Badminton with a toddler...

bex1984

Visit site
We're taking our 23 month old little girl to badminton (Friday and Saturday). Any tips for keeping her happy/keeping us sane?

She loves horses and loves days out so I'm hoping it'll be OK...

dieseldog

Visit site
I would do just whatever you would normally do to keep your sanity. you've had her 23 months you must know by now what keeps her happy. If she likes an afternoon nap go back to the car early etc.

bex1984

Visit site
I would do just whatever you would normally do to keep your sanity. you've had her 23 months you must know by now what keeps her happy. If she likes an afternoon nap go back to the car early etc.

I normally keep her happy with food and ponies - so hopefully we'll be OK! We're hoping she'll nap in her pushchair/backpack... Fingers crossed. We took her to the local point to point a few weeks ago and she was so excited she refused to have a nap... Late afternoon was an interesting time that day!!

justabob

Visit site
I would leave her at home, I am sure her attention span will be shorter than yours no matter how much she enjoys horses.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I would leave her at home, I am sure her attention span will be shorter than yours no matter how much she enjoys horses.

Why? Its just a walk around a park really - she can be put in the buggy when she's tired.

OP, I doubt she will even notice the horses on XC day, they wizz past so quickly, so I would just treat it as a walk with some toys and treats and a picnic along the way, while you get to watch the horses.

bex1984

Visit site
We've got a back carrier - she loves it! We're thinking we will alternate between that and the pushchair :)

We booked to go away for this 4 months ago (it's my 30th... Eeek!) and originally she wasn't going to come. But we just can't not take her - it doesn't feel right, I want her to come.

Highlands

Visit site
They will be a crèche/ activities place why not go and see what they offer and let her have a break and play etc with their toys! Shopping with a pushchair from a selfish person who gets trod on, tripped over it and has it generally shoved about please do use a carrier.. Same as dogs do not drag them about letting people tread on them. Park the pushchair maybe!

Clare85

Visit site
We took our little girl last year when she was 18 months. We went armed with her buggy, a cool bag full of goodies and lots of sun cream. She just slept in her buggy when it was time for her nap. She was happy to sit with us and eat or play quietly whilst we were watching the action. If she needed a run around my hubby just took her to an open space and let her run off some steam. We had a great day.

One thing I would say is try and get there early doors. Not sure if you've seen the other recent Badders thread but by all accounts the traffic is going to be worse than normal this year due to a clash with another big event up the road. Traffic with a toddler would be a nightmare so avoid if you can.

Have a great time :)

bex1984

Visit site
Thanks, I've seen the traffic stuff and we're coming from the other side - but we always get there really early anyway (I guess that's a benefit of having a toddler - we're up by 6am anyway!)

hoggedmane

Visit site
I took my daughter at the same age. Make sure you have a buggy that goes over grass. I had a fab three wheeler so was no problem but did see some people struggling with normal buggies. We found a spot under a tree where we could see the action and she played with toys for a while on a rug (and bugs and sticks too!). She enjoyed spotting the horses and watching them jump.

I left her for a couple of hours (while I shopped in the Norland Nanny creche that was there) and she was very happy - mind you she was the sort of toddler who was happy to left anywhere.

I would definitely take the buggy - I miss mine now when I go shopping as there is nowhere to put all the goodies!!

I always write my phone number on my children's arms while we are out in case we get separated although at that age you are less likely to lose her!

Dunlin

Visit site
I had rubber bracelets made up with my mobile number on when I took 2 small ones to a large airshow. I suppose you could use face paint crayons to write it on them.

minkymoo

Visit site
I didn't know there wasa. Crèche! My daughter will be 21 months when we go and the weather report says it's going to rain pretty much all day! This was not part of the plan so I'm a bit worried now! We're only taking a pushchair (as we don't have the high up thing) and reins for letting her run around a bit. Looks like we're going to need a waterproof coat and maybe some new wellies for her too!

hoggedmane

Visit site
I've had a look on the tradestands and can't see a creche this year. It was run by Norland College and was staffed by trainee nannies. It was excellent and they only asked for donations for up to two hours.