Badminton query...

Unicorn

Visit site
I'm really not sure what to do here!

For the first time in about fives years I can afford to go to Badminton. My OH has agreed to come with me and camp for all four days and I have money for shopping!

...but.... we've just been asked to look after his parents adorable, but mental, 8 month old border collie bitch for that weekend. She's a poppet, but quite an intense one and I'm really wondering if this is going to work.

I'm not sure how she'll handle sleeping in the tent, and it will mean we can't go and watch the dressage, which both me and hubby were really looking forward to.

I still really want to go, but don't know if I'm just going to be setting myself up for a nightmare!!

Any thoughts or suggestions? I seem to recall there being a 'doggy creche' last time I visited, but that was years ago and I was dogless, so may have just hallucinated it!

Bozzy

Visit site
I *think* you can only put the dog in the creche for a max of 2 hours.

Personally, by the sounds of it I don't think it would be a great experience for a mental collie!! You have to think when you're in the tent at night there are a lot of noises and lights still going on around you, it can be quite hard for a dog to settle?

Unicorn

Visit site
Thanks - I'm glad I didn't imagine it!

I'm not sure it would be great for her either - I suspect she'd find it really hard to settle. I think she'd love the Saturday, but I'm not at all sure about the rest of it.

Such a shame, I really want to go, especially as I finally have money and a pony to buy things for, but I'm starting to think it may not be such a good idea
frown.gif

Unicorn

Visit site
Not that we can find - it's the bank holiday weekend and everywhere is full
frown.gif

It's a shame - when I was a kid I was soo jealous of all the people at Badminton who had a dog with them! She's just so excitable about the whole world that I think she might be a bit overloaded by it all - I nearly am, and I'm allegedly a grown-up!

DidiR

Visit site
Perhaps you need to walk the course first to wear her out.... will the dressage be on a screen anywhere outside the grandstands?

Am sure the dog creche will be relatively quiet on dressage days.. so perhaps you could sneak a couple of hours in the grandstands each day...

By Saturday I should think she'll have got used to the idea!!

the other thought is, have you tried any kennels on the way to Badminton, or around Badminton, for just one or 2 nights, say Thurs/Fri, before the BH weekend?

jewel

Visit site
i'm sorry but i would be going to badminton and tell o/h parents its there dog there problem sorry.

kizzywiz

Visit site
I wouldn't take the dog, I hate seeing them being dragged around & trodden on in the shops, & around the jumps on XC day. What about finding a friend to go with you & OH could dog sit at home, could someone else, friend, brother, sister?? have doggy for perhaps the Sat so at least you could do XC day together. I have tickets for all 4 days, now have had a fall out with my friend, my OH is completely non horsey & won't come, but says I can't camp on my feeble lonesome in case I get molested (chance would be a fine thing!) so at this rate I can have the dog for you!!!

i_should_be_working

Visit site
Sorry - if the parents were aware of your plans to go to Badminton, then the dog is their problem. They should take responsibility for their own pet and rearrange their plans if necessary! Its not fair on the dog or you

Nosey

Visit site
I personally don't think its the best place for a dog really despite the zillions that go there each year. XC day is so manic its hardly a nice day out for the dog esp. a hyper collie ( and I know coz we have one!!)

Unicorn

Visit site
Yay! All sorted by my wonderful hubby!

The dog will stay with our friends just the other side of Bristol, as will we overnight, so we get the best of everything - dog will have a whale of a time playing with their spaniel, we get somewhere comfy to sleep and get to watch everything without worrying!

And he's given me some more spending money!