Ban the importation of dogs with cropped ears.

skinnydipper

Visit site
"There appears to be an alarming rise in dogs imported after undergoing the inhumane procedure of having their ears mutilated, fulfilling the desire for a certain ‘look’ & encouraging a procedure outlawed in England since 1899. It’s time to close this 121-year-old legal loophole.

Cropping a dog’s ears is illegal in the UK, yet the numbers appear to be rising. An import ban could be possible under trade rules. There are companies that specifically import dogs with cropped ears for UK owners fuelling cruelty abroad. It’s time to make imports illegal, raise awareness of the cruelty around cropped dogs & advise the public not to support companies/individuals that use cropped dogs in advertising & social media, as they’re inadvertently promoting this painful practice."

Please sign the petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/peti...1ylUxonmIfiFs6gRROJyMo9sA5o5MCOvLYjM6DcRmODBI

Bellasophia

Visit site
In 2010 we banned ear cropping.and docking ..8 months in prison and 30 000 e fine for those who do...so these are not coming from Italy...at least from reputable breeders.
...awful,uneccessary practice..
both my dogs were a traditionally docked breed ,but I lovethe expression a tail gives..it has its own life....my dog is certainly glad he’s kept his wag

E9009EF3-EBE7-40B1-B3B4-B760EED5F4CB.jpeg

Last edited:

misst

Visit site
Signed. There's a young doberman walked in our area it has cropped ears and absolutely no tail. It leaps on the lead like a gazelle and the owners do not have a clue what to do with him. They are not English and sound Russian or Eastern European. The male owner is very tough with the dog. The woman has no control and smiles a lot saying"friendly friendly". He is about 8 months now and soon he will pull her over. Poor poor dog. I hate how he has no tail at all and almost no ears. God knows how it was done.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Some are not imports and have been done really badly. If they're raggedy and not fully upright you can usually tell it's a 'behind the garage' job.

The Russian dobes can be sharp as hell, I know of one been recommended PTS at under a year for aggression. Hips look shot as well, which won't help.
Another two from Romania which had to be quarantined for months as the paperwork was dodgy.

Apart from the ethics, you cannot take part in an FCI event with a dog with cropped ears born after a certain date, as far as I am aware. So if your dog ends up being good at anything, if it's cropped, you won't have access to vast majority of shows, trials, sports.

Big gamble for the sake of looking cool.

GSD Woman

Visit site
More people in the US are moving away from cropping and docking. Odd that it is popping up in the UK. A friend runs one of the top Boxers in agility and he has ears and a natural tail.
Years ago I mentioned to a boxer breeder that I wouldn't do ears. I was told that that person would never sell me boxer. No big loss.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Apart from the ethics, you cannot take part in an FCI event with a dog with cropped ears born after a certain date, as far as I am aware. So if your dog ends up being good at anything, if it's cropped, you won't have access to vast majority of shows, trials, sports.

Some agility folk have fallen foul of this as well but for tails, dogs legally docked and able to compete in the UK have been left unable to compete in European/Worlds when they're hosted in certain countries.

Slightly off tangent but I have a breed that was traditionally docked and there was a drop-off in puppy registrations in the years immediately following the docking ban, attributed to established breeders giving up because they could no longer chop bits off. ?

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
I see on some US puppy ads that buyers have the option of keeping tails and ears in case of export to Europe.

My friends stopped breeding OES after the docking ban, ostensibly because of the 'mess'. There was talk in some breeds of outcrossing for a 'natural' bobtail.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Schips can be NBT, between those and the docked imports there's enough tailless dogs around that there's judges you don't bother entering under if your dog has a tail (or if it's any colour other than black) which just goes to prove that showing is a mug's game. ?

Thinking of broader welfare issues, I can't imagine owners of illegally cropped dogs would be keen to seek veterinary care.