Barefoot Photos and Thoughts please

Bessi

Visit site
Had posted this in backroom but realised more likely to get replies here so pleaseforgive repetition if you saw it in tack room.

Im currently rehabbing my horse barefoot after he went bilaterally lame in front with a broken back hoof paster axis and some ringbone evident in the coffin joint, we have the support of a barefoot trimmer. He had six months off in the field after diagnosis barefoot and has now been back on the yard six months. X-rays showed considerable improvement in HPA after field time. We have been doing hand walking with boots and pads in front since March and under saddle walk work since mid may with boots front and back as we have a very stony driveway to navigate before we get to any other surfaces - this has been limited to there times per week as I broke my ankle falling off another horse so have been reliant on others working him for me. He is now almost sound on the straight line on the concrete but still not reaching as he normally does (totally sound on a surface) and reluctant on the turns.

Anyone had experience of this? At the time of diagnosis my vet said if I wanted him sound fast then he would medicate and remedial shoe but if i wanted him sound long term barefoot would be best so we took shoes off and did not medicate. Would it be worth medicating now aswell? I will discuss this with my vet but no point until i can guarantee regular work for him when I'm better (hopefully only a few more weeks).

Obligatory photos, sadly i don't have ones from when we started as trimmer took them not me. Your thoughts on how they are looking please.

Near Fore:
IMG_9086_zpsx7mlexls.jpg

IMG_9087_zpsyw8ms1ok.jpg

IMG_9088_zpsyjplukfu.jpg

Off fore:
IMG_9089_zps5lvxa4tr.jpg

IMG_9090_zpsbz7gbyhq.jpg

IMG_9091_zpsjubilqff.jpg

be positive

Visit site
Good call by your vet and from the sound of things you are going in the right direction even if improvement is slow and he is not 100% yet.
To me, and I am no expert, he looks as if he would benefit from some exercise without boots to get the frogs and heels doing more, they still look relatively weak and the frogs are narrow rather than wide and strong, the white line appears to be stretched and he may benefit from a trim, have you got the diet right as I would hope for it to be tighter by now but it may just be that he needs more stimulating to get to the next stage, can you get the boots off once you have cleared the stony tracks or lead him until you are off them so the foot gets more conditioning as I think that is what is required now.

Bessi

Visit site
Diet wise he has ⅓ scoop of molasses free chaff to mix his prohoof minerals and joint supplement in, nothing else. He's in during the day with a haynet and out at night muzzled as he's fat- unable to restrict grazing apart from muzzle as on livery.

Unfortunately can't remove extremely stoney ½ mile long driveway, could lead him up it. The boots he is in have therapeutic pads in which have moulded to his hoof and should according to trimmer be stimulating frogs. She's just today given me new pads which should further stimulate the frog. Would working without these stimulate him more? Videos the other day showed he is consistently landing heel first in the boots but it's still erratic without them..

He will get more work and conditioning in a couple more weeks as I will hopefully be out of my walking boot and able to ride again. At the moment he is walk hacking three times per week and going on the walker twice per week can't really increase this until I can ride/drive to the yard again as reliant on lifts and other people.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Again I'm no expert but looking at the new growth I'd say stick with it. I also agree with be positive in getting him out on the roads and other surfaces to help condition his feet.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If he is sound without the boots except for the drive, I would either lead him down the drive or take the boots off at the end. Pads damp down simulation, except in the case of sole stimulation to a horse with concave feet (when it's unlikely they need it anyway). If the horse isn't sound without them then they are fine, but IMO they can be over used. Is your trimmer K C La Pierre trained, my impression is they are sometimes far too cautious with their booting and work advice?

Photos look very promising :)

I would be looking to medicate the ringbone, I think, to see if it helps. Unlike remedial shoeing, it should do no harm.

Last edited: