bad morning!

magpiesyard

Visit site
Hi Guys n gals,
New pony has arrived, hes settled in nicely and smaking sure his prescence is known! Had a really bad morning today, apart from the muddy dog jumping out of the boot onto seats of car, and then falling through front door and spilling milk everywhere, I then managed to get bitten by the new boy! he's constantly nudging me and nussling for sweets, which if mouth is closed I don't mind, but today he actually got my finger and drew lots of blood! Want to nip that one in the bud! I shouted (mainly coz it really hurt) but wasn't sure how tough to be with him, he's 3yrs and only been with me for 4 days so I don't want to scare him, but also don't want him getting the better of me. Anyone had any experience with cheeky nippers?
Also his names Ruben, palamino welsh x new forest, I'm trying to think of a show name that involves rubys (jewels) any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Happy mudding x
cool.gif

Helen010382

community.webshots.com
I had this problem with one of my old ponies

I stopped all treats - if a treat was given (ie after being caught) it was given in a feed bucket and not off my hand.

I also carried a metal curry comb around with me so if he did try to bite he got a mouthful of the curry comb and not my flesh - he only had to do it a couple of times for him to get the idea!

He is young so it shouldn't be too hard to get him out of the habit.

As for a show name - What about 'Ruby Tuesday' (Rolling Stones song)

airedale

Visit site
don't slap him on the nose

if it doesn't work - and if he's a persistent sort that obviously has been fed treats - then where do you go from here

there was a thread 2 days ago about whether to slap horses on nose or not in NLounge - lots of ideas in that thread as alternatives.

why not just think of a nice 'prefix' that you like and go for a posh name 'Prefix' Reuben

as you're in Wales - how about Brenin Ruben - about the only word I know of Welsh - King Ruben

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Id give him a good tap on the nose and let him know he has been naughty. When i first got my horse he tried it on to see if he could get the better of me he woudnt even dream of doing it now they need to be showed who is boss whether they have just arrived or not. He will try it on tell him no!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but not on the nose as it may lead to another problem like being headshy!

[/ QUOTE ]
What - after one slap??

magpiesyard

Visit site
Thanks for all your thoughts, I was in 2 minds whether to give him a tap or not, after reading the post on hitting noses it seems that most of you feel biting is the only time its really necessary. I am inclined to agree, seeing as he is also hopefully going to be for 8 year old step daughter to ride and so manners need to be sorted out! I have stopped all tit bits as I think this has been a major part of his life so far and although I want him to know when he's been good i'm sure I can find another method with less painful consequences! Thanks again guys x