Barefoot Showjumping?

Rollin

Visit site
I am not a barefoot owner, but I have a nice young horse, currently in the UK with a SJ trainer, who has never been shod. Exception for an endurance event on hard stoney ground, he had racing plates on his front feet.

I was told he needed shoes for Clear Round Jumping in UK but am told that a winning horse at Olympia competed barefoot.

Can someone enlighten me on SJ rules?

Don't want a big debate as I don't have firm views either way. My 34 year old is still shod I have three Shagya's barefoot and one with shoes. It depends on the horse.

TheMule

Visit site
1 (c) Farriery and tack
'Footcare and shoeing must be of a high standard'

No other reference to shoeing anywhere

MagicMelon

Visit site
There is no requirement for them to be shod under BS rules.

This. You can do BS, BE and BD barefoot. I competed BS every winter barefoot. You say "clear round jumping" which I assume is unaffiliated or Riding Club level - again, no problems being barefoot there.

The ONLY time I've ever heard of it being a problem is the working hunter at Blair International where someone was eliminated in the finals this year because they had no shoes on and it was a requirement, ridiculous!

Supanova

Visit site
I compete my 6 year old barefoot BS with no problem at all. She has never had shoes and she has great feet so i don't think i will ever put her shoes on her.....

Frosty89

Visit site
My 4 year old has so far never had shoes on. She's just come back in to work after being turned away for a couple of months and my plan was to get her shod once back in work. After some thought, I've decided to keep her barefoot. Hopefully she will cope well and most shows I go to tend to be on surfaces anyway. The only reason I can see her needing to be shod is for studs, but I shall see how she copes without them.

This is the first horse I've had barefoot so I'm a little new to all this barefoot stuff :)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Many years ago when HOYS was still at Wembley my friends horse competed barefoot in the BN finals. They qualified in grass at Vicarage farm and when they were handed the rosette the guy said 'you'd best get shoes on that now'

He was never shod and very successful in dressage as well.

Last edited: