Badminton thread

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
He basically said I hope Jock, William and Michael have fences down. Its good to be competitive but that was nasty and especially saying that to your team mate :( Jock deserved that win he is a brilliant rider with lovely horses

He did, but he actually said "I know its unsporting but..." first! If he'd said anything else he would have been lying - of course he wanted them to knock down. He was laughing a bit too.

Elsbells

Visit site
He did, but he actually said "I know its unsporting but..." first! If he'd said anything else he would have been lying - of course he wanted them to knock down. He was laughing a bit too.

Oh yes, I did hear that but I thought yep fair play. It's called being competitive and that is what drives anyone to win.

Ktrice1994

Visit site

True but if he knew it was unsporting then why say it in public, he could have had more decorum in the interview. Its a bit of a tasteless comment- you dont hear William or any other competitor say it. You can be competitive and out to win but that comment was a step further then that I believe. He is obviously one of the best eventers and horsemen in the world so I respect him for his ability

teapot

Visit site
He went straight up to Jock Paget and congratulated him and was very modest in the interview too :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I thought AN was very straightforward, honest and sensible in the interview. Of course he was hoping they'd have fences - he'd be a rotten competitor if he didn't! He was straight over to congratulate Jock after anyway, and looked really pleased for him.

I'd rather he was honest and came out with it, than hide it behind poorly spoken half-truths.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I thought AN was very straightforward, honest and sensible in the interview. Of course he was hoping they'd have fences - he'd be a rotten competitor if he didn't! He was straight over to congratulate Jock after anyway, and looked really pleased for him.

I'd rather he was honest and came out with it, than hide it behind poorly spoken half-truths.

I thought so too. I would rather all of them be politely honest. He wasn't rude about it or nasty. As long as he was smiling and congratulated whoever won afterwards, who cares. He has been honest, interesting and good humoured throughout this event really. Lets face it, he could have been really stressed about the grandslam or grumpy about the dog, but he has happily chatted naturally to all interviews with a smile on his face..

Ktrice1994

Visit site
I thought so too. I would rather all of them be politely honest. He wasn't rude about it or nasty. As long as he was smiling and congratulated whoever won afterwards, who cares. He has been honest, interesting and good humoured throughout this event really. Lets face it, he could have been really stressed about the grandslam or grumpy about the dog, but he has happily chatted naturally to all interviews with a smile on his face..

True I agree honesty is the best way to go and he is a brilliant rider who, alongside William, has had to deal with a huge amount of pressure and scrutiny over the past few days and since Kentucky

TarrSteps

Visit site
Andrew can't win. If he doesn't show emotion he's a robot, if he does he's a bad sportsman. How is telling the truth about how he feels at a very stressful moment - with a wry smile - unsportsmanlike when it's okay for people on internet forums to say they are 'glad' he didn't win on the basis of a few minutes they've seen on tv.

Anyway, heroes and villains are part of the theatre of sport. Who gets which spot usually comes down to media training and public speaking prowess as much as anything.

Ktrice1994

Visit site
If AN had won then he would have been a worthy winner and I think he would have deserved it given the record he has got. He is perceived as the 'villain' in the rivalry between himself and WFP, which is all part of the sporting world.

I admire him for speaking the truth and smiling during a stressful situation and i take back the things i said as he did a superb job over the 4 days

JandP

Visit site
If I had 250k at stake, I'd be willing people to have poles too :)

Kind of glad that eventing has proved that yet again, anything can happen no matter how good you are. Its one of the best things about the sport.

Penumbra

Visit site
I don't think AN was especially unsporting in his interview, I know he is supposed to always wish everyone else the best, but there was a lot of money at stake. At the end he was there straight away to congratulate Jock Padget (to be fair so was MJ, who I thought was very calm after such an unlucky pole). I also expected him to have made more of a fuss about the dog on course, as that could have really caused him some problems.

We are just used to all the Brittish riders acting as if they couldn't care less about who wins and being very self depricating, but I think that is just down to our culture, and other countries expect their sportsmen and women to show a bit more determination to win.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I do think that's a valid point re nationality. If this weekend proved anything, it's that it's not just a "British" sport anymore.

WandaMare

Visit site
I think it would have been okay if he'd have said he badly wanted to win this year and hoped things had gone this way etc. It was just unfortunate the way he put it imo, that he wanted Jock and Michael to have poles down. It did sound a bit unsporting and its unusal too, to hear a rider wishing fellow competitors misfortune. That's just my view. I do think he's a fab competitor though and I totally admire his riding skills.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Yes, perhaps the Brits should stop being so polite and get angry! Get the adrenalin going and get battling!

Meh, people should be what they are, Brits included. They just shouldn't necessarily assign malicious motives to people who do things differently. :)

blue2262

Visit site
I thought AN's behavior after he jumped clear was quite disgraceful, trying to whip the crowd up to unsettle the others. I know there is history and rivalry between him and WFP, but I can't imagine WFP doing anything like that!
Delighted that JP won, yesterday everyone was talking about the other 3 as if he didn't feature, almost as though while no one was looking he won!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
He basically said I hope Jock, William and Michael have fences down. Its good to be competitive but that was nasty and especially saying that to your team mate :( Jock deserved that win he is a brilliant rider with lovely horses

If I had that amount of money riding on their results I'd be wishing they had a sudden attack of the squits too as well as poles down. Absolutely understandable reaction from him, I like his honesty.

Ktrice1994

Visit site
If I had that amount of money riding on their results I'd be wishing they had a sudden attack of the squits too as well as poles down. Absolutely understandable reaction from him, I like his honesty.

Yes but when you take into account the fact that Nicholson was encouraging the crowd to go ballistic before William came him, that was not especially sporting and yes whilst i understand there was a huge amount of money at stake, i think he should have kept that thought to himself. I think he is one of the best event riders of all time and i have nothing against him, I dont wish to say anything bad against a rider of his calibre

KatB

Visit site
It makes me laugh that everyone loves it when eventing gets into the media because of rivalry, then when AN play's the part of the "vallain" as he's been made out to be, to carry it on, suddenly he's disgraceful and unsporting. I love AN as he is honest and pretty blunt, as he doesn't need "fans" to make him a living, he does that through sheer talent and being very good at being a horseman. When he's dragged into the media as a celebrity, he plays up to his reputation, and surely that's not a bad thing?! No-one except those in the sport knows what's really happening behind closed doors.

On another note, fantastic result I think, massive well done to Jock. We just need some more English 20 somethings to emulate his success...

Ktrice1994

Visit site
It makes me laugh that everyone loves it when eventing gets into the media because of rivalry, then when AN play's the part of the "vallain" as he's been made out to be, to carry it on, suddenly he's disgraceful and unsporting. I love AN as he is honest and pretty blunt, as he doesn't need "fans" to make him a living, he does that through sheer talent and being very good at being a horseman. When he's dragged into the media as a celebrity, he plays up to his reputation, and surely that's not a bad thing?! No-one except those in the sport knows what's really happening behind closed doors.

On another note, fantastic result I think, massive well done to Jock. We just need some more English 20 somethings to emulate his success...

He is not being portrayed as a celebrity by the media, its just one of those, "villain vs hero" sporting stories and everyone has an opinion. I believe both are extraordinary horsemen with different personalities and its just what I believe. Everyone is entitled to an opinion without it being 'belittled'. I don't want to get into a fight it was a fantastic Badminton and was one of the best I have ever watched and is all down to superb horsemen and their achievements

TarrSteps

Visit site
Tbf, WFP doesn't exactly need fans to make a living either. ;)

I agree, it's about the riding and the horsemanship and a little bit of luck. Today they were all equal in the first two and it went Jock's way in the last one. They are all so close to doing everything right.

It does make me laugh though. Equestrian sports want to be taken into the public consciousness, to get the sponsorship and attention that comes with it. This is part of it, not just the drama within the sport but the internet disagreements around it. :) It keeps people tuning in!

Replay

Visit site
Just watched that video of AN explaining why he was getting the crowd wound up after his showjumping. Not hugely sporting imho....

JFTDWS

Visit site
AN was just milking the atmosphere - sport at that level is all about the atmosphere, the tension, the thrill - it's not like WFP is some green as grass newbie who would be thrown by it. He's a professional who does this week in, week out - a bit of crowd noise is hardly going to rattle him!

*snorts* White breeches... What a thought :eek:

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I think the crowd at Badminton are knowledgeable enough not to distract William. They cheer loudly enough when he comes in but are respectfully quiet when he was jumping. I think that was probably tongue in cheek from AN. I was there and I'm sure nothing AN did distracted WFP or was in anyway responsible for the faults he had.