bad news for sonny ....

emmilou

Visit site
Hi all.....sad post im afraid.
i posted a wekk ago with the problem that sonny had lost a lot of weight and i was really worried. (tears...)
after test i have had the results and they are that he has either:
1. cancer or
2. bowl disease

to distinguish they want to pump him full of steroids, but i now dont know if i want to put him through that. if the test proves bowl disease he would end up on steroids for life, and would have to come of the bute and then would suffer from chronic lamness (arthritis) and constant bouts of lamenitis.
He also has a heart mumer. i love him to bits but i dont want him be in any pain just for my sanity.
being only 5, i have been told that the steroids would mearly mask the effect for a few years (if its not cancer)

i dont know what to do?
do i go ahead with the test?

any advise would be much appreciated as i cannot think straight at the moment x

Bossanova

Visit site
Aww I'm so sorry, poor little lad
frown.gif

If he were mine I wouldnt go ahead with it, but you know him best and you know what sort of a quality of life he'd be likely to have.
Let us know what you decide, we're here to support you whatever choice you make

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I have to agree with Boss. Long term he is going to struggle to have a pain free happy life. Ultimately though you need to go with your gut instinct - make sure the vet has properly explained to both scenerios so you are sure you have the full facts.

Good luck with your decision it is very difficult but you probably have a gut instinct in your way forward.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
My horse had a similar problem at the age of 18. I decided the tests were too invasive and had him PTS.

The problem with this situation is whatever tests they carry out it is unlikely to be a cureable problem but you won't know unless they carry out the tests. A bit of a vicious circle unfortunately.

You have to decide what is best for his quality of life and only you can decide this. The important thing to remember is whatever you decide you have made the decision in his best interests and that is the very best we can offer our friends.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Have you thought of alternative therapy? Homeopathy is well worth a shot - I think it is what has just worked for me in extremely 'unlikely' circumstances. Channel your thoughts positively and let him tell you what he needs. Keep your chin up, my thoughts are with you. Good luck.

pottamus

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I really think you need to investigate and explore fully with the vet about both scenarios and make sure you have all the facts and possible outcomes before making such a difficult decision. If the outcome was cancer and there was no long term solution other than masking with drugs I would have to seriously consider the PTS option...but you need to know your options first.
I hope things turn out for the best for you and your horse, take your time with any decision though.

Dovorian

Visit site
That's awful for you as well as poor Sonny. I hate to ask the quesiton, but is he insured? If so you may find that you need to investigate further - on the flip side the investigation may reveal that things are not as bad and a treatment can be offered.
To think that I've been moaning about lack of WEG coverage, your nightmare brings me back down to earth!

monstermunch

Visit site
You poor thing
frown.gif
You know your horse best. Follow your heart I'm sure you'll make the right decision for the both of you.
My heart goes out to you.

Fairynuff

Visit site
My heart goes out to you. If he was mine I would have already made the decision. I couldnt put my boy through it and although it would break my heart Id save him from a miserable life and pain. Its awful for you, specially as hes so young. Whatever you decide will be hard. A big hug, Mairi.x

BethH

Visit site
Hi am very sad to see your post, I agree with Pottamus that you shouldn't make any rash decisions and that you have a good think first before you make a choice. Is a second opinion an option? It might help you make a choice and put your mind at rest. I lost my beautiful old boy 18 months ago, I knew really that it was his time but by having a second opinion and trying some alternative therapies first, when he collapsed and had to be PTS I knew that I had explored every avenue and had done my best for him, I felt a lot less guilty (the guilt is automatic regardless of what choices you make!). It is really sad that your horse is so young, but maybe that makes it more worthwhile getting a definite diagnosis before you decide, I would clarify what sort of quality of life he would have on the steriods as you will have more risk of laminitus and may possibly have to restrict grazing/ food intake but it may mean he could be pain free and you could enjoy him for a few more years.

Good luck

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
Hi

I can certainly relate to what you are saying with regard to your horse.

In January this year I had a horse (age 7) in which had started to lose weight - I did the usual things of getting teeth checked, extra wormer & vet to blood test

Nothing showed up on any initial test but yet the mare continued to lose weight. Further tests where carried out and although no diagnosis was made the thoughts were the same as yours - bowel problem or cancer.

The horse was refered to an equine hospital for an abdominal scan which showed a small amount of thickening of the colon wall but not much else. The mare was to poor a condition to do investigative surgery to see if a cancerous lump could be found.

We threw everything at this horse (who was by now a hat rack) and used by conventional medicine (Steriods) and alternative treatment - herbs, supplements and also the owner got me to contact a faith healer who talk to the horse over the phone!!

During this time we the horse stayed bright and alert and never looked like giving up.

We got to the point where nothing seemed to be working and had the owner's permission if a change of steriods didnt work we could pts. In the following week whether the steriods helped or all the other things we were giving her started to work - she started to pick up.

The next worrying time came when we weaned her off the steriods. You now would't believe the difference.

It has been a long haul but the owner now has a very happy horse with a future and not on long term drugs

If you want to pm me for more info on exactly what we did and gave her that is no problem - I can also send you photos of her in both conditions (morbid I know but at least we can look at her now and then and see the remarkable change)