Barefoot/hoof boot newbie!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Hi!! :)

I'm thinking about trying to go without shoes on my welsh cob again - tried years ago & even with a nice amount of hoof grown, he was a fairy & would pull onto grass verges etc & became a bit of a nightmare, at the time I couldn't persist with it due to needing him in proper work & he was becoming bolshy so gave in & put his shoe back on. I'd love to try again with him & seeing as he's out of work now for 6 months of the year (pollen allergy so we only go for the odd plod) it seems a good opportunity to try.

Farrier says he's got great strong hooves & I put Kevin Bacon on daily, I tend not to feed much at all over summer but is there anything I could add to help strengthen his hooves with biotin in?
I've also been looking at hoof boots! Its his rear feet he seems more sensitive with so ideally I'd like them all round, BUT he has lovely round feet on the front & pointy back toes! Are there any boots that would accommodate that? My farrier shoes him so that his toes over hand the shoe slightly at the front. Also, how often do you trim if using boots? I'd keep them off altogether, he's fine on the road but off on the gravel he just can't manage it.

Thanks in advance! :)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Whatever you feed diet and supplement wise now will reap rewards in a year so it is a long process. I use Forage Plus balancer for my two, it has done nothing for DP's thin soles although his feet look good but it has transformed B's feet so it doesn't work for all horses. For boots if the feet are different shapes mix and match but if you aren't going to be doing much more than plod try the Cavallo Hoof boots in front, they are very forgiving on shape and there are plenty of second hand ones as well. Look at the Hoof Boutique for description of size and shape of boot and see which ones might fit the backs best.

Twohorses

Visit site
Hi!! :)

. Also, how often do you trim if using boots? I'd keep them off altogether, he's fine on the road but off on the gravel he just can't manage it.

Thanks in advance! :)

The simplest answer to that is when the hooves start becoming difficult to get in the boots.

Trimming needs vary with every horse as some horses grow hoof faster than others.