Barefoot help needed - very long!

treacle_beastie

Visit site
OK so I went for it and had my horses front shoes removed yesterday, she has had her backs removed for over a year now and they are looking great so we decided to try her without the fronts.

Just a bit of history - she was barefoot when I bought her 2 and half years ago and she was fine but I didnt really know much about barefoot horses then and had shoes put on her.

Shes out in the day and in at night and has to walk on concrete yard then tarmac to get to the field though there are a few stony patches to negotiate but can avoid the worst on the verge.

Shes fed on a scoop of happy hoof and half scoop kwikbeet plus magnesium calmer, benevit advance and garlic. She has good quality hay at night.

I ride her 5/6 times a week which involves 2/3 1.5hr hacks mainly on country lanes and schooling 2/3 times a week in a sand school.

So - I got to her this morning to go for a hack and then changed my mind when I saw her in her stable ( I was being very optimistic anyway!) she looked a little bit uncomfortable, had heat in her hooves and her legs were slightly filled. I decided to take he into the school instead and she was much happier on the sand surface. I took her for a walk down the track and she was a bit hobbly and understandable was sore over the odd stone she walked on.

My question is, what should I be doing exercise wise during the transitioning period - should I just stick to the school for ridden work until she is comfortable walking down the track to the field inhand?

Should I get some hoof boots to hack her in for the time being?

In peoples experiences, how long did it take for your horse to become comfortable hacking out, avoiding stony ground?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't ride her at all for at least a few days. I am not an expert, just another horse owner, but I would wait until she is 100% happy out in the field and being led in from the field on the concrete. Not only have her feet got to adapt, but also the tendons in her legs.

If I had a nice school with a good surface I would lunge on that as the first exercise without shoes. You could also get some boots to ride her in out on the roads to start with, but again, wait for a bit.

Hind feet adapt much quicker than front feet as they are naturally deeper, doing more work by pushing the horse forwards and don't has as much weight as on the front feet.

pines of rome

Visit site
My horse is barefoot as he has navicular, so was not a straight forward case of just taking the shoes off, he is fine in the field and on tarmac but nut good on stones or uneven concrete.
I do use boots to ride out in, i also used NAF hoof hardener to start with and i feed seaweed, his feet have toughened up nicely.
Sometimes he looks a little sore, because he will hoon round his field like a lunitic and i think he bruises his feet a bit so i give him global herbs alfa bute.
I would think your horse will transition guicker unless he has any lamenss issues, i would get him some boots. Good luck

canteron

Visit site
Just a thought, I would really get clued up on the feeding as I have a funny feeling too much magnesium can inhibit the absorbtion of something(copper, calcium, some mineral) which feet need. Also, the very cold weather may have stressed your grass and made it more sugar rich.

Anyway, it might be worth ringing a few feed merchants as diet does make such a difference .... I got some really good advice from Simple Systems on feeding barefoot - but sure the other companies would give quality advice as well.

You sound pretty tuned in to your horse, so as to how long, I would say just gradually introduce more road/stones, etc and listen to your horse to see how quickly you take it.

(I have 2 barefoot, one was instantaneous, the other having to take the transition much more slowly).

Oberon

Visit site
It's very difficult to say without seeing the horse or the trim.

Only do as much as the horse is comfortable with. If she is uncomfortable enough to not want to move, then she'll need boots. She needs to move to condition the feet, but can't if it hurts.

When she can, walking inhand on the road is very helpful.

But only if she is comfortable with it.

irishcob

Visit site
I walked my horses in hand for a couple of weeks to transition them. First on tarmac, then introducing some more sandy then more gravelly bits and finally up and down a flinty track. The horse will soon let you know what it is comfortable with, and certainly should never be asked to do anything that hurts! You know your horse best, and perhaps boots would help if you want to keep working her.

Regarding the feed, I'd be wary of feeding Hoofkind, as it is infact quite high in sugar! Better off feeding a non-mollassed chaff, as you are already adding the vits and mins with your Benefit Advance (and you'll save money too!).

Best of luck.

scarymare

Visit site
I had mine removed a couple of weeks ago as farrier off and i can't get anyone to shoe. I've never been barefoot in 30+ years. Fine on stones/school with big woodchips straight away but my friends horse really hobbly in my school despite barefoot for months - must depend on horse. TBH if it wasn't for him having a twisted back foot I would be seriously considering this as an option and may do for the rest of the winter. Good luck

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I walked my horses in hand for a couple of weeks to transition them. First on tarmac, then introducing some more sandy then more gravelly bits and finally up and down a flinty track. The horse will soon let you know what it is comfortable with, and certainly should never be asked to do anything that hurts! You know your horse best, and perhaps boots would help if you want to keep working her.

Regarding the feed, I'd be wary of feeding Hoofkind, as it is infact quite high in sugar! Better off feeding a non-mollassed chaff, as you are already adding the vits and mins with your Benefit Advance (and you'll save money too!).

Best of luck.

Thanks - I feed happyhoof not hoofkind! Its a low in sugar high fibre chaff.

treacle_beastie

Visit site
Thank you for all your responses, I will prob give her a few days off now until shes is happy to walk up and down the track from the field.

I will measure her for boots tonight though as I am keen to keep working her as much as possible.

What boots do people recommend?

siennamum

Visit site
I don't think my youngster ever 'transitioned'. He has just had his 1st set of shoes on and is transformed. Previously he hobbled on anything but grass and moved very cautiously. Now he flies around on any surface and is much more forward.

He will go barefoot if he isn't in work in the future, but I think lots of horses will never be properly comfortable with their workload without shoes.

Oberon

Visit site
I found a big difference in the quality of my barefooters hoof when I stopped feeding Happyhoof. My horses have no issues with sugar, but they still grew a better hoof without the Happyhoof.

Laminitis Trust approved it may be, but it's still coated in molasses!

Alfalfa pellets or speedibeet are a better option to mix with supplement.

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I found a big difference in the quality of my barefooters hoof when I stopped feeding Happyhoof. My horses have no issues with sugar, but they still grew a better hoof without the Happyhoof.

Laminitis Trust approved it may be, but it's still coated in molasses!

Alfalfa pellets or speedibeet are a better option to mix with supplement.

is it? I actually never knew that and was feeding it thinking it was molasses free. Huh. Any suggestions for a high fibre/low sugar chaff cos I only feed the kwikbeet in the winter and tbh she could prob do without it. Infact she doesnt really need any food, just need something to mix the vits and calmer in with - other suggestions welcome!

beckydoughty

Visit site
HI-FI Lite and pony nuts?

Used to feed that to mine as for ages it was all she would eat!

I wouldnt class my self a a feeding expert but I just like to keep things simple!

I also had 1 that I took back shoes off n a year later fronts. He was a bit 'footy' at first but I just always lead him on the softer/flatter serfices. like grass, smooth concrete and rode him in the school. At first he would always put himself on grass verges around yard anyway and after a while he would walk where ever with out caring. I just did my best to listen to what he was telling me.

Good luck!! x

treacle_beastie

Visit site
HI-FI Lite and pony nuts?

Used to feed that to mine as for ages it was all she would eat!

I wouldnt class my self a a feeding expert but I just like to keep things simple!

I also had 1 that I took back shoes off n a year later fronts. He was a bit 'footy' at first but I just always lead him on the softer/flatter serfices. like grass, smooth concrete and rode him in the school. At first he would always put himself on grass verges around yard anyway and after a while he would walk where ever with out caring. I just did my best to listen to what he was telling me.

Good luck!! x

now that sounds very familiar to what she was like with her backs off!

AndySpooner

Visit site
You should consider, that a shod hoof has restricted circulation, which lessens the feeling in the feet. This may have the effect of masking some degree of lameness, eg LGL.

If the horse is lame barefoot but appears sound shod, it is in effect still lame.

Oberon

Visit site
is it? I actually never knew that and was feeding it thinking it was molasses free. Huh. Any suggestions for a high fibre/low sugar chaff cos I only feed the kwikbeet in the winter and tbh she could prob do without it. Infact she doesnt really need any food, just need something to mix the vits and calmer in with - other suggestions welcome!

What's wrong with just mixing with the Kwikbeet?

If she wants something tasty with it then buy some dried mint or fenugreek - both dirt cheap and very tasty for horses.

http://www.cotsherb.co.uk/culinary-herbs-and-spices/culinary-herbs/mint/prod_573.html

http://www.cotsherb.co.uk/culinary-herbs-and-spices/whole-seeds/fenugreek-seed/prod_692.html

intouch

Visit site
Although many horses take to barefoot immediately, if they have been in shoes for a while, some find it odd - I've seen them shake for a few hours - even a couple of days, it looks like they're not coping but in fact they get over it quite quickly. Barefoot horses have warm feet - that takes some getting used to - but shouldn't have puffiness!

Assuming you have had an experienced trimmer, take their advice on transitioning and diet -usually walking in hand on different surfaces till the horse is comfortable, using hoof boots (I use easyboot gloves) and sugar free diet - hay, not haylege - no grain except soaked and drained whole oats (has the same effect as sprouting seeds for humans, you're feeding live food not rocket fuel.)

I also use Simple System feeds, just Purabeet (goes much further than the other molasses free beets but takes a couple of hours to soak) and Lucienuts. You might want to include their supplement which is seaweed/linseed/brewers yeast. Mag ox is good, too.

treacle_beastie

Visit site

treacle_beastie

Visit site
Although many horses take to barefoot immediately, if they have been in shoes for a while, some find it odd - I've seen them shake for a few hours - even a couple of days, it looks like they're not coping but in fact they get over it quite quickly. Barefoot horses have warm feet - that takes some getting used to - but shouldn't have puffiness!

Assuming you have had an experienced trimmer, take their advice on transitioning and diet -usually walking in hand on different surfaces till the horse is comfortable, using hoof boots (I use easyboot gloves) and sugar free diet - hay, not haylege - no grain except soaked and drained whole oats (has the same effect as sprouting seeds for humans, you're feeding live food not rocket fuel.)

I also use Simple System feeds, just Purabeet (goes much further than the other molasses free beets but takes a couple of hours to soak) and Lucienuts. You might want to include their supplement which is seaweed/linseed/brewers yeast. Mag ox is good, too.

thanks for your reply - I will look into the supplements. I am a liitle worried by her slightly puffy legs - I will keep a very close eye on them over the next couple of days.

Oberon

Visit site
I still use haylage as I have no option at my yard. I've never had a problem with it.

You can buy linseed and brewer's yeast much cheaper than from Simple System.

I don't bother with seaweed - my forage is high in iodine.

OneInAMillion

Visit site
You can't ride them to start off with and at the moment hoof boots won't help as any pressure on their feet is sore however once she becomes sounds I would thoroughly recommend either Old Macs or Cavallos. It protects their feet from chipping until they strengthen fully.

ETA use Keratex Hoof Hardener! :D

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
Hi, just take a relaxed approach about it is my advice, as others have said hooves will soon toughen up and the sand school is great for them. Magnesium Oxide is great I get mine off ebay for a pittance, I slapped hoof hardener on constantly. A bit of chaff to mix the mag in with and off you go, no mystique or big deal. One of my boys was gopping lame when his fronts were removed and it took weeks of hardener and hobbling over stones. He is now sound as a pound! With the other boy i would never have known his had been removed and he doesnt bat an eyelid at stones etc.

brucea

Visit site
feed%20movement%20trim.png

It can take time for a horse to transition to being comfortable - it may just be that they have new sensations in their feet, perhaps pins and needles even, or it may be that simply taking the shoes off has exposed an underlying problem that was being masked by the shoes - as Andy pointed out.

A good trimmer will be able to help you along.

I like the picture above - it puts things in order of priority and relative importance for barefoot success. Of course a bad trim can undo all your good work in the other two layers, and I'd say if her hooves are not long at the wall, toe or heel them leave them well alone for a while to help them to recover. Above all - never let the farrier scoop the sole or trim the frog - that won't help at the moment.

I feed my lads this: unmolassed beet, linseed meal, magnesium oxide, a mineral supplement (with copper, zinc, selenium etc.) and Brewer's yeast. That's the base feed.

Into that I add any herbs or specifics each horse gets. For example the big lad who sheds off weight this time of the year gets sprouted oats.

Above all - chase out molasses, and don't use balancers or other bagged feeds unless you know exactly what is in them and are happy to feed that kind of thing.

I'll sens you a link to my site so you can look at my lads - all barefoot and one of them was an awful bad laminitic. The big ginger one had the tough transition - but his feet are very functional now.