Barefoot transition thread/journal

Mule

Visit site
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/trouble-with-finding-hoof-boots.782447/

Ok, for the first set of photos, see the link above. I tried to upload them to this thread but couldn't do it. Posts 7,8 and 12 are all photos of his hooves.

Post 7
  • photo 1 is his front left hoof.
  • photo 2 is both left and right hinds
  • photo 3 is his right front
  • photos 5 and 6 are hoof shots at different angles.
Post 8
  • photo 1 is left front
  • photo 2 is left hind
  • photo 3 is right hind
  • photo 4 is right front
Post 12 are x-rays of his fore hooves
  • First x-ray is of his shod hoof. It has a thin sole
  • Second x-ray is his unshod sole, which is extremely thin.

Mule

Visit site
Right so, its about 3 and a half weeks since his front hoof with the very thin sole had its shoe removed.
It's about 2 and a half weeks since his other front shoe was removed and it's a week and a half since his hind shoes were removed. It was a strange way to take them off but the first front shoe was removed off for the hoof x-ray and the other front shoe became loose so I removed it. The farrier was out of the country so he wasn't able to remove the hinds until later.

I looked in to getting hoof boots. I got advice on here to contact Urban hoof and The hoof boutique. That's why I initially took the photos. They were both really helpful, but due to the difference in the sizes of his hooves and especially his uneven hoof bulbs, finding a boot that would stay on was very unlikely. I decided to give him a few months off to give his hooves a chance to improve. According to the research I've done, his uneven heels should correct themselves over time once shoes are removed. After a few months I'm going to re-measure his hooves to see if I can find a boot that will work.

He had been quite uncomfortable walking on concrete since the 4 shoes came off. I noticed that he was walking comfortably a few days ago, so that was very encouraging. He also tried to canter after his friends in the field but soon thought better of it :D
I'm fortunate in the surfaces I have, as he walks between his field, a sand and a concrete surface a few times each day. I started putting keratex hoof hardener on him on Saturday. The instructions say to put it on the sole and the hoof wall daily for a week then twice weekly.

Mule

Visit site
This is another post just to give anyone who's thinking of trying barefoot a few hints. I didn't do any research beforehand as taking off his shoes happened quite suddenly. The farrier and I had been talking about it for a while and I was going to take the plunge in January because removing his shoes was definitely necessary for his long term soundness. At any rate the timescale was moved forward.

I thought barefoot was just taking off the shoes and the horse would be a bit sensitive so I'd get him hoof boots and that would be it. I had always removed his shoes for about 6 weeks over the winter to try to improve his hooves so I knew what to expect at the start.
This time, when I removed them I asked for some advice on HHO. I learned that nutrition was also very important. His diet consisted of hay/ grass, salt and a token feed of beetpulp. I added some micronised linseed and a forage balancer called PRO BALANCE from Progressive Earth. I also read Nic Barker's book (owner of Rockley) and it was very interesting so I'm looking at him going barefoot as a project (I like projects)

Knowing what I do now, if I were to do it again, I would put him on the supplements a couple of months before taking the shoes off. I would have left him go a month or so unshod before trimming his hooves. I would also have started putting on Keratex or similar in advance of removing his shoes. I do think it's helpful that I don't plan to ride him for a while so I'm not fussing about when he is going to improve. Because I don't have a timescale I'm more relaxed about it.

I can't see any difference in his hooves yet but it hasn't been long so I'm not expecting it. The nail holes on his front hooves have grown out and they are nearly grown out in his hinds. I'm going to take monthly photos as there should be a noticeable difference from month to month. even if I can't see it. I will update everyone with posts on this thread more often that that because judging by the improvement in his walk his hooves are improving all the time. As well as being comfortable walking on sand and concrete he was marching in the field today:)

Another positive about removing his shoes and uploading his hoof pictures to HHO was that Ester noticed that he was wearing the sides of his right hooves unevenly. I think this may explain his asymmetry when riding and his stiffness when bending to his left while doing carrot stretches. So onwards and upwards:cool:

Last edited:

Sasana Skye

Visit site
Watching this thread with interest I took shoes off my ISH 4 months ago so going through it all too. We're currently not using boots, I bought some Cavallo Treks but had to send them back, my friend bought a scoot boot sizing kit and let us borrow it but none of them were right. She's okay on hard smooth surfaces but shortens her stride on stones. She wears one of her feet unevenly too where she's slightly pigeon toed on her left - which I think (saddler thinks) is related to asymmetric shoulders but her feet are growing through a completely different shape so we will see what they are like when a full hoof grows through.

Mule

Visit site
So, the beast's hooves look slightly different. There are 3 long but cosmetic grass cracks in the left forefoot (he never gets cracked hooves) See photo at bottom of post.
His hoof walls have also grown quite a bit. Weirdly enough, they didn't look longer two days ago but they do now🤷‍♀️ I don't have photos because I was lacking a hoof holding person. I will be more prepared in future.

When I went to see him today he was chilling out, standing on a patch of gravel. Apparently that's a good surface for hooves. He must be onboard with the barefoot thing:cool:

I've been using keratex in order to strengthen his soles. As I was putting it on tonight, I spilt a bit, then felt a burning sensation. I looked down and remembered I had stuck my finger with a needle earlier:rolleyes:
Formaldehyde does not belong in the body prior to death. . .
(I just found out there's formaldehyde in keratex).

Anyway I am going to order a magnesium supplement for the beast. He is getting 6g of magnesium oxide in his balancer but I'm going to increase it, specifically for his hooves.
Hoof crack photos below. I've added a close up because they looked more dramatic in person.
Screenshot_20191120-204247_compress79~2.jpg
Screenshot_20191120-204247.jpg

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would be very careful of too much Keratex. I have used it where a hoof is obviously soft, for example the sole easily deforms when you press with a thumb, but don't use it if the hoof is normal.

I found that if you overdo the Keratex it seems to get better, but then splits and cracks.

When I have not used Keratex and the hooves have simply grown the nail holes out, no splits etc. I do pre prepare with correct diet and a barefoot supplement, and salt, and smooth the edges every time a nail hole reaches the floor, also keeping it quite compact. But, they were also good feet to start with.

Mule

Visit site
I would be very careful of too much Keratex. I have used it where a hoof is obviously soft, for example the sole easily deforms when you press with a thumb, but don't use it if the hoof is normal.

I found that if you overdo the Keratex it seems to get better, but then splits and cracks.

When I have not used Keratex and the hooves have simply grown the nail holes out, no splits etc. I do pre prepare with correct diet and a barefoot supplement, and salt, and smooth the edges every time a nail hole reaches the floor, also keeping it quite compact. But, they were also good feet to start with.
Interesting, perhaps we now know where those hoof cracks came from 🤔
What do you think of just using it on the soles?

Red-1

Visit site
It is very drying, which is how it hardens soft feet. Sadly, feet need to be flexible.

I don't mind it as an emergency measure for a very soft sole. But only use enough to firm it up.

Mule

Visit site
It was -2 this morning and the ground was frozen for the first time this winter. The horses were in when I went to give them their breakfast. As I was leaving to go to work I'd noticed the other horses were gone back out to the field but the beast was still in. He was looking after them and neighing pathetically but they paid no attention to him (poor mule).
I realised that because their field had become a bit churned up in the rain it would be now be rock hard, pointy, frozen mud. Obviously not comfortable for a thin soled mule.
Another horse would have left his friends go out and stayed in to rest his hooves but the beast is herdbound...
I later found out that he braved the ground conditions and followed his friends. He got a kiss and a carrot when I came home ?

On December 5th it will be 4 weeks since his shoes came off. I will upload pictures to see if anyone can spot a difference.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used keratex on my loan horse but my farrier told me to only put on the soles and not to do it every day. i cant quite remember but i think it was every other day for the first week and then less and less gradually and only do it for 3 weeks.....then once a week if needed. hope this helps

Mule

Visit site
i used keratex on my loan horse but my farrier told me to only put on the soles and not to do it every day. i cant quite remember but i think it was every other day for the first week and then less and less gradually and only do it for 3 weeks.....then once a week if needed. hope this helps
I'm going to have a good look at his hooves tomorrow. It was too dark for me to have a decent look at them by the time I got back from work today. I also need an assistant to take photos of his hooves while I hold them up. I'll see how his soles feel tomorrow. It hasn't rained for about a week now, which I'm sure is much better for them than the constant wet.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Maybe try Hoof Armor?? I've only just started using it; I did three applications over ten days and have noticed a difference. Not sure how long it will last though.

Mule

Visit site
Maybe try Hoof Armor?? I've only just started using it; I did three applications over ten days and have noticed a difference. Not sure how long it will last though.
I think that's a good idea. I'll definitely do it when I bring him back in to work.

paddy555

Visit site
Mule, if your ground is similar to ours this morning don't forget this is the worst thing possible for newly de shod horses. ie frozen rutted ground. It is due to continue with us for the rest of the week, not sure about the rest of the country but 3 or 4 days on that sort of ground can cause problems.

Mule

Visit site
Mule, if your ground is similar to ours this morning don't forget this is the worst thing possible for newly de shod horses. ie frozen rutted ground. It is due to continue with us for the rest of the week, not sure about the rest of the country but 3 or 4 days on that sort of ground can cause problems.
Good to know. Perhaps I should keep him on soft ground? He can stay in a sandy area and go in and out of a stable as well. I have bedding in the stable and he likes to spend some time there.

paddy555

Visit site
Good to know. Perhaps I should keep him on soft ground? He can stay in a sandy area and go in and out of a stable as well. I have bedding in the stable and he likes to spend some time there.

if your ground is rutted or likely to be keep him off it whatever it takes. It hopefully won't be for long. A few days being shut off the field or even stabled will be a lot less painful than a bruised foot. I have seen a lot of people get into trouble with this over the years. It really sets their BF progress back.

Mule

Visit site
if your ground is rutted or likely to be keep him off it whatever it takes. It hopefully won't be for long. A few days being shut off the field or even stabled will be a lot less painful than a bruised foot. I have seen a lot of people get into trouble with this over the years. It really sets their BF progress back.
It's lucky I posted about it so. Christ, the last thing I need is for him to go backwards! Thanks for letting me know:)

Mule

Visit site
He's now ensconced in his stable with lots of hay and extra bedding. I went out to see if they were around and luckily there were in the yard. The gate to the field is closed and they are all staying in until the weather improves.

Red-1

Visit site

That is what mine is doing. In on a thick bed at night and on the arena all day. No rutted ground at all. She is walking out in hand for 40 minutes 3 times a week and doing some lungeing 2 or 3 times a week too. To get to the turnout we have an area of pea gravel.

Last year, when mum had her fall and was ill, she was turned away and shoes pulled so I could deal with what needed dealing with. She came back into work at Xmas and remained without shoes until March time. With increased hacking and doing BS she was OK, but was feeling the area between the collecting ring and competition ring, so had fronts only. Then I wanted to go XC, so had backs too.

This year, mum is again unwell so yet again the shoes have come off and I am taking pressure off myself to sort out life. This time, with only a few months shod over the summer, her feet have been so much better. Better shape, better strength, no softness, so far no soreness (shoes off end September). Last year her frogs were over growing, this year they are perfect.

I am starting riding again over the Xmas holidays, if life has eased off, and hopefully she will be seamless back to proper work.

What I am trying to say is, that if you need to re-shoe over summer, it is still worth trying again once the ground softens next year for winter and you will be riding less. 2nd time round you would be in a much better position to start with, with stronger feet that are already better formed.

Floofball

Visit site
Jumping on this thread as had my lads fronts removed yesterday (backs removed 5 weeks ago) Have always wanted to try him BF as he’s never been footy if he loses one and he’s never had a shoeing break. I generally don’t end up doing much with them Dec/Jan anyway so fingers crossed ??
3rd hack after having backs off he felt a little sticky (having felt amazing on the first 2!) so have scaled down the hacks - will buy boots if needed but his feet are changing shape so much I want to wait a bit first. I have boots and pads that will do for his fronts if he needs some help in the short term but again will wait for a while before I measure to buy new ones.
He’s on a barefoot friendly diet already as managed as metabolic (EMS) and grows hoof very quickly. I’m really hoping to prove my sceptical farrier wrong and do this ?

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I’m really hoping to prove my sceptical farrier wrong and do this ?

Funny you say this, you hear a lot of stories about farriers who have told their clients that their horse would "never go/cope barefoot".

I mentioned barefoot to my farrier and said I was thinking about it, his response was something along the lines of "Yes do it! I've been wanting to say this for a while." He's been super supportive and even helped me measure for hoof boots.

My vet on the other hand..."oooooh hmmmm well that's not a good idea..." :rolleyes: