Badminton Grassroots - AMAZING!!

jess_asterix

Visit site
Here goes, this could be long!

I’m not going to lie I wasn’t overly excited when I entered Badminton Grassroots due to the fact we has been competing at 100 and I am itching to move onto Novices I even debated not going but mother persuaded me so we were entered and preparations were underway in the form of dressage lesson from Nicola Lickley at Kingswood Equestrian Centre.

Lorry was packed on Monday so first thing Tuesday we went for a dressage lesson to make sure everything was ok and he was great, ran through the test a few times and we were feeling confident. Back home to wash him and then put him on the walker for an hour before heading to Badminton.

15236_10151343732711755_1333515731_n.jpg

Driving into Little Badminton the excitement kicked in when I saw the main arena and that was it I was grinning to myself in the lorry. We arrived and unloaded where he had his temperature taken and all was fine so made him comfy in his stable then parked up and set up camp with my friends. We went to walk the XC course where I think I turned a shade of green (not sure why when Herbie is a machine!)

The XC I thought was super technical for a 90, skinnies galore. The water was a tight curving left line with a jump into water and then there was a double of skinny brushes, skinny houses and a step up to a skinny before the quarry which also had a skinny in! Good job he’s pretty straight. I knew time wouldn’t be an issue so I wasn’t too concerned about having to set up for a few fences. We took the horses for a lovely hack around the fields and the woods and then schooled him for 20 minutes. At this point in the day he had worked for nearly 2 hours and been on the walker for 1 and he was STILL sharp!!!! So an early night called ready for a 6am wake up to go and exercise him pre-dressage.

We did lots of stretching and lateral work in this early exercise to really get him free and moving through his back without being tight and tense. He was then put away for a couple of hours and we both got spruced up then back on for our test warm-up, I allowed myself 40 minutes and it was mostly needed, I could have got away with 30 though I think. Warmed up well, again lots of lateral work especially big leg yields to really get him moving and transitions within this.

Went into the arena and the rider before me was being spoken to the judge, this worked to my advantage as I had time to go round the arena 4 times before the bell which was great as he was very spooky and tight the first time but managed to get him where I wanted. Basically I don’t get very excited about dressage but we did everything in the right place and it was all pretty fluent and obedient, the one thing that let us down and dropped us to a 6 was his left rein trot before the ½ 20 he swung his quarters and I felt like if I really tried to correct him he would block against me, so threw away a couple of marks there but the rest was really pleasing and he was SO rideable which feels like a great achievement too me and it has been a battle to get him to this point.

Came out pleased with test, gave him cuddles put him away and the scores were up (why can’t they be this quick all the time!) we had a 30 dressage which was good with 1/3 of the section gone so still a lot to change.

577463_10151350399731755_1611008796_n.jpg

I walked the XC course again this time with my parents, Mum was nervous, Dad told me to stop being stupid and I’d fly round it because were both awesome, got to love a confidence giving Dad despite the fact he knows nothing about XC.

935406_4659080564469_422605500_n.jpg

Watched some SJ and it was causing carnage in the 2012 BE90, was beginning to worry me slightly after our fence down at Kelsall, I didn’t walk the SJ until the next morning though so I didn’t overthink it. I then walked the XC for the 3rd time on the course walk with Nick Gauntlett and it was really helpful, good tips on what lines to ride and how to ride certain parts of the course. I think these are a great idea for people that were there without their entourage of trainers!!! Found out I was equal 7th overnight in the dressage so not too shabby out of 69.

Went out for dinner that night and could feel myself getting progressively more nervous which is something I don’t normally do, I don’t think I was worried I think I was feeling the pressure as I had a lot of people wishing me to do well and my parents put so much into it I really wanted to make them proud. Bed time came and it wasn’t for sleeping that night, I tossed and turned all night and everything that could possibly go wrong on the XC course did, therefore of course our round would be perfect!! Woke up at 5:30am and thought I may as well go to feed and muck out then I took him for a walk for half an hour and gave him a pep talk haha.

Walked the SJ and tbh I didn’t think there was anything that should be a problem if it was rode correctly and I used my head. Got to the warm up and he was KEEN, I could barely hold him and going round with his mouth open despite a crank and flash was the order of the day, never mind can’t knock him for wanting to get on with it.
Jumped 1 great, slowed him down to 2 the planks downhill, then round to 3 a vertical which he popped should have got a bigger canter to it as added a stride to 4, flew through the double at 5 and a sharp half halt was required after to 6 an oxer going downhill towards the collecting ring, turned inside to 7 the triple bar and he popped that, got the control for 8 a flimsy vertical on an angle then a dog leg to 9 another vertical then onto 10 an oxer on a dog leg which lots had ran out at and he stayed straight, I controlled the shoulder and he popped it sweetly, a clear round in the bag!!! Smiles all round!

[Content removed]
Photo Thanks to E-Venting

Continued......

Last edited by a moderator:

jess_asterix

Visit site
Now I was really feeling the pressure as not many had gone clear and if I went clear XC I would definitely be placed. Put him back in the stable to chill for half hour while I composed myself and got changed for XC, got the support team organised with a wheelbarrow for tack and cool boots to take to the finish and we were off.

Warmed up well despite a few deep shots where he thought he knew better (I think he does actually!) Over to the start box 5, 4, 3, 2, 1….. we were off albeit slower than normally conscious of my liking to go too fast, we got a duff stride to 1 and 2 then we sped up abit and we met everything nicer then! Popped over 3 the trakehner type fence then a little stretch before 4ab, the wishing wells got my line and he just popped through here, galloped on up the hill past the house, WOW! And over the chair, next up was the lake where there was quite a few people watching, had a quick though of ‘you better not screw up Jess!’ and we were in the water, I thought it felt rather smooth and we jumped out very easily and galloped on to the next fence to a round of applause from spectators!

Fence 5
[Content removed]

Fence 7 Thanks to E-Venting
[Content removed]

Over 7 a simple table fence then onto 8 a hedge fence followed by 9ab a double of skinny brushes, landed nicely after the hedge, got our line and Herbie took charge and did his thing through the double making it feel easy! Onto 10 a roll top with some pretty flowers on top, flew that then down the hill and back up and straight over the brush at 11. Next up was more skinnies with the houses at 12 ab, 3 strides between them (I think!) and he locked onto his line and stayed on it, clever boy. Next up the Coffin (Sorry rail, ditch, rail) and he didn’t want to slow down as much as I would have liked but anyway popped through nicely with a lovely little stride after the ditch to the rail and away we went, I was smiling lots at this point!

14 was another brush on top of a hill, downhill and a right handed turn to another brush followed by a sharp left turn down the hill and over the bridge, slightly over jumped the first brush which meant a little bit of pulling was needed to get the control for the turn to the next brush but nevertheless he seemed to know what he was doing! Over the bridge where he thought the gravel was scary and onto the Wall at 16, flew that very neatly and we set up for the step up to skinny arrowhead at 17ab, I turned a little early but Herbie stayed true to form and was dead straight through it, galloped on up the hill to 18 the log trailer which he just popped out his stride then onto ‘The Quarry’ at 19ab, log on top of the hill, 3 strides downhill to a skinnier log, popped that nicely and stayed on my line which I had walked and then round the tight corner to 20, slightly deep one as he was looking at the book and through the finish. Herbie was amazing never once gave me a feeling of doubt an just flew and responded when needed!! I love him!!

Fence 16
[Content removed]

We were very smiley at this point and Herbie looked like he could go round again, at least I know he is fit enough!! Waterboys were there to wash off which were a great help as it was a long walk back.

942420_10151352790006755_2104251097_n.jpg

I was currently in 2nd place after my XC. Getting exciting now, but nothing I could do so I could relax slightly.

Back to the lorry and got Herbie comfy in his stable then it was a tense wait to find out if the 4 that could go in front of me would. In this time we ordered a DVD of it all, bought Herbie a new bridle and me some new breeches, drank a jug of Pimms and some wine to find out that only 1 had pushed me down and I was in 3rd!!!!!

Smiles from everyone and lots of hugs and kisses to celebrate, then it was the prize giving in front of Badminton House, WOW. What an experience, it was amazing, we were chauffeured across the park to the house and then from the prize giving to the Media Centre for a press conference. It was all so incredible and surreal, they had made such an effort to make the grassroots competitors feel part of the bigger event and made them feel special.

941406_10151360172745940_187664147_n.jpg

Smiles with my friend
943487_10151352789901755_746556273_n.jpg

941025_10151352790141755_1609895388_n.jpg

Just to add to the happiness I won £350 and a new XC hat courtesy of PROtector.

I literally cannot thank my parents enough, I owe it all to them without their support I wouldn’t have been able to get there with their endless hours spent following me round the country as groom and the help I get at home when I’m busy with university or work. They are amazing and I really hope I made them proud.

Thank you to everyone who has wished me luck and has supported me along the way as well to all who have offered me advice on many different things, it really means a lot.

I will do a picture and video post when I have more!!

Sorry about the length there was soo much to fit in! Birthday cake and Thorntons on offer.
Look at the cake
941131_10151352789216755_227992654_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lar

Visit site
Wow! Well done. What an amazing report. Huge congratulations.

(and I LOVE the cake!)

bellatrix

Visit site
Well done Jess :D absolutely amazing result.
He looks fantastic in the pictures. Brilliant report.
P.s the cake looks very yummy :p

digger2

Visit site
What a fantastic report and pics, huge well done, thanks for taking the time to post - hows the disertation!!

Congratulations :):): on your amazing result

Nicnac

Visit site
Congratulations and thanks for a super report - great build up to the final result.

Your parents must be so so proud of you - I know I would be ;)

Javabb94

Visit site
Absolutely fantastic well done :D

you and herbie are just such a fantastic partnership - the first picture is really nice :)

seriously well done and good luck for your future events with him!

TableDancer

Visit site
Don't know why but you've made me a bit teary - really lovely report, and how much you love your gorgeous horse and your parents really comes over :)

Massive well done again, now at last you can crack on with some Novices :D xx