Bargy baby

Nannon

Visit site
My 10month old TB charges at people... If I walk through her field and her and her buddy are having a canter around she will canter directly at me and unless I dive out the way she bowls me over. Whats the best thing to do about this? She needs to learn about personal space - if she spooks on the rope she just tramples whoever is leading her - I know she is very young but I dont want it to become a habit because Im already starting to think shes going to hurt me! She does lead lovely most of the time to and from the field and pottering about, and have been teaching her to back up from the stable door when I go in.

Any ideas if she will just grow out of the barging and charging at me or what can I do about it? I taught my older horse that it just wasnt on but dont want to be too hard on her?

Sorry if this doesnt make a huge amount of sense! :)

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
You don't have to be 'hard ' on her, just clear. I would get a 'be nice headcollar' and teach her in this because it works on pressure / release/ praise. I have just had to use one of these as our young horse became difficult to load into the horsebox and I'm amazed how quick they learn in them.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You need to teach her reguard humans as the leaders to be respected though calm and firm repitition. I learned so much when we started breeding horses from the older mares they take no crap from the foals they correct sharply then forget as soon as the foal backs off.
It's so hard because you want them to trust you and be their friend but they really respond to firm calm leadership.

Nannon

Visit site
It's so hard because you want them to trust you and be their friend but they really respond to firm calm leadership.

This was what I was worried about but its good to know she wont hate me forever lol I am being firm with her in the stable etc, with picking up her feet if she doesnt want to do it Ill keep trying until she lets me hold it up and pick it out etc, it just seems in the field and out and about she doesnt respect me.

Am looking on ebay for the "be nice" headcollar :)

LouS

Visit site
You've got to be firm, use your elbows when leading. She wouldn't run into the back of an older horse without being told off, if she runs into your space use your elbow and mean it.

Take a rope into the field with you every time and when she runs at you swing it at her, do not move because every time you move out of the way she is playing with you, it is not acceptable behaviour and you need to put a stop to it immediately.

Invest in some sort of halter, I use a rope halter, and do a few minutes groundwork a few times a week, bear in mind she'll have a very short attention span so don't ask for too much.

You have to be so strict about your personal space, she needs a very firm "no" every time (I don't mean vocally I mean using your elbows/rope/generally making it uncomfortable for her). For example if you ask her to stand somewhere and she walks into you, even a hoof, put it straight back, and keep doing so until she stands still even if it takes 20 minutes. You have to give babies boundaries.