barefoot. New hoof boots

paddy555

Visit site
I always get excited when a new boot comes out.
Renegades are lovely boots except for one thing and that is the velcro fastening. Hate them and I know I am not the only one. I wonder why after so many years no one has thought to improve it.

Gloves are also lovely boots, my favourite that I can persuade to fit on many horses.

So when the new easycare glove came out I was interested.

Then I looked at the fastening and just thought, WHY? why make adjustments to a perfectly good boot and, even more, why put the velcro fastening on them.

https://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/p...il&utm_term=0_30a561c5d0-dcceebef9f-148083193

Evie91

Visit site
I used hoof boots (cavallos) when my old tb retired and needed her shoes off (combination of age, clay, losing shoes and resulting damage, footiness). I used to used plaiting bands to hold Velcro secure. Seemed a silly design flaw for expensive boots!

They worked well for turnout. I’ve never ridden in them.

Share horse is a PRE and barefoot. She has never been shod and has fab feet but we are planning to do lots more road work spring and summer so wondering whether we should invest in a pair.
Do you ride with them? Do you feel safe? Can you do fast work? Does the horse slip etc?
Sorry to derail your thread, but something we are currently considering and This thread popped up!

paddy555

Visit site
I used hoof boots (cavallos) when my old tb retired and needed her shoes off (combination of age, clay, losing shoes and resulting damage, footiness). I used to used plaiting bands to hold Velcro secure. Seemed a silly design flaw for expensive boots!

They worked well for turnout. I’ve never ridden in them.

Share horse is a PRE and barefoot. She has never been shod and has fab feet but we are planning to do lots more road work spring and summer so wondering whether we should invest in a pair.
Do you ride with them? Do you feel safe? Can you do fast work? Does the horse slip etc?
Sorry to derail your thread, but something we are currently considering and This thread popped up!

to answer your final para, yes you can ride well in boots but possibly choosing the best riding boots. For me those are gloves which have the sole pattern in the link above. I have these, they stay on well especially through deep bog so they will stay on in most places. Renegades are also very good boots (just have the fiddly velcro) I used to like scoots but now I see too many problems, they need mud straps in mud to keep them on and there is a serious problem, IMHO, with the back strap. I have had them "gouge" behind the pasterns in 2 horses.
For more difficult feet that twist (especially behind) I find epics work well (I change the buckle they come with for "up buckles". For larger feet epics are my choice because most other decent makes don't fit.

Choice of boot depends on size. I would guess PRE feet will fit most makes sizewise.
I would look at gloves (with the original gaiters) and renegade vipers for your horse as a starting point. Possibly renegade classics.
I feel perfectly safe and you can ride as you want. For slipping in mud renegades are better than gloves. For riding on the roads either boot (or probably any make) are a lot better at preventing slipping on slippery tarmac than shoes (unless of course they have studs in)

Evie91

Visit site
Thank you for the response. Will make a note and google the ones you have suggested.We’ve discussed it a couple of times but not taken the plunge yet. Horse has never needed shoes, so don’t want to go down that route but also wary about riding in boots- odd isn’t it; I’ll easily accept riding a horse in shoes but boots not so sure!

paddy555

Visit site
Thank you for the response. Will make a note and google the ones you have suggested.We’ve discussed it a couple of times but not taken the plunge yet. Horse has never needed shoes, so don’t want to go down that route but also wary about riding in boots- odd isn’t it; I’ll easily accept riding a horse in shoes but boots not so sure!

I have ridden barefoot or booted for well over 30 years. A few years ago I had to ride a horse, quiet horse, not a problem horse. He was shod. (no studs) I had to ride him down a steep tarmac road. I was too frit and got off and led. Booted or barefoot I would have never given it a thought.

paddy555

Visit site
Interesting .... does the horse need time to transition to being ridden in boots?

most adapt very quickly just about on the first couple of rides. I think most people do short rides to check things like no rubbing etc as you would do with any new piece of tack. The horses seem to have no problem. The previously barefoot ones who are foot sore seem to take to it like a duck to water. Makes a tremendous difference to their comfort.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Yes! I have just bought Renegade vipers for my boy and hate the velcro. It just makes no sense.

I have also use Boa boots on my mare and the fastening on that is brilliant.
If someone would just combine the two....

Brownmare

Visit site
The new glove looks very clunky, not at all the type of boot I would want to use. I have recently bought some Flex boots and they are so slimline and unobtrusive I love them. And no velcro involved! The only downside so far is a fairly small range of sizes but hopefully that will improve soon.

Tarragon

Visit site
I agree with you Paddy, that the velcro is always the first thing to go!
I have an elderly pair of Easyboot Backcountry gloves and I recently bought another pair as they were half price as they were of the old style and the new style was coming out. The velcro on the older pair, probably 8 years old, is definitely going. I am contemplating replacing the velcro straps, as that is an option. I love the gloves - a very snug fit means that there is no movement and therefore no rubbing, and they tend to stay put.
Screenshot_20210224-102019_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I don’t have any trouble with the Velcro on my Renegades but they are the only boots I’ve used as they fit perfectly so I don’t know any different. Are Flex boots new to the market? I looked at Swiss Gallopers a few years ago but they hadn't been out long enough to have any reviews and I’ve still not seen them being used very often.

Baroque

Visit site
There's some excellent advice here! The only thing I would add for a newbie to hoof boots is that there are some that are less forgiving in their sizing and Gloves are one of those. They are amazingly good boots if they fit your particular horse but can be a pain to size if your horse's feet aren't the 'ideal' shape for those boots. To some extent this is true of all the 'performance' boots that fit closely. Most of the 'clumpier' types (Cavallo for example) are quite forgiving of different foot shapes. However, once you have the sizing right I personally prefer the closer-fitting boots.

I'd strongly recommend contacting Hoof Bootique or The Saddlery Shop for their advice. They are very helpful. I'd also recommend that you take the time to order the fit kits for any boot you're interested in. I struggled to find a boot to fit my mare's foot shape and was so glad that I hadn't laid out too much money before taking the plunge. It's worth bearing in mind, too, that there is quite an active second hand market for boots and some real bargains can be had!

Definitely agree with Paddy555 that grip on the road is better in (most) boots than a regular shod foot. I drive my mare and the thought of her having to work into the breeching down a slippery hill shod frits the life out of me yet if she's booted I have no concerns at all.

paddy555

Visit site
The new glove looks very clunky, not at all the type of boot I would want to use. I have recently bought some Flex boots and they are so slimline and unobtrusive I love them. And no velcro involved! The only downside so far is a fairly small range of sizes but hopefully that will improve soon.

I am not sure where easycare are going. They put a gaiter on the epic and we had a good boot, they created the glove, another very good boot, and then it seemed to stop. They have not progressed. They seem intent on using the glove shell and putting an ever more complicated array of straps and fastenings on them. The glove was as perfect as it gets for that sort of boot. If you want to innovate then come up with a NEW boot not a variety of an old one.

Equally renegade. Another excellent boot, I would use them but I cannot face that wretched strap. It has been there well over 10 years. Update it.

I agree with you Tarragon. After a wander around different boots I have come back to the boring old original gloves. Stay on, wear well, don't rub or cause a problem and lousy to wash!

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
I don’t have any trouble with the Velcro on my Renegades but they are the only boots I’ve used as they fit perfectly so I don’t know any different. Are Flex boots new to the market? I looked at Swiss Gallopers a few years ago but they hadn't been out long enough to have any reviews and I’ve still not seen them being used very often.

I think flex have been round a while but relatively new. The only comment I see frequently about t he gallopers is their ability, or lack of it, to stay on. That might be unfair but when you see the same comment a few times you wonder.

Mule

Visit site
The beast is wearing cavallos which fit well but I'm going to have to measure him for something else. He doesn't stride out as usual in them so I'll have to get something less clunky.

I have been meaning to upload photos of his hooves but I have lockdown lethargia so haven't had the energy to take any yet ?

Last edited:

Fransurrey

Visit site
To be fair, I think you're right to be wary. When they're not a perfect fit, they can cause tripping and stumbling. I don't have a problem with velcro per se, but hate the loops. I find them really fiddly if I have cold fingers. Fortunately my cob very rarely needs boots, now, but if I were looking again, I'd be tempted by the Flex Hoof Boot.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I think flex have been round a while but relatively new. The only comment I see frequently about t he gallopers is their ability, or lack of it, to stay on. That might be unfair but when you see the same comment a few times you wonder.
I have a pair of Galoppers and they do come off at anything above walk for me, but my boy has a stupid amount of feather, so it's hard to get them fastened correctly. They're the reason I went for the Fusion Active - they go over the feather and it takes a lot to get them off (I never lost one, although he wasn't ridden much in them).

Brownmare

Visit site
Flex boots are pretty new but I really like them so far, definitely worth a go if your horse matches up to the sizes available. I tried Swiss Galloppers too and liked them but they weren't right for my mare's twisty hindleg action. I wouldn't discount them in the future though for another horse, they were a pretty secure fit and didn't rub even when my girl twisted them round!

Tarragon

Visit site
I ended up choosing easyboot glove as the ponies have very round feet and it was the only one at the time that I found that had a fit designed for a rounder hoof. I must admit that I haven't tried any others so cannot compare. Luckily the same boot fits both ponies (and I love the colour co-ordination!)

HelenBack

Visit site
View attachment 66614
This is my girl doing a beach gallop in her Flex boots. In fairness one did ping off just after this was taken but only because another horse bolted past her and she got her knickers in a twist and trod on it ?

I'm liking this as I also ride on the beach and am thinking of trying Flex boots soon. We're currently in Scoots behind, which I like apart from the faff of getting them on when I use the mud straps, and Old Macs in front. I really like the Old Macs and have never lost one but they are clumpy and I think it's time we tried for something a bit more low profile now. I've been eyeing up the Flexes for a while and am starting to read more and more positive reviews of them. They look really good in that action shot though :).

Brownmare

Visit site
I'm liking this as I also ride on the beach and am thinking of trying Flex boots soon. We're currently in Scoots behind, which I like apart from the faff of getting them on when I use the mud straps, and Old Macs in front. I really like the Old Macs and have never lost one but they are clumpy and I think it's time we tried for something a bit more low profile now. I've been eyeing up the Flexes for a while and am starting to read more and more positive reviews of them. They look really good in that action shot though :).
That's what I love the most about them, they don't interfere with breakover at all.

palo1

Visit site
It's good to read about new boots :) I have had very little luck with any of them in over a decade :( My horse is now either barefoot or shod in front (for a few months in the winter). Boots just haven't worked for us and that has been an expensive and frustrating experience. I have been through gloves, cavallos, renegades, fusions and scoots...I loved all of them in their ways and they are all excellent boots but none would stay on in thick clay, or at speed, even though they all fitted and were suitably snug/correctly fitted alongside consultation with Hoof Boutique and Urban Horse. I just gave up in the end!! The only problem my chap has is that as an appaloosa, hair and horn growth are not really his strong point and with a strong tb influence in his breeding he has rather elegant pasterns and longer-tending toes along with just not growing enough hoof to cope with his work. I have literally tried everything; a different yard surface, bespoke minerals, reducing his work, increasing his work etc etc. He has perfected the art of growing just enough hoof to get along. In winter he is either unridden or we have to cope with endless boot related issues. :( In the spring, summer and autumn hoof growth just about keeps up!! For general stuff the Cavallos are the easiest, most forgiving and probably the best value in my experience. If my mare needs boots I will be interested to see if any of them work for her; she is totally different to the gelding :) :)