Barbaro update - video

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
A little bit of upbeat footage of Barbaro.

I still wonder at the wisdom of putting him through everything he's endured since shattering his leg, then getting laminitis, but can't help but feel cheered by seeing this video.

He still has an uphill struggle ahead, but after everything he's been through, I really hope he makes it.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/newsandevents/news/BarbaroClip8-14.htm

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
It's a heartwarming story in a way and as you said, after all he's been through I hope he makes it.........But I still can't help but feel it was wrong to put him through that.

GTs

Visit site
All things considered I must say he looks fabulous. I take back anything and everything I said about pushing it too far - it was only 1 month ago we all thought he was hours/days away from PTS, if he has come back that strong in that time, the staff at UPenn obviously know what they are doing.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oh I feel very sad after watching that video. The leg looks as if it has no stability and is only able to be used because of the supportive bandages. The horse looks sad in his eye.

Whatever the outcome he is destined never to be turned out, and will be shut up in a metal cage 24/7.

I realise that he is incredibly valuable - and his value as a stallion make him priceless. But I'm not sure he will ever be in a position to cover mares or have semen collected.

Sorry, but I feel very sorry for him.

JM7

Visit site
to be honest, dubs, when he walks, the cannon bone doesnt look solid...not healed..seems to have a bit of a "wobble"...hope it holds up when the plaster comes off....

_jetset_

Visit site
Although he looks happy enough being outside, I have to agree with some others on here that it just doesn't look stable. You just have to wonder what it's like under all that bandage.

I still stand by my initial reaction to all of this... is his price really worth putting him through all of this? After all, it's quite unlikely that he will ever have a 'normal' life again just being a horse. I know humans go through this, but you can explain it to them, whereas horses will just not understand why they are being put through all of this. What worries me is I wonder how much pain killers he is on and whether he has been sedated... I think he would be quite different without them and a much more truthful image would have been portrayed.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
That is the best thing to see! He looks amazing considering what he has been through and I am certain if there was any doubt about the stability of the leg then they would not be walking him around so freely much less releasing video of it on the internet! He doesn't look unhappy at all to me, in fact he looks sounder and perkier than my boy did after a spiral fractured radius and 11 weeks box rest! I am certain that the people looking after him are making the best decisions for the horse. Good Luck Barbaro!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I have to admit to never having heard of Barbaro but assume he has had a massive op.
Looking at him I disagree that his eyes are dull, and that he looks miserable, anything that eats grass with such vigor isn't doing that bad.
We have an old grey mare here who got kicked as a four year old and had three ops in attempts to fix her, having bred her we bought her back and bred from her, she walks far worse than that I'm afraid, yet has a good quality of life. (Minty on the blog)
Modern pain killing methods will have helped this horse cope, and you also need to think, they don't put humans down when they get severe injuries do they? No one would consider saying lets euthanise an adult as they are going to find it hard to cope whilst healing. I don't know enough to say more, but whatever he has endured, he looks as if he will have a reasonable quality of life if he carries on healing, and in time his wobbles are likely to stabilise into a normal way of walking for him to be used to.
I hope he continues to improve. Thanks Dubs, interesting post.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I can see what people mean about a 'wobble' but I think its an optical illusion as there's no way they'd risk walking him outside if the bones weren't firmly pinned in place. As I understand it the vets fused his fetlock joint together, so it no longer bends like a normal horse. I think its this that's given him this rather odd gait.

As for the rights and wrongs of it I think the horse looks very well considering everything. Plus, on top of that, the vets themselves will have learnt a huge amount about treating this type of devastating injury which may help many other horses in the future.

Alibear

Visit site
I think it's brilliant I really wasn't sure he'd make it when the laminitus hit but thank fully he has. He is not destined tolive in a cage his owners are wanting a reasonable quality of life for him first and foremost and don't care if that leg means he's not up to stud duties.

Also I agree with HH and am bloody thankful we don't put humans down and caes like barbaros benefit all equines in the long run as it gives vet a better idea of just what is possible with these horrific injuries.