Bandaging for swollen legs ?

ITPersonnage

Visit site
My TB mare has had windgalls for a while now (over 4 years) and normally this is not a problem, but in winter when stabled at night her fetlocks swell. They go down after work or mooching in the field but I don't stable bandage SHOOT ME WHAT A BAD OWNER because quite honestly I've not got the inclination...

So what is the feeling out there - is it actually worth it every night or am I going to hell or worse - is she going to suffer in any way because of my negligence ?

If it is worth it are stable chaps any use for this ? I thought the idea of bandages was to give some pressure around the leg to stop the buildup of fluid but stable chaps seem to me to be fitted too loose for that. Views please.

Also might it be worth the effort if I know that the weather means no turnout for a day or so, in which case obvioulsy the swelling doesn't go down (unless I manage to work her).

Sammy_46

Visit site
My horse's legs have a tendancy to fill but theres no heat when he's in and although he comes out a little stiff he's never had a problem. He has splints on both front legs and few other bumps but nothing more. When I did bandage them he came out the next morning, no looser or stiffer than usual. His legs hadn't filled at all but there was heat! The bandaging had been done nicely and it was just all the way up his legs on all four. So yeah, just thought I'd prefer a little puffiness than heat and the hassle of bandaging! I'm sure different things work for different horses, but theresmy personal experience of it :)

Brandy

Visit site
My old horse is accident prone and gets mahooosive swellings at the slightest knock or bump - I will stable bandage for this.

He sometimes gets filled legs from standing in over night. They go down during the day when he is turned out so I don't bother with the bandages.

I have used bioflow wraps, easy to put on and no need to roll up again when you take off!

spaniel

Visit site
Pointless waste of time and making a rod for your own back by bandaging. If the filling walks or exercises off then bandaging is totally unnecessary.

Shutterbug

Visit site
Arions hinds swell up when he is on overnight - it only started when he came in again in the evenings after his first summer out 24/7. I started to bandage and YO would remove them before turnout in the morning but with the weather changing, his legs are always wet and Im not bandaging wet muddy legs.

I decided last week just to leave his legs alone - there is no heat and he can walk from the stable to the outdoor school and the swelling is gone.