Badminton XC coverage is not live via the BBC red button this year

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Unfortunately this year there will be no live coverage of the XC at Badminton on the BBC red button as there has been in previous years :(.

There will the usual highlights program on the beeb on the Sunday which will include live coverage of the top 10 to SJ.

For those, like me, who will not be able to cope without my live Badminton fix, there is a subscription service, which is £14.99 if you buy before April 1st, then £19.99 after that. You do get access for a year included.

https://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/b...2HH-_fBweURXaCizx5B_WhV5ulxUHJ6xV6WY3PFcIHzIE

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The beeb wouldn't cough up enough to pay for the coverage.

Badminton sent out a questionnaire a year or two back about how much (if anything) people would be prepared to subscribe. I recall stating about £20 - £25 ish. Well worth it for me. I don't think we'll be making our usual annual visit to walk the XC on the Thursday, though.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I'm also not super angry at this, I am happy to pay my way to support the continuation of big events and it's cheaper than going there in person as it's miles away from me. I look forward to it all year.
Thanks for letting me know though, I wouldn't have spotted this until the day of when I was looking on the red button!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Subscribed.

Went round the houses a bit at first, as initially I presumed that I could subscribe using my existing Badminton ticket office log in details, and it had a bit of a tantrum about that. All good once I realised that I needed to make a fresh on line account for Badminton TV.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've paid for Badminton TV too - it's discounted until the end of March.

IMHO it's quite understandable why they've pulled it from BBC Red Button given the last few years - I had no idea until recently the costs to show it on the RB.

reynold

Visit site
I do not have a TV capable of streaming and do not have any of the TV streaming services like Netflix.

OH and I enjoy watching the XC together on RB usually. Huddling round a small laptop screen relying on not very fast BB will be impossible.

I pay my TV license every year reluctantly as I watch only about 3 programs on the BBC in total (and as one of those is Holby which the beeb have cancelled I'll be watching even less after next week's final episode)

Consequently I'll be watching the highlights program on the sunday and making do with that.

In the current financial situation I would not be spending £20 on the streaming if I did have the technology capable of supporting it, as I would be using that money to put fuel in the car so I can see my pony.

I hope that Burghley will not do the same thing but fear it will.

As Equestrianism is one of very few sports where men and women compete on equal terms I would have thought broadcasting it in full as in the past would be right up the beeb's street.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's the end of an era, for sure, but it all comes down to the bottom line.

Why is the live coverage no longer on BBC Red Button?

Badminton Horse Trials is solely responsible & pays for the production of the programme, which in turn the BBC contribute towards. The production for Badminton TV Livestream is the same as it has been for the BBC Red Button; over the past two years, we have been working very closely with the BBC to ensure we continue to broadcast Badminton coverage on terrestrial TV as we understand the importance of this to both our viewers and sponsors alike. The sad reality is that the gap between rising broadcast production costs (paid for by Badminton Horse Trials) and the reducing contribution paid by the BBC to cover these costs has become so vast, that if we do not now put the live coverage (apart from top 10 show jumping) behind a pay wall it would also make broadcasting anything on the BBC unviable.

Surbie

Visit site
Thanks for the heads-up, I love Badminton, and would have been grinding my teeth trying to find it. Not sure whether I will subscribe, it depends on how free I am at the time to watch enough of it.

eta: ah soddit. subscribed.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Trouble is, will I be able to watch it? I can watch Netflix with the odd twirly circle, so should that be the same?

Alibear

Visit site
I subscribed I've been watching the previous year's highlights. I'm really pleased to see Tiddlypoms post that the coverage should be what we're used to.

TPO

Visit site
Is now an appropriate time to complain about the license fee? I watch zero BBC channels, TV or radio, nor use the iplayer. Yet I've got to pay more than I do for netflix and prime because I have TVs capable of receiving it.

The only thing I watched on BBC was Badminton. Missed the covid years and now it's not on this year. It's ridiculous that we are held to ransom by the license fee and other channels produce better quality programmes and journalism without the fee

Just having a huff about the cost of everything and the government creaming off it ?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I do not have a TV capable of streaming and do not have any of the TV streaming services like Netflix.

OH and I enjoy watching the XC together on RB usually. Huddling round a small laptop screen relying on not very fast BB will be impossible.

I pay my TV license every year reluctantly as I watch only about 3 programs on the BBC in total (and as one of those is Holby which the beeb have cancelled I'll be watching even less after next week's final episode)

Consequently I'll be watching the highlights program on the sunday and making do with that.

In the current financial situation I would not be spending £20 on the streaming if I did have the technology capable of supporting it, as I would be using that money to put fuel in the car so I can see my pony.

I hope that Burghley will not do the same thing but fear it will.

As Equestrianism is one of very few sports where men and women compete on equal terms I would have thought broadcasting it in full as in the past would be right up the beeb's street.
You can plug a laptop into a tv and it will show it on screen. Just need a HDMI cable.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Is now an appropriate time to complain about the license fee? I watch zero BBC channels, TV or radio, nor use the iplayer. Yet I've got to pay more than I do for netflix and prime because I have TVs capable of receiving it.

The only thing I watched on BBC was Badminton. Missed the covid years and now it's not on this year. It's ridiculous that we are held to ransom by the license fee and other channels produce better quality programmes and journalism without the fee

Just having a huff about the cost of everything and the government creaming off it ?

Can you opt out of the BBC license fee? I always thought you could but may well be wrong.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My tech support tells me that our home internet connection is 10 - 15 Mb/sec on a bad day, 60 - 80 Mb/sec on a good day. So ours is far from top speed.

Live streaming is challenging, but the 2021 Kentucky horse trials live stream was pretty smooth, it was on Discovery+ I think. Anything by Horse & Country is a nightmare.

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
from what I remember it didn’t cover the full event anyway? Only the XC and the last past of the showjumping I think which used to annoy me cause I like to watch the full thing. Happy to pay to watch though I think it’s one of those special events that’s well worth it

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Not if you watch live TV and I watch STV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 (home & away fix, don't judge!)

If you are that way inclined it's actually illegal for the TV License people to enter your house without a police officer with a warrant unless you invite them in... I doubt they can confirm the capabilities of your TV from the front door..

Clodagh

Visit site
My tech support tells me that our home internet connection is 10 - 15 Mb/sec on a bad day, 60 - 80 Mb/sec on a good day. So ours is far from top speed.

Live streaming is challenging, but the 2021 Kentucky horse trials live stream was pretty smooth, it was on Discovery+ I think. Anything by Horse & Country is a nightmare.
Do you know if you can watch it at any time? I don’t want to sign up and then miss it due to a crisis!