Barbaro Update

GTs

Visit site
Looks like they are just trying to figure out where he is going - they want somewhere warm, but FL is probably out with the herpes outbreak there!!

Here are some picture:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

All things considered I think he looks good - he is shiny, put some weight on, etc.

severnmiles

Visit site
Gees..very abnormal
crazy.gif
the last pic is lovely!!

Patches

Visit site
Gosh....I haven't really followed his story other than it was a bad break and he got laminitis in his other leg during his box rest.

I thought the break was higher up his leg though. Will he be able to live a long life of retirement in a field somewhere with his leg so deformed? Surely he'll be very arthritic in such a joint.

God bless them for trying but it must be heartbreaking to see what became of him in some ways.

Must admit, despite his leg and other hoof booted and bandaged, he does look quite well. Loving the last picture especially.

GTs

Visit site
I am almost certain the joint has been fused - yes it does look different, but still remarkable all things considered.

Patches

Visit site
Oh God yeah. It actually is very remarkable, you're right.

Can he move out of walk at all....by that I mean...how will he cope being turned out and trotting or cantering about? Will he interfere with the joint behind as he moves with it turning in.

In his face, he looks happy and his coat is wonderful. I do hope he has a long and happy life as a field ornament. Bless him, such a fighter.

GTs

Visit site
Well he has not been turned out yet - though the other day he did get a little bit excited in the wind and pranced about - everything was fine there.

He will be able to tro and canter on it - though he will be slightly off on in it though!

clipertyplop

Visit site
imo it's remarkable what they have been able to achive,in repairing the break, but i cant help thinking that they haven't done him any favours, and even though he looks bright and alert, there does seem to be a sadness in his eyes, and thanks to you GTs for the pics

GTs

Visit site
I think you too would be sad if you had 100+ mares you could breed, and your parents said NO! Apart from that everyone says he seems very content.

clipertyplop

Visit site
dont understand what your trying to say there, does the horse care if it gets a jump or not??????? i dont think the owners ect would risk him serving a mare naturly...in case of more injury......so are you saying that this horse has been saved just for its sperm or for the good of the horse ?????

GTs

Visit site
It was a bit of a joke!!! The other month it was announced he was not going to breed in 2007 and if he will ever be bred is still to be announced - if he can he will, if he can't he will be a pasture pet.

S_N

Visit site
That does look fused - though I'm only going on fused front ankles that I have seen!

His general health is a real credit to the team there!

This may sound harsh to some, but such a lot will have been learnt from saving this horse, it can only go towards helping the many down the line.

GTs

Visit site
Sportsnight raises a very good point - think about Ruffian a 20 years ago, did not stand a chance. Imagine that in another 20 years it will be routine.

That leg makes me feel sick when he walks. He doesn't seem bothered by it at all though and seems fairly happy. It will be very cool if he can be used for breeding in the future.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sportsnight raises a very good point - think about Ruffian a 20 years ago, did not stand a chance. Imagine that in another 20 years it will be routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ruffian had a particularly bad reaction to the anaesthetic and reinjured herself on coming round though
crazy.gif

He does look a hell of alot better than he did,and I understand what Ibs is saying about saving him for the greater good,but something about this just doesn't sit right with me.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ruffian had a particularly bad reaction to the anaesthetic and reinjured herself on coming round though
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But if they had pool recoveries the chances of her re-injuring herself would be considerably less.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But if they had pool recoveries the chances of her re-injuring herself would be considerably less.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true
smile.gif

I think temperament has alot to do with it too.Ruffian was notoriously hot to handle,a real live wire,whereas Barbaro does atleast look like he has a brain in his head!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
IMO i think that yeah he does look happy and healthy and as long as his leg doesnt cause him any pain then well done to the people who have done this to him not many people would especially with a 20million dollar payout anyway!!Good luck Barbaro

Patches

Visit site
Thanks for the video GTs.

Brought a tear to my eye seeing the accident as I hadn't seen that footage before, his leg was literally hanging and yet he stayed on his feet. I can tell quite clearly on the video that the fetlock is fused and given the amount of flexion in this area during the stride usually, he does seem to walk really well.

I was thinking it must be heartbreaking to see what such a grand horse has become...but actually, given the fight to save him, I guess it's heart warming to see him walking around, albeit abnormally.

I'm not a fan of racing so hadn't heard of him before this case came to light (sorry for my ignorance) but will people wish to breed from him now more because of the fame from his fight for recovery or because of his success on the track before hand?

Is there nothing in the back of anyone's mind that would question if there is a genetic weakness in his conformation that predisposed him to break down so catastrophically? A weakness that could may be passed on to progeny?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I guess I am the only one that doesn't see this as a "heartwarming" story then
crazy.gif

To say his he will always walk with a "hitch" has to be the biggest understatement of the year! Whether there is pain there is difficult to tell as he is lame on the other hind leg as well, but to reduce such a beautiful and graceful animal to this is just revolting. The twist on that leg is extreme and the thought of all the pressure being put on the structures of the legs is worrying, I personally can't see him being a successful breeding stallion for racehorses as a natural covering would be very risky. I also agree with Patches, I wouldn't breed from him anyway as such a significant musculoskeletal failure could well be inheritable. I would also be very reluctant to turn him out with such a severe gait abnormality and twisted leg for fear of further injury. Maybe I am a cold hearted pessimist but I don't think this was the best thing for the horse, IMO he should have been pts. I actually feel quite sick having seen this.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I am the only one that doesn't see this as a "heartwarming" story then
crazy.gif

To say his he will always walk with a "hitch" has to be the biggest understatement of the year! Whether there is pain there is difficult to tell as he is lame on the other hind leg as well, but to reduce such a beautiful and graceful animal to this is just revolting. The twist on that leg is extreme and the thought of all the pressure being put on the structures of the legs is worrying, I personally can't see him being a successful breeding stallion for racehorses as a natural covering would be very risky. I also agree with Patches, I wouldn't breed from him anyway as such a significant musculoskeletal failure could well be inheritable. I would also be very reluctant to turn him out with such a severe gait abnormality and twisted leg for fear of further injury. Maybe I am a cold hearted pessimist but I don't think this was the best thing for the horse, IMO he should have been pts. I actually feel quite sick having seen this.

[/ QUOTE ]agree

seabiscuit

Visit site
I absolutely agree with the above (Lucy Spring). I feel quite sickened by this, that leg looks horrific and his movement is ever so abnormal.How can he be comfortable with that wooden stick of a leg he now has. It must also have a knock on effect on his whole body making his back and hips painfull in order to compensate for the movement abnormality.
How can he ever be a happy horse with a leg like that. Horses want to run and be free, I doubt this horse will ever actually WANT to do much walking about...

I was all for saving Barbaro as I guess that I thought that he would have a normal looking leg and just a little limp...had no idea that this would be the end result.... but this......looks disgusting.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Patches

Visit site
I was trying not to be horrid but I have to admit that inside, I wouldn't want to see my once graceful horse reduced to such a disabled invalid. It'd break my heart each and every day to see what he'd become. It truly would.

I'm not sure if they intended this to be the outcome when they first started the fight to repair his leg. Maybe they got swept along with the desire to save him, whatever the cost financially and to the horse's quality of life.

Like you, I can't see how he would be able to take the weight fully behind for natural covering and I'm not sure I'd want to put my mare to him given the break down he suffered. I always assumed it was rare for them to break down behind like this and more common in fore limbs on the track. Again, I don't follow racing so I'm not statistically up on these types of injuries at all.

He has to be in pain to some degree doesn't he, or at least discomfort. I just don't see that he can be retired normally in a field, I just don't see it at all.

Sorry GTs, I was trying to be a pony patter and not offend as I know his story has captured the hearts of you all stateside. I just feel sorry for Barbaro that this is how he'll be remembered....an invalid, not an amazing racer.