Barefoot and saddle fit

Chippers1

Visit site
Buzz has had his shoes off for only a short time (4 weeks to be precise!) and seems to be coping fine so far, he is still a bit uncomfortable over ground with big stones but will walk over small stones happily. I haven't ridden him much due to the rock hard ground and the stony paths but in an incredible turn of good fortune by old pony's cavallos fit him perfectly - even better than they fit Misty! - so I have started to ride more now that he can wear them, as much as he hated them being on at first :)

This is beneficial not only for his feet but also because he has put on so much weight with the lack of work that he resembles a hippo. I try so hard not to let him et fat so i'm disappointed in myself for not keeping on top of it but it's been a strange time so I should cut myself some slack really.

Anyway...the point of this thread is mainly to ask, in my other thread about this it was mentioned to get his saddle checked as he may start moving differently and muscling up differently without the shoes (I have noticed he's wearing the insides of his feet down more than the outsides..) when would the best time be to do this? I'm actually planning on getting him a new saddle this year anyway, I don't like the one that came with him and I've finally got some money saved to get a new one. His saddle fits fine at he moment I just find it really uncomfortable!

Obviously the size he is at the moment isn't normal so I will get some weight off him first but how long should I expect to leave it until he moves as he should and I can start the new saddle process (exciting for me :D)

I'm new to all this and you're all much more informed than me so thank you in advance!

p.s. he's still eating the equimins...just...it's like he's knows it's good for him but is reluctant, a bit like me with sprouts really

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would ask your own fitter, it's so much better if you go on these journeys with them, rather than add them as an after thought. he or she should be able to guide you. It may be possible to shim your own saddle for a while, but if a horse gets wider sooner or later the tree becomes too narrow, a new saddle will be necessary but a bareback pad or similar, or a cheapie second hand saddle (it still needs to fit just as well!) of perhaps a different discipline, may be a good stop gap.