Barefoot Pics - Opinions please.

Bessi

Visit site
Im currently rehabbing my horse barefoot after he went bilaterally lame in front with a broken back hoof paster axis and some ringbone evident in the coffin joint, we have the support of a barefoot trimmer. He had six months off in the field after diagnosis barefoot and has now been back on the yard six months. X-rays showed considerable improvement in HPA after field time. We have been doing hand walking with boots and pads in front since March and under saddle walk work since mid may with boots front and back as we have a very stony driveway to navigate before we get to any other surfaces - this has been limited to there times per week as I broke my ankle falling off another horse so have been reliant on others working him for me. He is now almost sound on the straight line on the concrete but still not reaching as he normally does (totally sound on a surface) and reluctant on the turns.

Anyone had experience of this? At the time of diagnosis my vet said if I wanted him sound fast then he would medicate and remedial shoe but if i wanted him sound long term barefoot would be best so we took shoes off and did not medicate. Would it be worth medicating now aswell? I will discuss this with my vet but no point until i can guarantee regular work for him when I'm better (hopefully only a few more weeks).

Obligatory photos, sadly i don't have ones from when we started as trimmer took them not me. Thoughts on how they are looking please.

Near Fore
IMG_9086_zpsx7mlexls.jpg

IMG_9088_zpsyjplukfu.jpg

IMG_9087_zpsyw8ms1ok.jpg

Off Fore
IMG_9089_zps5lvxa4tr.jpg

IMG_9091_zpsjubilqff.jpg

IMG_9090_zpsbz7gbyhq.jpg

Bessi

Visit site
Thanks Holly, Yes possibly we are miltoning 3 times per week his frogs were in a bit of a state all flappy so really pleased with how they've improved. We are just waiting for the end of the growth line from when he came back onto the yard to grow out and hopefully we will have a tighter hoof then.
Heels still look contracted and under run to me but maybe I'm being super critical. Just want my awesome horse sound again.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
It takes time. Mine is an ex-racer and was diagnosed with navicular, hind limb PSLD, bilateral spavin and arthritis in the fetlock in 2011. It took time to get her sound, but I managed it and she is pretty much rock crunching now. It may take longer to get yours sound doing the barefoot rather than the remedial shoeing route, but if you're not in any rush, I think you will get a longer lasting soundness at the end of it.