Bandaging for filled legs

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
As Benj is on box rest, his legs have started to fill and his sheath has filled.
I have spoken to the vet on a couple of occasions and belives its nothing more that being stood in.
I have been bandaging his legs, but could anyone let me know how you do it?

What I have been doing has moved the fluid, but I just want to make sure I am using the most effective technique.

P x

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Pride's hind legs are bandaged at night to prevent filling, he just uses normal stable bandages with a fleece pad.

Im not really sure what your question is to be honest
confused.gif
Do you wnat to know how to bandage??

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
When I worked in rehab yard we did stable bandages, but with slightly more tension than usual for more support.
Do make sure you have plenty of padding underneath...and don't do them too tightly or you can damage the legs more than if you left them alone...
frown.gif

S
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
You could also try giving him a mineral lick or a broad spectrum supplement...as electrolytes are involved in filling...but it's far more likely just lack of circulation...due to lack of movement, and he'll be fine as soon as he starts exercising again.
S
grin.gif

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Have you tried magnet boots?
I know its a bit of a controversial subject at the moment but this is the exact reason I use them on P. He wears boots in front during the night and they are a huge help. Without them his legs would be like tree-trunks
grin.gif

Maybe something to look at anyway....

kick_On

Visit site
also remember to redo at least once a day. What i did once gg is is removed from stable for mucking out, prefect time to remove bandage and let air get to leg and of course have a check. Then reapply bandages before putting gg back in stable

Guinness

Visit site
Also, when you do take them off to re-apply then give his legs a bloody good rub up and down and maybe keep them off for a whille? Are you allowed to take him for walks in hand?

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
You could also try giving him a mineral lick or a broad spectrum supplement...as electrolytes are involved in filling...but it's far more likely just lack of circulation...due to lack of movement, and he'll be fine as soon as he starts exercising again.
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
He has access to a Himalayan salt lick, but would adding salt/electrolytes to his feed help?
Fingers crossed it won't be long until he is on the move!
Thanks
P x

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
Also, when you do take them off to re-apply then give his legs a bloody good rub up and down and maybe keep them off for a whille? Are you allowed to take him for walks in hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
I always have a feel of them to see if there is any more heat anywhere.

No, he is on total confinement and has been for 3 weeks now. Back off to the vets on Thursday, so we shall see then!
crazy.gif

P x

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He has access to a Himalayan salt lick, but would adding salt/electrolytes to his feed help?
Fingers crossed it won't be long until he is on the move!
Thanks
P x

[/ QUOTE ]

It might help...as electrolytes are important in fluid balance. Your filled legs problem will sort itself as soon as he's moving more...so I wouldn't be too concerned.
S
grin.gif

pinkcatkin

Visit site
Hello Loupride, pinkweasel here! I saw that your boy gets filled legs when he is standing in. Rosie has done the same thing this week and the first time she had only been in for two hours which is really strange. Bit better today. Was also considering magnetic boots as she had loads of lameness in off fore and thought it might be good all round. What make do you have?