Badminton XC

LaurenBay

Visit site
Is anyone going?

I went last year for the first time and loved it so much, we booked to go again.

I am going with my cousin only for the XC day and we will bring a picnic with us too. Last year it was such a nice warm day, hoping for the same.

Last year I parked in a quiet carpark, I cannot for the life remember the name, but the helpful people of HHO guided me to this one last year :)

Bernster

Visit site
We're making a weekend of it. Our annual horsey trip out which we really look forward to. We've got tickets for all 3 days. Bliss! And OH has suggested we head up early on Friday so I can have more time to browse the shops. How blessed am I?!

And for the first time I know an actual person competing - David Britnell has given me some jumping lessons. It's his and his horse's first time so I'm really hoping they have a good run.

We just park wherever we get directed to :) Enjoy !!

Michen

Visit site
I detest Badminton on the XC day and vowed never to go again, much better viewing from the TV instead of trying to get through crowds, people with knackered dogs, so busy. I am however going as groom for my friend in the Grassroots and then will watch the rest on TV :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Totally agree Michen, it's much better to watch on tv as you see so much more ... but now I no longer go eventing myself it's the only time I get to feel the "hooves galloping on turf" adrenalin buzz so do usually trundle along in person ;)
Funds are tight this year so prob just watch on the box, boo.

Steerpike

Visit site
That's the reason I go on the Wednesday, it's the cheapest day, I get a decent look at the shops without massive crowds and then I get to watch all the action on tv, also helps I'm only 50 minutes down the road any further and I probably wouldn't bother going.

TPO

Visit site
I'm in the minority I know but I didnt enjoy being there. I've only made the trip down once and there was so much I wanted to see but saw next to none of it.

Half was the people I was there with wanted to park up and eat or just walk around the trade stands (seen one seem them all IMO) when I really wanted to watch the riding and see every gance jumped and the other half of the issue was the crowds. At "good" fences it was impossible to get a clear view at any of them. It was much later in the afternoon before I managed to get out for a walk around some of the course but I'd given up by that point!

I personally prefer watching it on TV while online shopping #2birds1stone ha ha

A couple of other friends went the year before me and camped. They had an amazing time and absolutely loved it so different strokes for different folks!

Barlow

Visit site
I’m going on XC day for the first time in a few years - usually go up on the Friday but fancy hearing the hooves on the ground again! We are getting a coach up so can take full advantage of the gin tent!

Reactions: TPO

eggs

Visit site
We are going on Thursday so walk the course without the huge grounds and do some shopping. Will record xc on the red button as that way I should get to more of the xc

Reactions: TPO

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Nothing would persuade me to brave the crowds on the Saturday o_O! We're going on the Thursday to walk the course then watch the dressage. I've nothing special on my shopping list as I've now sorted out my new Ariat short boots and Tredstep half chaps locally and on line. I bought a new Air Jacket last year. I decided that this year that I didn't want to waste the day trying on stuff. Though there will, of course, be some browsing.

A lesurely return on Friday via Slimbridge wetland centre and Saturday will be spent watching the live XC.

ETA I've forgotten the name of the 'quieter' car park, but it's absolutely one I'd head to if I was going on XC day. It's only open on XC day, the entrance to it is at the bottom right (SE) of the black track showing where we walked last year, 'Park Pale'.

image.png

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
The best car park on Xc day imo (unless you are lugging shopping around) is Luckington lane.

But unless I ‘had’ to there on the Saturday then I stay well clear, red button Xc action all the way for me.

Not sure when I will go in this year, will depend a bit on work and who runs when

LaurenBay

Visit site
ihatework thank you! that was the one I used last year! We got there super early so went shopping before the crowds, when back to the car to dump the shopping and had some food, then we watched 3 Horses jump a jump and moved on to the next jump. Apart from the main lake near the house we got a fantastic view of every fence (even made it on TV a few times!) there were only 2 jumps we didn't get to see sadly. Then when the mad rush was leaving, we sat in the sun and finished our picnic. It was such a great day, but boy did my feet ache.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Badminton and all others I avoid like the plague on xc day these days, I hate crowds anywhere.

I prefer to go (like others do) on day 1 and 2, watch stressage, support classes - walk xc course and perhaps visit trade stands.
Always prefer to catch up the XC on the red button if I can.

Annagain

Visit site
I detest Badminton on the XC day and vowed never to go again, much better viewing from the TV instead of trying to get through crowds, people with knackered dogs, so busy. I am however going as groom for my friend in the Grassroots and then will watch the rest on TV :)

This - although I'm not grooming, just watching my friend in the 90.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Orchard14

Visit site
Yes and yes! It's my favourite time of year and only 20 minutes from home, apart from the FBE at Gatcombe it's my most local big event. I've managed to bag a media pass this year from work so will be able to see a bit more behind the scenes. As thrilling as the XC is I prefer the SJ day personally as a spectator.