Badminton Draw.....explain?

claracanter

Visit site
I see the drawn order for Badminton is up on their website. Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain why both Tina Cook and Ollie Townend have a choice of which order to ride their horses in, where as some of the other riders with more than one horse haven't. Gemma Tattersall was on twitter saying she'd prefer to be riding Arctic Soul first and not Pamero?

LeannePip

Visit site
Its because they still haven't decided their final horses - they can only ride 2 and 3 are still listed (4 in Tinas case). Which is also why certain people have drawn orders but are on the wait list because 3 horses will need to be compulsory withdrawn

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
I see the drawn order for Badminton is up on their website. Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain why both Tina Cook and Ollie Townend have a choice of which order to ride their horses in, where as some of the other riders with more than one horse haven't. Gemma Tattersall was on twitter saying she'd prefer to be riding Arctic Soul first and not Pamero?[/QUOTE

It’s because Oli & Tina have 3+ horses entered. They will declare 2 only and their running order of those 2 will be defined by the draw. But yes, they obviously can in part base their declaration decisions on the draw.

be positive

Visit site
Tina and Ollie have 3 rides entered but will only run 2 so they have slots to allow this, it is probably the one that will not run that is down twice not a choice of running order.

Fanatical

Visit site
I am sure riders used to be able to state their preferred order of riding when multiple horses were entered, but now that the draw is done live, which definitely adds to the excitement and build up, this can no longer be the case.
It is interesting though, as those with 2 horses this year nearly all have their 'big gun' as their first ride, which in most cases they would have preferred to run second. As much as it shouldn't be the case, a lot of the higher scores come late on the Friday afternoon of dressage. It will be very interesting that is for sure!

wkiwi

Visit site
It is interesting though, as those with 2 horses this year nearly all have their 'big gun' as their first ride, which in most cases they would have preferred to run second. As much as it shouldn't be the case, a lot of the higher scores come late on the Friday afternoon of dressage. It will be very interesting that is for sure!

Will be interesting to see the effect it has on their scores won't it.

debbielinder

Visit site
When i did a course walk with William Fox Pitt a few years ago he said you could put on entries which would be your preferred order to ride in if you had 2 entries but if you did you could almost guarantee they would give you the opposite that you asked for as if all the best horses went on the Thursday the competition could be won on a Thursday morning dressage mark so not very exciting. This new draw the names out of a hat started a few years ago after Oliver Townend was drawn 1st at Burghley for a few years on the run (though he did run 3 horses one year so 1st last and 1 in the middle does make sense) and complained so they changed it. Will be interesting this year as a lot of the top combinations have been drawn on the Thursday so one of the first to go could go into the lead and stay there.

claracanter

Visit site
When i did a course walk with William Fox Pitt a few years ago he said you could put on entries which would be your preferred order to ride in if you had 2 entries but if you did you could almost guarantee they would give you the opposite that you asked for as if all the best horses went on the Thursday the competition could be won on a Thursday morning dressage mark so not very exciting. This new draw the names out of a hat started a few years ago after Oliver Townend was drawn 1st at Burghley for a few years on the run (though he did run 3 horses one year so 1st last and 1 in the middle does make sense) and complained so they changed it. Will be interesting this year as a lot of the top combinations have been drawn on the Thursday so one of the first to go could go into the lead and stay there.

Interesting read. Thanks.