Bailey's Boot Camp

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I thought I'd start a clean thread for anyone that may be interested in following this boy's progress :)
A couple of (rubbish quality) videos of the second day he was here.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

only_me

Visit site
Sharp, suspicious and wary. He will need a lot of time, and patience. And boundaries.

Or he’s a young horse in a complete new environment, field beside a road and lots to look at - completely out of his comfort zone so it’s pretty normal to be suspicious and wary of things.

Not entirely sure how you think he’s sharp from the video, he just looks like a horse in a new, busy field.

He’s unsettled. He will settle in time. Just treat him as a normal horse, don’t make him into a problem horse less than a week from his arrival.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Or he’s a young horse in a complete new environment, field beside a road and lots to look at - completely out of his comfort zone so it’s pretty normal to be suspicious and wary of things.

Not entirely sure how you think he’s sharp from the video, he just looks like a horse in a new, busy field.

He’s unsettled. He will settle in time. Just treat him as a normal horse, don’t make him into a problem horse less than a week from his arrival.

I've had a lot of horses, that's how I think he's sharp. Some will settle and chill out in minutes, some will take a day or so. Some are sharp. Doesn't make him a problem, it just makes him who he is (I like sharp horses, BTW).

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
So..Bailey has had little to nothing done with him since he arrived, just a hello and a pat in the field, nothing more.
He's still very anxious and it's clear that the mare with him is causing a lot of this as she has turned into a little shit!!! She resource guards fiercely, including people, which is not helping.
However, horse number 3, a larger cob mare, will be joining them tomorrow. I'm hoping that will help things a little as both mares will be going out on hacks, individually so Bailey will always have a friend with him.
I'd like to up the handling a little now so plan to start popping on his headcollar, leading him a short way (in the field) and giving him a pat and letting him off. Does this sound fair to him?
I'd also like to maybe tie him and give him a little brush, would that be a step too far or should I just see how he feels?
I'm trying to work out how to do things super slow but moving gently forward at the same time.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
So..Bailey has had little to nothing done with him since he arrived, just a hello and a pat in the field, nothing more.
He's still very anxious and it's clear that the mare with him is causing a lot of this as she has turned into a little shit!!! She resource guards fiercely, including people, which is not helping.
However, horse number 3, a larger cob mare, will be joining them tomorrow. I'm hoping that will help things a little as both mares will be going out on hacks, individually so Bailey will always have a friend with him.
I'd like to up the handling a little now so plan to start popping on his headcollar, leading him a short way (in the field) and giving him a pat and letting him off. Does this sound fair to him?
I'd also like to maybe tie him and give him a little brush, would that be a step too far or should I just see how he feels?
I'm trying to work out how to do things super slow but moving gently forward at the same time.

Catch, tie groom, pick up feet. That's the best way to start building the relationship with any horse. It's not about going slowly, it's about going at the pace the horse can understand and deal with. As soon as he's comfortable it's time to move forward. As soon as he's not, it's often time to take a step back.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I really wish I needed another young horse! He's quite a mover, SLH. I particularly love the chest he's got. I don't see how you're going to end up losing any money on him.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok so in the end I had to go out unexpectedly today so I just spent 20 mins fussing Bailey. Ruby was otherwise occupied with a haynet....he was like a different horse!!! He happily accepted a really good scratch on the withers, and other places, he actually really enjoyed it. He wanted to reciprocate the groom but I only moved slightly and he jerked his head away. I really think he's been smacked on the face...he seems to anticipate something bad?? Unless I'm misinterpreting his body language. He was still a bit anxious, still tried to bite BUT on the whole it was a lovely experience 😍😍😍

Amymay...Ruby rushes at him with ears back, teeth bared whenever he goes near haynets, my friend or I etc. It appears to be anything that she feels is a valuable resource...if that makes sense??

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I found simply sitting on a stool in the stable with a book and taking no notice of the horse helped my feral carthorse to accept my presence. He was only 11 months old and unhandled, so slightly different to your 3 year old OP, but you may well find the trust comes quickly if you just spend time in the stable with Bailey. No hand feeding or bribery, just teaching him to move when asked, give feet and be polite on the headcollar.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks AA. There is an absolute blanket ban on handfeeding anyhow as I hate it. He's definitely a little more relaxed with me but we've got a way to go.

Last edited:

Floxie

Visit site