bareback pads with strirrups, dangerous??

beaconhorse

Visit site
I do mean ones that are made to fit stirrups too.

I was reading an article that said it is dangerous as pads do NOT stay central if weight is put too much on one side because there is no tree. (ie when horse spooks etc) So rider is very likely to fall with foot stuck in stirrup

Just wondered what everyones view is as I am thinking of getting a bareback pad (when funds allow) and I know it would be easier to have one with stirrups.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I think I'd agree with the article to be honest.

Using the pad will make it comfier for your horse (possibly you too if he's a "boney" type!) and I wouldn't really see the point in wanting to ride bareback but keep stirrups involved?

Surely you'd be better off keeping the saddle on if you want to keep the stirrups also? I may be missing a point somewhere.

If you're looking to improve your balance and position by riding bareback, then do it without stirrups and, as the article says, keeping the technically correct posture.

beaconhorse

Visit site
I do ride proper bareback BUT my horse has a boney spine, despite being up to weight.

As for the stirrup idea I suffer from a bad hip and thought it would help being a transition and then go to no stirrups iether, also I mostly want to ride bareback to improve my 'feel' more importantly than balance

pixie

Visit site
Ahh, i see. I used to ride a very bony spined horse bareback (she was 30 years old, and quite, ahem, sunken!), however I have a bad hip now so can understand how that would make it even less comfortable.

TGM

Visit site
The text in red IS the link
grin.gif

beaconhorse

Visit site
lol yes silly me, sorry. no I need something to protect me from his spine too, maybe i could put a polly pad under it and sit on that?

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I think your knee would go over the roler like a girth with no saddle... If ya get me... but a poly pad and an elastic surcingle would be a much better idea if your not looking for stirrups!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Last year spent a while riding Mr C bareback due to lack of saddle. Now he is mega comfortable bareback but sweats horrible and I used to come back with wet knickers
blush.gif

I found using a polypad with an elastic roller did the trick plus if you have a skinny rather than sweaty beast it would protect your botty. Remember to put the roller through girth straps or you end up with it behind you rather than under you.