barging through the gate

Marmi452

Visit site
Having just moved to a new yard, 3 weeks in my 4 yr old who normally has good manners has over the past few days starting to try to barge through the gate when bringing her in, this has only just started when a new gelding came in the field but is getting a bit out of hand. Tonight when bringing my oldie in she barged past thru the smallest of gaps and nearly had me over, she just then walks to her stable in the barn but it is totally not acceptable. Any ideas on how to stop this behaviour, she is not broken in yet but we have started the basics and are due to send her away to be professionally broke in a month or so. Just need a bit of advice on how to stop this behaviour.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Take a lead rope to the field with you and spin it, telling your youngster to back up, mine tried this, not good on a muddy slope, my old man is a star and goes through the gate, then stands grazing, so I can be at his bum swinging the rope, not ideal on a livery yard though, my field gate opens onto the farm yard, I intend doing groundwork with my 4yr old cob in the yard this weekend till he backs up just by the voice, I have four, all but the baby back up when asked, since the mud started, I have realised the dangers of a bargy baby

Marmi452

Visit site
Hi Flirty, thanks for your reply it has just come on all of a sudden! Like you have started to work on voice commands and will keep going with it, issue I have is there are 4 other horses in the field too so its like a community of horses at turn in time so you are jostling with them all... but had an instructor come and look her over and she gave me confidence that it us just her age

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
How is she with the new horse in the field it maybe she is getting bullied by him and it has upset her so she feels she has to get away as fast as she can.

siennamum

Visit site
It is unacceptable BUT she may be worried about horses behind her trapping her at the gate. Are you able to create a pen at the gate so you can let her in there safely. We just use some electric tape and have a gate bit in the middle so horses aren't trapped in a corner or by the fence.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would be checking to see she isn't being bullied and acting up from fear and if she wasn't and was just being rude I would give her a bloody good telling off and lay the law down in a BIG way! Nothing at our yard would dare get away with that kind of behaviour ever.

Marmi452

Visit site
Well it comes apparent that the new gelding has been a bit of a bully to another pony in the field, her behavior only got like this when he arrived and another owner had mentioned he was kicking and biting her youngster. I also think she was just being a youngster and trying to be the boss but after a good telling off she knows not to mess with me. I have an instructor who is learning me to lunge properly as I felt I needed a little help so we discussed the barging and she is of the same opinion as me that she is getting bullied but I need to be firmer :) Thanks for all the help tho and will keep you informed