Barbaro

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Barbaro Update - October 10, 2006
Veterinarians changed Barbaro's cast on Oct. 9 and were happy with the colt's progress. "We placed Barbaro under general anesthesia to remove the old cast on his right hind limb and took new radiographs to assess the continued healing of the original injuries," said Dr. Dean Richardson. "I was pleased with the continued progression of healing and the overall condition of this leg." Barbaro, who was injured in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) two weeks after his impressive performance in winning the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), recovered from sedation in a pool and was resting comfortably in his stall after the procedure. In addition to replacing the cast, doctors trimmed his hooves and applied a new shoe on the right hind foot. A few hours after recovery, he was taken back outside to graze and was comfortable on both hind legs. "There are no signs of infection and the primary incisions have healed surprisingly well," said Richardson, chief of surgery at the New Bolton Center. "Because he has had a cast on for so long, there are a few cast sores, but nothing serious." Barbaro's left hind foot, which had laminitis, continues to gradually improve. "There is good growth along the quarters [closer to the heel] but there will need to be much more healing along the front of the hoof," said Richardson, who cautioned that "we still have many months of healing ahead of us."

This is the current standing with him.

Malibu

Visit site
Best tribute video! my fingers have always been crossed for him. I wish him all the best, an amazing horse and i am so glad the easy route was not taken and this amazing horse was given a chance!

GTs

Visit site
That news is old - not that much new has changed. After the bout of laminitis, I thought the wrigin was on the wall, but he certainly a strong horse. I was actually going to try and go down to New Bolton this weekend as my friend had a paitent in there, her patient died though.

truffles

Visit site
Really lovely video - I really hope he is okay. Amazing horse, real fighter. The music really pulls it all together, although made it very sad.

Skhosu

Visit site
I do wonder though whether he will ever be better( after reading through it all).
How long beforehe breaks down? How many GA's has he had?
Yes, great try and save him, but do you think the horses best interests are being catered for?

GTs

Visit site
Every horse who has breaks a leg has multiple GAs, it is not so much the GA that is the big deal, but rather the recovery which UPenn is exceptional at!

I think they are letting him decide, if he seems alert, eating, etc they are going to keep going - young horses are certainly make more effort to get better than their older counterparts.

Bones are the one thing that will repair strong than new, so although there is a risk he will hurt himself again, he has a good chance of getting some good years under his belt.

When he got laminitis I thought they were pushing it and the writing was on the wall - I am pleased I was wrong. I really think he is being given every chance possible, and he is meeting the staff half way doing his part too.