banks?! yes or no

Parisexx

Visit site
Hi everyone i was wondering are banks a good measure against horses getting cast? Iv never had banks as i have always believed they would have to be massive to do anything but YO thinks even a tiny bank helps?
Thanks x

twinkle

Visit site
Always used to wonder this myself as never used to have them and horse never got cast (as far as i no anyway) then one day i thought maybe i better as pretty much everyone else does and guess what horse got cast might have been just a flucke but havent had them since.

teamsarazara

Visit site
I do banks with shavings beds because find it easier to muck them out:) but not with straw or any other bedding, dont see the point!

ArabianGold

Just around the corner, take a left follow the roa
Visit site
I have a big fluffy straw bed with massive banks.

1. Whisper rolls frequently and always kicks the walls so try to use the banks to keep her away from the walls
2. Whisper lays against them and almost snuggles into them I like to think it makes things a bit more comfortable for her
3. Keeps the stable a bit warmer

There are my reasons wrong or right I am a fan of banks

Adios

becca1305

Visit site
I dont see how small thin banks could really help tbh as surely if the horse was stuck and struggling its feet would be higher up the wall? I dont use banks, have large stables and none of mine have ever got cast. The walls are mainly old red brick and uneven so maybe that would help to provide grip but theres no scratch marks or anything to indicate that theyve got stuck and the paint (horse friendly) flakes away easy enough under impact so would see scrabble marks. As long as horse has got a deep (straw) clean bed Im happy :)

MiCsarah

Visit site
Don't see the point in them really but they make my stable look pretty and warm. Never bothered when I had shavings though unless I had put a new bag in an didn't need it all

mulledwhine

Visit site
Always used to until it was pointed out to me that you can never get them wide enough or hard enough, for your horse to even lie down, so I now don't bother, and tbh all the years I did, he had smashed them down by morning!!

Jazzy B

Visit site
I have one on the back wall - straw bed (don't ask) makes me feel better but its usually down in the morning.

shadowboy

Visit site
I have banks as they keep the bed warmer (less drafts) they are a foot deep and 2 foot high. Never had a horse get cast either

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I have always done banks whatever the bedding except for my youngster as he was so small and the stable so big for him that I couldn't imagine him getting cast. My cob is a heavyweight type and has big legs and a bit rotund so do banks for his big legs. My heavy horse cross is 17.2 hands and has arthritis in hocks so do nice banks for him to push against should he roll or need assistance in getting up. Would rather he got tangled in straw than scraped legs on the wall. My tb likes to roll in stables, must be a racehorse thing? She often rolls close to walls and fences when out in the field too, so she has banks so doesn't get cast as you hear many stories of racers getting cast. Check out the excuses for non runners on Channel 4 racing sometime.

StormyMoments

Visit site
i only have banks because taz rests his head on them like pillows and i keep clean bedding in them so i can pull it down if in in a rush and havent got time to get another bag of bedding :eek:

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I was taught the reason for banks was to A) prevent draughts and B) to have clean bedding ready for use.

Banks will not stop a horse getting cast. If their legs are that low then they can push themselves away from the walls, they get cast with their legs a lot higher than most banks.

The only thing I have found helps a horse when he does get cast is if the walls have 2" X4" strips of wood around the stable walls about 2'6", 3' and 3'6" from the ground. If he gets cast he can get a hoof under one of the bits of wood and push away from the walls.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I have banks in Rosie's stable because when she rolls she flings her head back and it stops her banging her head on the wall !

dumpling

Visit site
I do but they're proper big chunky ones. Always intact by morning and my boys never been cast.

The tiny ones are useless!

milesjess

Visit site
Yeah I do and always have.

I prefer the look of the bed with them. My horse has arthritis so I don't want him knocking his legs on the walls and they keep drafts out. He's on shavings and they are about 1 1/2 - 2 ft with a thick, deep littered bed.

LaurenBay

Visit site
No, Don't see a point.

Just a waste of bedding really. Saves time and money not having them. And Horse has never got cast. I am the only one of my yard that doesn't do them though.

forestfantasy

Visit site
I have a big fluffy straw bed with massive banks.

1. Whisper rolls frequently and always kicks the walls so try to use the banks to keep her away from the walls
2. Whisper lays against them and almost snuggles into them I like to think it makes things a bit more comfortable for her
3. Keeps the stable a bit warmer

There are my reasons wrong or right I am a fan of banks

Adios

This 100%
My mare uses them as a pillow, they keep the draughts away from her legs when standing and keep her snug when she lays down.
They are always still standing in the morning and my mare hasn't been cast since i used them (once a serial 'caster')

Ponios Bed:
01956afe.jpg

3b2b11d5.jpg

indi4

Visit site
I use to use banks but don't bother any more, as they are pretty useless unless you have massive banks, and having no banks gives my horse a little more room in her stable.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I do banks but my banks are big, the main reason I do them is because madam likes to lie down and she has slightly capped hocks so the banks protect her from the walls.

Madam also uses them as a pillow, diva!
As for them being a waste of bedding, I probably use 6 bales a month, max for a big horse! (That's a monthly bedding cost of £12)

Small banks have no use except to look pretty.

Last edited: