barefooters please let me know what you think :)

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Well farrier was out today :)

its been 4/5 weeks since K's shoes came off and we havent had a lame day yet :) Farrier said there was nothing to come off his soles and his frogs were looking ok so basically rolled the toes and that was it :) Was a 10min job :D

Looking at him head on mind ;)

Front right

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00204.jpg

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00206.jpg

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00207.jpg

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00213.jpg

Front Left
SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00211.jpg

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00209.jpg

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00208.jpg

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00214.jpg

What do we think???

He was caught climbing in the midden :D

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00199.jpg

The man himself :D

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00201.jpg

SouthLanarkshire-20120127-00202.jpg

Hows he looking?? Been getting walked out under saddle twice a week and lunged in the pessoa once a week :)

trina1982

Visit site
So to summarise, a farrier who has left sole and frog alone, a horse not lame and feet that look pretty good to my (uneducated) eye. And work load appears to be self trimming.

I'd say you're on to a winner!

He's a lovely lad, and whether that was a snapshot in time it's hard to say but he really looks 'grounded' when he stands, iykwim? Proper leg on each corner - but he may be getting ready to poo, so again, difficult to judge from a pic. I'd say all very hopeful for you - onward and upward :)

Trina x

saffytessa

Visit site
Are the pics before or after the farrier came? Only asking because I can see rasp marks on his hoof wall but the feet look like they could do with a decent roll putting on them :eek:

As he is sound just keep going as you are just don't be suprised if he gets chips round the edges. They are usually just cosmetic but a proper roll makes them less likely to happen :) That of course is just my opinion (to be taken with a pich of salt ;)) as I know some don't believe a roll to be necessary.

Hope it keeps going well for you

cptrayes

Visit site
I'd be very happy with that at 4-5 weeks and a sound horse. When you take pictures for us next time, can you roll in the dirt please and get them from ground level from the front and from the side? You'll be filthy but we'll have a much better set of pix to look at :D

cptrayes

Visit site
Farrier said there was nothing to come off his soles

Just note that it would be very rare for there to be a need to take sole off a horse like yours is looking from those photos. I hope your farrier is not going to look for sole to take off in future, and if your horse ever goes footie after a trim, check that first.

Are you ready for the spring grass? If he goes footie when the ground goes hard it will be much more likely that he has actually gone footie from too much spring grass.

I'd get on with some more work now if I were you, he doesn't need to stay in walk (unless it's for some other reason than taking off his shoes). Have fun!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
So to summarise, a farrier who has left sole and frog alone, a horse not lame and feet that look pretty good to my (uneducated) eye. And work load appears to be self trimming.

I'd say you're on to a winner!

He's a lovely lad, and whether that was a snapshot in time it's hard to say but he really looks 'grounded' when he stands, iykwim? Proper leg on each corner - but he may be getting ready to poo, so again, difficult to judge from a pic. I'd say all very hopeful for you - onward and upward :)

Trina x

He does naturally stand to attention lol He seen someone going by on a quad lol and was rather interested at the time ::

Are the pics before or after the farrier came? Only asking because I can see rasp marks on his hoof wall but the feet look like they could do with a decent roll putting on them :eek:

As he is sound just keep going as you are just don't be suprised if he gets chips round the edges. They are usually just cosmetic but a proper roll makes them less likely to happen :) That of course is just my opinion (to be taken with a pich of salt ;)) as I know some don't believe a roll to be necessary.

Hope it keeps going well for you

Farrier put a slight roll on them but hes not wanting to interfere at this point too much :) But thank you the chips are rather annoying to look at but hoping his fronts go like his hinds and look fab in 12 months time :D

He looks like a very sweet boy!

I'd just be careful of his heels- you don't want them any lower but just my opinion :)

Right I will keep an eye on that thank you :D

I'd be very happy with that at 4-5 weeks and a sound horse. When you take pictures for us next time, can you roll in the dirt please and get them from ground level from the front and from the side? You'll be filthy but we'll have a much better set of pix to look at :D

Will do Ill be manky but they will be hopefully better :D

Just note that it would be very rare for there to be a need to take sole off a horse like yours is looking from those photos. I hope your farrier is not going to look for sole to take off in future, and if your horse ever goes footie after a trim, check that first.

Are you ready for the spring grass? If he goes footie when the ground goes hard it will be much more likely that he has actually gone footie from too much spring grass.

I'd get on with some more work now if I were you, he doesn't need to stay in walk (unless it's for some other reason than taking off his shoes). Have fun!

We have had a few hard frosts here (on one just now) and hes stomping up and down the frozen hardcore like its smooth concrete :) BUT I will be careful and watch him, hes never been footy behind in the spring BUT I will certainly be looking at that in the next few months :)

Thank you all for replying. Im encouraged by the repsonses and the fact hes not been footy :) CPTRAYES I will certainly get him doing some more trot on the roads :)

Oberon

Visit site
Looking good.

You can see him growing in a better wall connection.

Just get riding bit by bit and enjoy yourself:)