Barefoot- best time of year to transition

holeymoley

Visit site
I'm finally biting the bullet- when is the best time of the year to transition from shod to barefoot? I'm thinking September/early October time when the ground is still fairly firm but with some give in it - We're in the West of Scotland so we're pretty much always wet!

Basically mine has been shod usually just in front most of his life and he's coped well without anything behind. I have Cavallo Trek boots for rougher ground behind. I decided to get shoes on behind for extra support this Summer as we have a few 12km rides coming up over different terrain, but I feel my farrier leaves his heels quite high. He is a recovered rotational laminitic so the fact that he was re aligned and trimmed back to 0c is fantastic (he spent around 9 months in heartbars for that) but I now feel after being in normal shoes for the last 2 years, I'd love to just give them a 'break' from shoeing. I also feel lately that once he's been shod, 3 weeks after the clenches are up and he almost looks too long and sounds a bit loose, so I'd really like to see how his feet do 'naturally'. I suppose the difference I've seen behind with shoes is also encouraging me to take them off. I like to see the frog touch the ground and do what it's supposed to do!

Tarragon

Visit site
I reckon, if you are prepared to use boots, then you can transition at any time, as the boots perform the same function as the shoes. You can always use pads in the boots to encourage the frogs to develop safely.
If you want to work towards full barefoot, perhaps wait until you have your summer of riding out the way as you may have to reduce where you can ride and how fast you ride to allow the horse time to adjust. It can be frustrating having to plan your rides around what your horse is comfortable with.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
My Welsh D has been barefoot behind for a few years & done great, had fronts on constantly for the best part of 10 years.
He's pretty much out of work all summer due to a pollen allergy so I had his fronts pulled 6 weeks ago - he's on a 'foot friendly' low sugar diet & also on a minimal grass track to help with movement.
My farrier said he'd be a little footy to start & to expect pulses to an extent as his frogs get used to being in contact the floor - he knows I'm a paranoid mother on laminitis watch so knew I'd worry!
He only ever showed slight footiness over the rubble just as you come onto the yard & was otherwise fine on grass & tarmac, also had slightly stronger pulses the first day or so but nothing hugely different & they quickly went!
He was then booted for a week or so in Equine fusions with pads on days when the ground was harder - he started walking out noticeably better & more comfortably & he also had a 10 day course of L94. On the third day he came cantering over happily without his boots - so that spoke volumes!
He's due his first trim Monday & hopefully most of the nail holes can be trimmed away as they're on the verge of cracking back - I'm so excited to see what they look like as I can already see how much his frog has started to expand.
So I'll pop him back in the boots after his trim for a few days & then take them off if all ok to start walking him in hand up the road to get him used to it.
Its taking a lot of patience but think we've got over the worst now.
I'd say get some boots & go for it!
My only thing in hindsight was not getting the boots ready for the day the shoes came off - he had them a few days later.

black and brown

Visit site
I started by taking the hinds off first and the fronts came off about six months later midwinter. Some horses cope really well without back shoes from the very start and may not need boots. However, the front feet may need protection. Patience is the key and remember that as the blood starts circulating as it should and the frogs come into contact with the ground it is a completely new sensation!

Melandmary

Visit site
My horse has always been barefoot behind and shod at front. After a bout of laminitis in April with heart bars fitted and currently not being ridden I have just had hers taken off. She is coping fine on her field and on the tarmac when she comes in. I plan to start work with her in a couple of weeks when sand school is finished so willbe taking it slow and I will get hoof boots for road work. She has good feet though but is pigeon toed so only had them on to stop uneven wear. I feel she is moving more freely without them on so very happy with my decision to remove them ?

holeymoley

Visit site
Apologies for late reply, we’ve been camping this weekend so no reliable signal. Thank you for your experiences.
My Welsh D has been barefoot behind for a few years & done great, had fronts on constantly for the best part of 10 years.
He's pretty much out of work all summer due to a pollen allergy so I had his fronts pulled 6 weeks ago - he's on a 'foot friendly' low sugar diet & also on a minimal grass track to help with movement.
My farrier said he'd be a little footy to start & to expect pulses to an extent as his frogs get used to being in contact the floor - he knows I'm a paranoid mother on laminitis watch so knew I'd worry!
He only ever showed slight footiness over the rubble just as you come onto the yard & was otherwise fine on grass & tarmac, also had slightly stronger pulses the first day or so but nothing hugely different & they quickly went!
He was then booted for a week or so in Equine fusions with pads on days when the ground was harder - he started walking out noticeably better & more comfortably & he also had a 10 day course of L94. On the third day he came cantering over happily without his boots - so that spoke volumes!
He's due his first trim Monday & hopefully most of the nail holes can be trimmed away as they're on the verge of cracking back - I'm so excited to see what they look like as I can already see how much his frog has started to expand.
So I'll pop him back in the boots after his trim for a few days & then take them off if all ok to start walking him in hand up the road to get him used to it.
Its taking a lot of patience but think we've got over the worst now.
I'd say get some boots & go for it!
My only thing in hindsight was not getting the boots ready for the day the shoes came off - he had them a few days later.

That’s really interesting thank you, I’ll remember to not be too alarmed (!) if I feel pulses. I have no doubt he will be fine with the backs off, it’s the front that I’m more worried about. He rotated medially too, as far as i know the rotation was corrected but I’m not sure whether he’s maybe been thrown off balance a bit with current shoeing, so aiming to get more xrays to see what’s inside. I have used P45, do you think L94 would be better?

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Apologies for late reply, we’ve been camping this weekend so no reliable signal. Thank you for your experiences.

That’s really interesting thank you, I’ll remember to not be too alarmed (!) if I feel pulses. I have no doubt he will be fine with the backs off, it’s the front that I’m more worried about. He rotated medially too, as far as i know the rotation was corrected but I’m not sure whether he’s maybe been thrown off balance a bit with current shoeing, so aiming to get more xrays to see what’s inside. I have used P45, do you think L94 would be better?

I emailed them & Simon got back to me recommending the L94 based on what I'd told him about my boy, it made such a huge difference I was amazed. He really pepper up in himself now too - got his sparkle back! I'm doing another course now soon & then onto Rexflo.

I'd pop them an email & explain your situation, they were brilliant advising me.

paddy555

Visit site
I would suggest that the time not to transition is around beg Dec- end Feb. (based on your area) If the ground freezes you may well be stuck. Newly deshod horses don't cope well with frozen rutted ground. Boots are not over brilliant on that surface either. Sand schools also freeze rutted. Of course if you have other facilities, indoor schools etc which you can turn them out on no problem.