Bad timing....

pagancluf

Visit site
Don't know what to do - please tell me what you would do....ta..
Have booked a week-end away for 8 riders and their horses, in Derbyshire on 250 acres of off road riding and plenty of pubs!!! - but have two horses and even though a friend has bouht one downto be a companion for mine for the week-end (he'll be fine and fed etc) he came in from the field today with a very swollen, hot left front foot and is nodding in trot...got farrier out and he removed shoe and most of frog to see if abcess - sed no... got him stabled on his own as rest still out and deep bed, extra blanket, leg wraps, gonna get vet out tomoz if still same - Should I go away for week-end and leave him - feel so cruel?!?! What would you all do?
confused.gif

dwi

Visit site
Depending on where in Nottinghamshire and where in Derbyshire you are it couldn't be more than a two hours drive back if anything happened.

If the vet doesn't think its anything too serious I'd probably leave him with whoever was going to see to him already and go. You could come back every day if you really had to for peace of mind

dieseldog

Visit site
I would still go away, if its not an abcess which would involve loads of poulticing the only thing the vet is going to say is box rest and feed him these powders. You staying behind isn't going to be any more benefit to him than someone else doing it for him.

So I would go away completely guilt free and enjoy myself

pagancluf

Visit site
Thanks Dwi and dieseldog - I feel soooo guilty bout leaving him - by the way - are we going anyway near you Dwi (Hoe Grange) near carsington water?? - the farrier sed look out for the Bear pub as a local hunt meet there - do you know it?

dwi

Visit site
I used to live up there near matlock but I'm south of derby now.

Don't know the Bear pub but aviod the one at the entrance to Carsington water, very unfriendly. I can really recommend the one in the centre of Winster for lovely homecooked food or the Barley Mow in Bonsall, very friendly landlord and the international home of chicken racing. I kid you not

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
A watched kettle never boils - a watched limp never goes away? As long as horse is safe and has some supervision over his 'treatment', then leave him quietly to get better! If you stay and watch you'll be depressed at missing the hollier and cheered up by the break if you go. So go.

I, of course, would bed myself down in the stable and be a martyr to his leg....... No life whatsoever.

Do let us know how it goes - holiday and leg!

pagancluf

Visit site
SSM has come to the rescue - bless you honey xxxx - He was better this am - not so swollen so put on magno therapy boots for turn out and thought just give him an hour and see what happens - bugger canters off up the hill and gets his head down - hey ho - does he realise I had bad dreams all last night?!?!?!? But def did think of "brighteyes" idea of staying in stable with sleeping bag last night...snoring horse v snoring hubby?
Thanks SSM - I can go on jollies and know that he is in better care than mine..will phone u l8tr.
Will try and get some piccies on forum on return and check out for hols l8tr for SSM and the smaller gang.

dwi

Visit site
Yep Chickens ala bernard matthews

Having chased a few around the yard trying to put them to bed at night when they thought they would rather take their chances with the fox I can testify that chickens can run really fast if they want to.

I think it happens on one of the may bank holidays, we keep meaning to go, pop into the barley mow and the landlord can tell you all about it