Bare foot or not??

hunting mad

Visit site
I have a 15 hh cob,5 year old.
I have only had him for a short period,to bring on a sell.My son has done a couple of light days hunting on him(not mega hedge hopping stuff!)
The kind of horse he is,he isnt going to be a world beater,but someones best friend.....local level stuff,and would cope with hunting,if not big jumping country.
My questions is?..........he has never been shod,and seems to have very good feetI think hw would probably need shoes on to be a full time hunter(my personal thoughts,maybe not everyones)
Do i keep him bare foot to sell him,and let new owner decide,or do i put shoes on him to sell???
If we were going to keep him i would put shoes on,but we do alot of hunting,but he is here to sell.
He has no objections to feet being handled,sp putting shoes on shouldnt be a problem

Dizzle

Visit site
The hunting season has finished so pretty irrelevant until Cubbing starts. Start the season without shoes and if he doesn't cope then put them on?

If someone comes to try him and they want to see him shod then they can fork out for it to be done!

hunting mad

Visit site
The hunting season has finished so pretty irrelevant until Cubbing starts. Start the season without shoes and if he doesn't cope then put them on?

If someone comes to try him and they want to see him shod then they can fork out for it to be done!

I should of added that im going to advertise him in the next few weeks,so fingers crossed he wont be around by next season!

Damnation

Visit site
Leave him barefoot.
I know a horse who went from shod to barefoot. Feet like absolute rocks. He didn't hunt but he did do alot of road work, hacking around the plantation which is stoney. Never had so much as a crack or bruised sole. He was hacking nearly every day in the summer.
So leave him without. He may well cope next season with a new owner - barefoot.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Why would you shoe a perfectly good hoof? If he's doing all that and coping then he's as nature intended - you lucky chaps!!

hunting mad

Visit site
Why would you shoe a perfectly good hoof? If he's doing all that and coping then he's as nature intended - you lucky chaps!!

This was my initial thoughts,but just seeing what everyone else thinks.....
Just off subject TH,was it you thinking about trying PAX???I have some here you can have.....if intersted PM me

touchstone

Visit site
I'd leave him unshod too, a prospective purchaser should be pleased that he sound and happy working without shoes, it could save them lots of money for shoeing in the future. As long as he is happy to have his feet handled and trimmed I can't see that there'd be any issues.

Tickles

Visit site
Might be worth mentioning in the add that horse is good with farrier for trim/seeing others shod (assuming he is!). I like horses with as little shoeing as possible for their feet/work but new owners might want to know they'll have the option to shoe later without too much hassle if desired.

cptrayes

Visit site
I have a 15 hh cob,5 year old.
I have only had him for a short period,to bring on a sell.My son has done a couple of light days hunting on him(not mega hedge hopping stuff!)
The kind of horse he is,he isnt going to be a world beater,but someones best friend.....local level stuff,and would cope with hunting,if not big jumping country.
My questions is?..........he has never been shod,and seems to have very good feetI think hw would probably need shoes on to be a full time hunter(my personal thoughts,maybe not everyones)
Do i keep him bare foot to sell him,and let new owner decide,or do i put shoes on him to sell???
If we were going to keep him i would put shoes on,but we do alot of hunting,but he is here to sell.
He has no objections to feet being handled,sp putting shoes on shouldnt be a problem

You mean he needs shoes on like this full time hunter? Not :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IaGqwoQlnmA/TOvlktjYQHI/AAAAAAAAAqg/NHHYx77wYNo/s1600/Coming+Down+WR.jpg

Whyon earth are you going to waste your money? I've sold six without shoes on, three of them passing a 5* vetting and the other three not vetted.