Ballinvella

Sweet_Charmer

New User
Visit site
Well, first of all, i'm new, so hi!!

Secondly, i am currently researching my horse's family (prompted by a few of the earlier posts today)... and was wondering if anyone could help.
I have a 5yr old ISH, out of a mare by Ballenvilla, who i have been told is/was quite a good stallion, but i have never heard of him
confused.gif
blush.gif

My horse's sire is Rich Rebel, who is, again, apparently quite a good stallion, but again, never heard of him! *runs away in shame*
so.... if anyone can give me any info on my horsey's background it would be much appreciated!!!

kirstyfk

Visit site
Hello and welcome! Ballinvella had sired some good horses however I have also seen some fairly average horse by him. I can't remember who he had sired but some of them have gone top level eventing.

Sweet_Charmer

New User
Visit site
ooh... this is all very interesting. Thank you!!!

hmmm one of Oliver Townsend's horses...
wink.gif

I'm guessing my boy's mum was one of the "fairly average" horses by Ballenvilla!!! LOL Oh well.

Been having a nose on allbreedpedigree, and found out that he also has King of Diamonds and War Admiral (amongst many other race horses) bloodlines - intersting combination!!!

Thank you for the replies so far
x

Sweet_Charmer

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the link - my horse is registered ISH, but tbh i don't know a lot about the breed or who is good and who isn't (if that makes sense?)!!!

Ummm... he's not too chunky, a nice balance i'd say (but then again i'm biased!) He's a bay (although his dam - who was by Ballinvella - could have been chestnut... not sure, sorry!)

ets - we are hoping to start jumping him "properly" this summer, and what you sai about having a nice disposition, well my lad is one of the most chilled horses i know - which is surprising considering the amount of TB he has in him!

glenruby

Visit site
Iv ridden quite a few horses by both ballinvella (and ballinvella Lad) and also Rich Rebel. I used to ride a lovely grey 15.2hh gelding by rich rebel called Shining Rebel (hes now eventing in the Uk and would be about 10yrs). he was sold about 4years ago I think, but I rode him regularly from the time he was bought at Goresbridge til he was sold. Really lovely temperament, easy to do, sharp enough and a real athletic TB type, though the Irish influence was obvious in him still.
Also used to ride a dark bay Rich Rebel around the same time. Went by the name of Dunkerrin Mist - another 3/4bred i think - with a touch of irish draught - dams sire was farney clover. He was a fairly hot ride and a big fella - about 16.3hh and that was before hed finished growing. had a hand in breaking him and did a lot of his early schooling. He was pretty sharp - as Iv often found rich rebels to be, but plenty of ability and would have been a decent eventer but showjumping is way more popular here.
Also used to be two excellent hunters (both big solid chestnuts which plenty of bone) by ballinvella. both were over the 16.3hh mark with white blazes and socks or stockings all round. They could turn their hand to anything. Even the heavier guy- he looked way too heavy to be a serious jumper, but competed at 1m20 and hunted twice a week all winter. the lighter guy - jasper- had a tendency to run a bit light in winter, but was a regular member of pony Club, Riding Club and mateur teams at showjumping and dressage as well as being a terrific hunter trialler

Basically, you have 2 of the best TB influnces on the Irish sport horse in your lad. Wouldnt mind a decent mare with that breeding!

TURBOBERT

Visit site
Coral Cove wasnt by Balinvella sadly - he was a pure accident - by an unbroken colt! We have a mare by Rich Rebel who evented and is currently in foal to Weston Justice. She is a lovely type with a super temperament. We also have a 5 year old by Jacksons Drift out of a Balinvella mare. Also a class act - only five but going really well