bagging up

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
so lu's foal isnt due till 22nd july (345days) however she has started producing milk already and im jus abit worried as shes got a caslick, so i was wondering how many weeks prior to foalin do mares usually start producing milk??? i know i should know this

spottysport

Visit site
Unfortunately, it's down to the individual mare how long her bagging up/preparation time is. Is she really producing milk this early, or has she just started bagging up? Your best bet would be to ask your vet when the most sensible time is to remove the caslick.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Each mare is individual. Teazle bagged up weeks ago, but i know some mares don't bag up until 2 hours before foaling.

She shouldn't foal before 320 days, although some can, but most foals are premature before 320 days.

Good Luck though!
grin.gif

Panther

Visit site
Is she bagging rather than producing milk...

Milk has come through when they wax... which is teats start dropping a little milk and it forms a clear/yellowy icicle looking bung on end of teat... the mare will usually foal that night..

mares can bag up many weeks before some on day of foaling... more likely the first and she has a time to go yet...

look for her rear end muscles slackening and vulva relaxing so it's not so 'pleated' at the sides.. this is usually upto to two days before ish....

don't forget some mares show no signs of being in labour.. and may not paw the ground, appear colicky nor appear restless.. a good sign is stopping chewing mid mouthful and showing the whites of their eyes and a very slight straining at rear and sweating flanks..

God Luck.. it'ssuch fun and very rewarding!!