's lame in the feet or could be something else so can go on the insurance. he is currently on box rest with 30 mins a day out in a small paddock with a muzzle on, this is really not a life for a pony and am I bad mummy for thinking if it is his feet is it just better to call it a day and send him over the rainbow bridge - sorry for the long rant
No you’re not. We too and this experience recently and as hard as it was, We have no regrets letting our little girl go. We miss her every day, but as we couldn’t, despite our best efforts, get the laminitis under control, we knew it was the right thing to do. She was 25 and we weren’t prepared to sentence her to a ‘life’ of confinement. Don’t feel bad, if you’re confident you have left no stone unturned, then you can let her go with a clear conscience. Good luck 😔

JFTDWS

Visit site
nail head 9tails.

If you want to PTS a pony we aren't going to stop you. But don't do it because there was nothing more to be done when plenty of people have told you otherwise (and other vets will too).

Indeed - and don't dress it up with all the rainbow bridge nonsense. You are in a position of responsibility over this animal - it is your duty to have the issue diagnosed and treated properly. If you cannot, or will not, do that, then yes, you should have it put down. It's not about being a bad "horse mummy", or sending a horse "over rainbow bridge" - it's about making a reasonable and responsible decision as the adult in charge of an animal, as to whether it is necessary to have that animal put down for its own welfare.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The pony needs to be on prascend find a vet that will prescribe it for you if the current vet won't, not all cushings tests are accurate my horse had 3 in one year as I was convinced she had it 3rd one was borderline so she went on prascend, I really would try the drug first before you pts and the pony should not be going on grass at all until it's sound.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Don't feel bad if you’re confident you have left no stone unturned, then you can let her go with a clear conscience. Good luck 😔
chocolategirl, the OP's conscience would not be be clear as there are many stones left for her to turn re treatment for this pony. To be fair, the current vet seems to be useless but the owner also appears to have her fingers in her ears.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
54 ACTH is above the normal range for PPID (50). I would also push for low dose prascend trial and reassess in 3-6 months.
As per the earlier thread it also depends very much on when the most recent sample was taken. 54 may be well over the cut off limit, which can vary between approx 29 to approx 49 depending on the time of year.
image.jpeg

JJS

Visit site
The way I see it, you have two options: you're either willing to medicate so you put the pony on Prascend and facilitate her recovery; or you're not willing and you have her PTS before she suffers any further. I know which option I'd choose. I also know I wouldn't have let it go on for this long before deciding.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There isnt a stone left unturned there's a boulder.

When I have tested previously (albeit under the free scheme) the lab have always requested information as to whether they have any symptoms. I would be very surprised if the report at that value and with symptomatic laminitis totally ruled out the use of prascend.

OP if you cannot afford a prascend trial then that is of course difference, but I really don't understand what you think people are going to say today that wasn't said at the weekend.

Chippers1

Visit site
My old pony was on box rest for 6 months with bad lami, came sound with heart bars then had lami again for 6 months - I was tearing my hair out and was at the end of my tether...I took his shoes off, found a management system that worked for him and he was then sound for another 7 years competing and being ridden as he was before, if not better. I lost him last year as his EMS/age caught up with him in the end but I am so thankful I didn't rush straight to PTS, we had so many fun years. I would get a second opinion (which is what I did!) and change his management.
I didn't end up having to spend a lot on vets bills, just bedding for the box rest really so it's not a case of being able to afford it if that is your issue.
It just requires a bit of flexibility and a change in routine but it can be done, I get that it is frustrating, I've been there (and fortunately my pony was very chilled and behaved himself on box rest) but I wouldn't call it a day yet.
I also wouldn't be turning the pony out, even for 30 mins, until sound.