Bald patch on horse's face ??

ladyearl

vvv
Hello - over the last fortnight or so my horse has developed a bald spot on her face. There are a few scratches but I think that's just from trees or barbed wire where she's scratched it in passing. I don't think it's super itchy or it would be really raw. It doesn't feel hot or look infected in anyway. We've treated her for parasites and cleaned it daily. But not sure what to think of it. Opinions invited.

Photo0685.jpg

Photo0684.jpg

cands

Visit site
mmmmmmm. my first immpression would be a fungal like infection or itch, which would have caused her to rub her face on something = resulting in the hair loss. however if you have treated her for fungal infections, etc and its not itchy you can rule this out. is she grazed with others? if sheis do you think maybe one of her paddock mates might have bitten her there which pulled out alot of hair? sounds odd but ive seen it happen before - more commonly on the rump but its possible of course for her to be bitten on the face too.

apart from this i cant think of what it would be. if the hair hasnt started growing back in a couple of weeks id get the vet out as there may be a problem with her skin :)

ladyearl

vvv
Thanks yes will get vet out if it's still baldy next week - or if it suddenly looks worse. Just not really sure about it at all!

callmelucky

Visit site
could be a 'hot spot' or moist dermatitis?? can be caused by an insect bite or scratch or something like that, that shes had a wee reaction too then rubbed and its become infected. antibiotics and steroid cream usually help if its that...(but im not a vet! lol)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
We've had 4 horses with similar to yours at different times in our fields. Always on the side of the face with redness and hair loss. Treated it as a fungal infection and it cleared up quite quickly. Really don't know what caused it as it seems to be specific to their environment.