Baileys no 1- how long to soak?

whizzer

Visit site
Got a sample of this from feed shop but no instructions! Anyone know how long to soak for & in how much water?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Just make sure you damp it down to feed else it could cause choke if fed dry. They used to recommend you use something like sugar beet or soaked grass nuts to feed with it. Great for weight gain like that.

whizzer

Visit site
Thanks for replies,yes it's the cooked cereal meal. Just got it into my head that it was to be soaked into a mash. I'll try it damp,horse won't eat grass nuts,sigh,might try sugarbeet if I can find some room to store it-got bin loads of feeds at the moment that he refuses to eat. Very poor doer,not tried this stuff before but managed to just buy a small amount to try to see if he'll actually eat it!

whizzer

Visit site
Thanks for replies,yes it's the cooked cereal meal. Just got it into my head that it was to be soaked into a mash. I'll try it damp,horse won't eat grass nuts,sigh,might try sugarbeet if I can find some room to store it-got bin loads of feeds at the moment that he refuses to eat. Very poor doer,not tried this stuff before but managed to just buy a small amount to try to see if he'll actually eat it!
Not sure eating at snails pace whilst frequently staring off into the distance has ever lead to choke...

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Not sure eating at snails pace whilst frequently staring off into the distance has ever lead to choke...

I think you'd find it would have the same effect as eating dry crackers! You could try dampening it with warm water and black treacle or apple juice, add in a handful of oats/barley/chaff to mix it with.