Balancer.. recommend a good one

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My geldings are currently on GWF Equilibra 500 balancer I use to get on Amazon for £26 which lasted 2 a month. Its now gone up to £30/35 a sack.

They look outstanding on it but its working out pricey now.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: tda

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'd be swapping to a mineral balancer. I tend to use the cheapest one progressive earth do unless they are on a restricted diet. What else are you feeding?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I'd be swapping to a mineral balancer. I tend to use the cheapest one progressive earth do unless they are on a restricted diet. What else are you feeding?

Alfa-A, Equilibra, Micronised linseed and a joint supplement. One is currently out of work so just on the Equilibra and the linseed my other one is in work so getting the alfa-a but not tons. Both cobs, quite good doers.

supsup

Visit site
I've just had a look at the GWF page for the product. Unless their own info is wrong, it looks as though this balancer is only delivering about half of the RDA of the trace minerals at the recommended dose (Analysis is stated "per kilo", and dose for a 500kg horse is 500g. Given the description, you'd have to feed 1kg to get the full RDA of the trace minerals -- unless the webpage is mis-labelled, and the amounts stated are actually per 500g dose). Might be worth checking the bag tag. In any case, if the analysis is as stated, I'd say you'd be better off with a more concentrated balancer that provides the full RDA per dose. If you feel your horses didn't need a full dose, you'd still be cheaper off buying a more concentrated balancer and feeding it at a partial dose.
For example, I currently use the Spillers Daily balancer, which normally works out at about 60p per 500g dose (mole valley have an offer right now, bringing it down to 48p). It contains 300mg zinc, 80mg copper and 1mg selenium per dose. The GWF balancer costs 69p per 500g dose, and according to the webpage, contains 150mg zinc, 50mg copper and 0.5mg selenium per 500g dose. Even if the website info was wrong, and the amounts were per dose (i.e. full RDA per 500g), the GWF is still not a very competitive price.

Britestar

Visit site
Gain opti care. Fabulous stuff. 19.99 for 25kg.
My horses look fabulous, and their feet have improved immensely ( didn't have bad feet, but now they are amazing).

I feed 5 on it and use 2 bags a month. From 14hh to 16.3hh.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
equimins adv complete if you want a pellet
forageplus/pro_hoof/equivita and there's one more that is currently alluding me

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I've just had a look at the GWF page for the product. Unless their own info is wrong, it looks as though this balancer is only delivering about half of the RDA of the trace minerals at the recommended dose (Analysis is stated "per kilo", and dose for a 500kg horse is 500g. Given the description, you'd have to feed 1kg to get the full RDA of the trace minerals -- unless the webpage is mis-labelled, and the amounts stated are actually per 500g dose). Might be worth checking the bag tag. In any case, if the analysis is as stated, I'd say you'd be better off with a more concentrated balancer that provides the full RDA per dose. If you feel your horses didn't need a full dose, you'd still be cheaper off buying a more concentrated balancer and feeding it at a partial dose.
For example, I currently use the Spillers Daily balancer, which normally works out at about 60p per 500g dose (mole valley have an offer right now, bringing it down to 48p). It contains 300mg zinc, 80mg copper and 1mg selenium per dose. The GWF balancer costs 69p per 500g dose, and according to the webpage, contains 150mg zinc, 50mg copper and 0.5mg selenium per 500g dose. Even if the website info was wrong, and the amounts were per dose (i.e. full RDA per 500g), the GWF is still not a very competitive price.

Thank you all comments, very help - thank you!

I do like the fact GWF has Omega 3 Fats in. Its worth a look though. Thank you for that supsup!