'barefoot'

crackerjack

Visit site
had my boys back shoes taken off yesterday to see how he gets on as he really dosn't need all 4 shod.
i want his feet to get as strong as possible as soon as possible ( which is probably impossible!) but does any one have any tips of lotions and potions to use or any tricks you use?
thanks x

Happytohack

Visit site
Just let nature take its course and if his feet are good, his hooves will harden up on their own. If you farrier is good, he will have trimmed him accordingly - i.e. not just grass-trimmed him, but left enough horn to take into account that his shoes have just come off. Do not trot on roads/hard ground. My old cob always just had shoes on her fronts and was fine, my Icelandic who has Cushings only has special shoes on in front. His hind feet are now like iron and never crack or split whereas with shoes on they were always cracking. In 3 months time you should see quite a difference.

clipclop

Visit site
The enlightened equitation forum have lots of info on hoof conditioning etc. A lot of peeps on there who have done what you have done.
grin.gif

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello My two are unshod and i don't use anything at all and they have been fine all summer. The only thing i am thinking of using is keretax hoof gel to stop thier feet softening up this winter as they live out, but i will see how they go.

steffielu

Visit site
id buy some keratex hoof hardener for now, which is applied only a few times a week, and perhaps use kevin bacons hoof ointment on the other days as in my opinion these are the best products. Mine has had his shoes off now for 2 months, and hasnt been footsore at all!
smile.gif