Bagging up but not pregnant.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Hi,
hoping that some of you breeding peeps can help me. Fany is an ex-broodmare; she had 4 live foals. She has been with us for 2 years. We bought her just after she had lost a foal. Just after we got her a mare on our yard had a foal and Fany got very broody and seem to bag up, ending up with mastitis. We assumed it was because she had lost her foal.

2 years on and 2 mares have foaled on our yard and she has bagged up again. So is it a co-incidence or is she reacting to the foals? Just to add she is no longer over weight she has been checked a couple of weeks ago by the vet and he says she is fine, she is on sparse grass during day and a token handful of hay at night to ensure she stays that way.

ETA- she has no discharge and is not in, nor has she been in, season this year yet

So any ideas? Anyway to help her ?
Thanks for reading,
FDC

Last edited:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
there was a similar thread recently with some good replies

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=455118

Someone mentions that they have known mares bag up due to foals being near by :confused:

Thank you for that. I think it is just because she has had foals before and really wants another! I wish she could but situation dodgy at present due to job and health but when it all settles then she will.( Before anyone asks why, because she is exceptionally well bred, with 4 champion show horses as Dam, sire, G.Dam and G. Sire( also name best stallion ever) plus a lot of winners in Belgium herself. She is sweet tempered and has very good confo.Plus it will be for me and my daughter)

FDC