Badminton 2011

ElleJS

Visit site
Well I have some work to do now!!

Recieved this email, thought many would be interested :)

The Mitsubishi Motors Badminton Horse Trials has decided to strengthen the qualifications required for entry to the event in 2011.

In addition to the standard requirements for a 4 star CCI laid down in the FEI Rulebook, all horses and riders will be required to have finished in the top 25% of a 3 star CCI or the top 50% of a 4 star CCI at some stage in their career. The objective is to ensure that Badminton entry is confined to those who have proved themselves capable of being competitive at the highest levels of the sport; and is against the background of considerably more entries being received in recent years than can be accommodated

As now, all entries received will be ranked according to points won in FEI 3 and 4 star competitions over the two years preceding the event; the 85 horses with the highest points will be accepted and all others placed on a waiting list, from which withdrawals will be replaced during the weeks prior to the event, which is on 22nd – 25th April 2011.

This change is being publicised now in order to give the maximum possible notice to riders and owners of the conditions that will be published in Badminton’s 2011 Schedule.

Both British Eventing / British Equestrian Federation and the FEI have given approval to these additional requirements.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I saw the announcement on the BE website.

I can see both sides tbh. Disappointing for those looking to achieve their dream but from the organisers point of view I guess they're looking to cut down the wait list and try to get the best competition possible.

kerilli

Visit site
Fair enough I guess, since there are plenty of other 4*s now so it's not as if it is only Badders or Burghley to aim for. However, having, like you, had a mare who was a xc superstar but very very 'challenged' in the dressage department, I do think it's a bit of a shame, I always loved seeing who won the Lorna Clarke trophy.

ElleJS

Visit site
i'd have been b****** on Connie! Bless her.... thankfully other mare can do dressage! phew!

Yes I think it is fair enough but thats probably because I don't have the challenges in the dressage I used to, had I, then I would have been a bit miffed!

I just wonder if horses are going to get run into the ground to achieve these results....

Gamebird

Visit site
I just read the email too! I think it was inevitable really as the entries were so high. It's the ultimate aspirational event and being free to enter hasn't harmed their popularity! ;) However I do think it displays a bit of a 'we're the top 4* in the country' attitude and make make it more of an elite place to be than Burghley. The people who said 4.5* maybe aren't far out...

charlimouse

Visit site
I can see both sides, but at the same time feel it is making Badminton even more the Holy Grail of eventing. Putting it out of reach from alot of aspirational eventers who maybe havn't had the background of WFP or OT. Does this mean it is going to be harder than the other 4*'s therefore making it a 5*????? I also would be worried about these aspirational eventers with only 1 horse at the level feeling like they have to run their horse's into the ground to achieve the additional qualification. It also means an even greater emphasis on the dressage, which I think is a worrying trend in eventing (or maybe it is just because i'm not a dressage fan, and it is my weakest phase!!!!).

ElleJS

Visit site
Badminton is A LOT less scary than Burghley, which I think is more like a 5*!! So i guess it is all down to it being the prestigious 4*. Yet it is more of a dressage comp than Pau and Burghley 4* and possibly even Kentucky and Luhmuhlen....

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Just go somewhere like Blair. People seem to get placed on very average dressage as the xc always seems to take its toll. I remember Chris King coming 2nd with 20 pens on the xc. Selina Elliott finished 9th with 20 pens last year and even WFP won on 66 last year which you rarely see.