Balmoral Show Report

Wheels

Visit site
It was way back in early March when I entered for the Connemara Working Hunter at Balmoral Show

It was my first time at a show like this and also his so wasn't quite sure what to expect. We arrived and went to our temporary stable and he was very on his toes so settled him in with a haynet, gave him a brush and some cuddles and a few treats and left him to settle whilst I got my breakfast and bearings. He had a few leg stretches in hand throughout the morning and he was more settled each time, even getting comments about how calm he was, very proud of him at such a big and busy event.

Our class was late afternoon so when the time was right we tacked up and went to warm up, he came out super hot, very strong and a bit too fast! By the time we finished our warm up he was much more settled and pinging the practice fences very confidently, extremely well. Into the ring which was a large grass arena, banners all around, a bar and grandstand on one side and picnic area on another with spectators on every side. Great atmosphere but M found it a wee bit scary. Going from being full of bravado in the warm up to lacking confidence in the main ring, understandable for a pony of his age (6) and experience.

He wasn't an easy ride in the main ring, I had to ride very positively but he really tried over the jumps for me even though he was not feeling his most confident. The first fence was an inviting spread, I felt M back off but I rode forward and he jumped very high over it, a bit of an 'oh shit' moment, 2 & 3 he jumped well, 4 was a water tray parallel quite close to the edge of the ring and going towards the crowd so again he backed off but cleared it with plenty of room to spare. Fence 5 was again nice and inviting with barrels and straw bales, he jumped that particularly well. Fence 6 was a pretty horrible double, a roll top on stands with brush coming out the top with 1 stride to a parallel with logs underneath - he got way too close to the first element meaning a very awkward jump and he couldn't make the distance so we had a run out at the second part. Second time around the approach was much better, but we knocked the second element. Only 2 fences left and by the end he was really starting to settle down and jumped them very well so we finished on a good note. Shame there wasn't a second class as I think he would have been much happier the next time around.

Then into the second arena where the flatwork show and trot up in hand was taking place. I was very happy with his individual show, his trot work was lovely and his canter was good too although he was running on a little, we had a great gallop and he came back reasonably well all things considered.

So no prizes given our jumping faults - trouble at the double lol

A very long but thoroughly enjoyable day - some pics below :)

60339439_10156450342957725_1577627692109398016_n.jpg

1st part of the double (second time around)
60584766_10156450342977725_7272936458988552192_n.jpg

60306225_10156450342767725_8876075238928941056_n.jpg

first fence - I think my face says it all #ohshit lol
60666694_10156450400892725_6614125558529785856_n.jpg

relaxing in the sun before our class
60320152_10156450342937725_3275113314266382336_n.jpg

I didn't get many photos of the rest of the days proceedings but a couple I liked are below

line up of winning ridden IDs
60462324_10156450343107725_1777725210498170880_n.jpg

donkey parade!
60322007_10156450343142725_8348664662413279232_n.jpg

Wheels

Visit site
That sounds like an amazing experience. He looks a lovely type and sure to improve with every outing! Where next?!

Thank you :)

Our next competition will be a derby next weekend - have a choice of 3 different venues all running the same type of event

We will also spend some time training before our next big comp which is the qualifiers for Dublin Horse Show Performance Connemara class on 8th June

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
👏👏👏 well done 😃 sounds like a good outing even though it wasn't your day. Love the donkeys too 😍

Wheels

Visit site
well done, he looks like he has a good jump, a good experience for both of you so you will be more prepared next time...

Thank you. He was giving them some air but because he was tense his bascule wasn't as nice as normal. We will aim to go to some of the bigger agricultural shows to get him more used to the atmosphere but there aren't many around quite like this one :)

Asha

Visit site
Cracking photos Wheels . He really has a great pop on him , I bet the experience has done him a world of good. Good luck at your next one .

Sheep

Visit site
Brilliant! Hope you enjoyed the show. I was there on Friday but mostly was parked at the bar next to the WH arena. Your horse is lovely! Good luck for Dublin qualifiers.

alexomahony

Visit site
Gorgeous photos and sizeable fences! Well done, what an experience :) sounds like the only way is up and only one refusal at such a big show and buzzing ring, that's very good well done!

What saddle do you use? Those knee blocks look like they're made of my dreams!

sportsmansB

Visit site
I was wondering if you were gonna catch me in the bar in the background in your pics :rolleyes:
I thought it was a testing enough course especially given all the distractions.. And as you say almost impossible to recreate the atmosphere elsewhere.
Our yard had a few in the young event classes and we've all been dealing with banners all over the place for weeks now to try and practice!

Scarvagh derby is probably the closest thing in terms of spooky/ busy / spectators

Wheels

Visit site
Gorgeous photos and sizeable fences! Well done, what an experience :) sounds like the only way is up and only one refusal at such a big show and buzzing ring, that's very good well done!

What saddle do you use? Those knee blocks look like they're made of my dreams!

It's a Solution jump saddle

Knee blocks are on velcro and moveable so I can happily use it for flatwork too

Wheels

Visit site
I was wondering if you were gonna catch me in the bar in the background in your pics :rolleyes:
I thought it was a testing enough course especially given all the distractions.. And as you say almost impossible to recreate the atmosphere elsewhere.
Our yard had a few in the young event classes and we've all been dealing with banners all over the place for weeks now to try and practice!

Scarvagh derby is probably the closest thing in terms of spooky/ busy / spectators

Lol, were you the one that put me off?

I was planning on doing scarvagh but I've hurt my hand so not sure I'll be ready