Bargy horse

horsegirl

Visit site
My horse has started trying to rush in from the field and I end up having to walk along with my elbow jabbed into his shoulder. Does anyone have any experience of the rope halters? Do they work?

MagicMelon

Visit site
When I got my 3yo, he was bolshy and rude as hell (to handle at all!). I bought one of those thin string halter things which when pulled on tighten up all round his face. He respected that pretty much straight away. Its not very practical in that you cant tie up with it. He's tonnes better now, as he really learnt. He can still be bolshy occassionally like when I take him to a show so I bought one of these:

http://www.ridersnorth.com/images/large/products/Lidstone%20Coupling_LRG.JPG

which Id say isnt as good as the string one but then I dont need it that strong anymore. This just gives me a bit extra control and the good thing being I can clip the lead rope onto the usual headcollar ring to tie up.

Broodle

Visit site
Sorry, no experience of rope halters, but have found that putting rope over nose and looping it back round through normal headcollar under the chin (hope that makes sense?) gives a lot more control with bargers. Free too
smile.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
I make him walk the long way round if he is bargy but I just worry he might take off and run. He has always been fine he is just being really odd at the moment.

horsegirl

Visit site
I was wondering about those too, do they work? They are quite expensive and I hope this is just a reaction to being out in the cold, in a very muddy field and wanting to get back to a nice comfy stable and some dinner!

dwi

Visit site
I have a dually and I love it. Things finally came to a head with my bargy mare when she barged off and double barrelled me in the stomach on the way. Having spent four days in hospital and another week off work I swallowed my pride and bought one.

They aren't a magic bullet but it should solve your problems. I would have said that I was very experienced with bargy horses having worked on several busy yards but Daisy took it to a new level. You need to either get the DVD with it or get someone to show you how to use it because it is quite diffierent and has to be fitted differently. If you do decide to get one pm me and I'll give you the instructions in detail.

Yes it might only be the weather but it could be cold and windy for another four months and you do not want to end up in hospital. I am fine but I was very lucky not to rupture any internal organs. It is not worth taking the risk for the sake of £40. People will tell you that the same can be achieved with a rope around the nose but this gives you far more control as it cannot slip off and it gives instant release on the horses nose when they comply with your instructions whereas a rope around the nose stays reasonably tight.

I think that if you are posting about this you probably know the answer.

Patches

Visit site
Hi horsegirl

Patches used to do the exact same thing with me. Would practically pull my arm out of it's socket and on more than one occasion she's literally pulled me across the yard for a blade of grass she's spotted that is just too irresistible. Like you, I used to walk with my elbow jabbing at her shoulder to try and hold her back. They she trod on the back of my heel! Ouch!

Anyway, to cut a load of waffle shorter....I went to a Monty Roberts Display and saw his Dually Halter. Had a bit of spare cash floating about so thought I'd give one a go. I can honestly tell you I've never looked back and I wish to God I'd bought one sooner. I don't need to yank at her at all. She's learned to respect my personal space and to walk by my shoulder with no messing. It's fabulous.

Thoroughly recommend one.

Good luck sorting your horse out. I know how annoying it is (and how stupid they often make you look....If I had a pound for everytime I heard my OH say..."can you control that horse?" I'd be rich!)

georgiegirl2

Visit site
i have no experience with rope halters so can offer no advice there but maybe trying to get hom first out will help things as they do tend to get het up seeing everything else going out first!

an alternative is to lead out in a bridle or cavesson which give you much more control. after a quick tug on a cavesson noseband they soon learn dragging people about isnt much fun

Patches

Visit site
Totally totally with you there dwi

Putting lead rope around my mares noseband did diddly squat. She would still barge or worse still would shake her head about.

The dually was like an instant fix. Comes with a DVD explaining how to fit and use it. I did one tweny minute schooling session with it and haven't looked back since. Wouldn't be without one at all. On the odd occasion I've tried a normal head collar on my horse since, she's still behaved herself. She's finally learned to understand that when I have her on the end of the lead rope, she has to behave. Fabulous!

Tia

Visit site
I use rope halters for all of my leading out. My stallion and all youngsters are led out in them too. If you decide to use rope halters then you need to make sure that it is fitted correctly and that the knots are all in the correct positioning and make sure they are lying on the pressure points.

I love my rope halters - they're cheap, very handy to have lying around, and they do give you a decent measure of control.

GTs

Visit site
Have to say those rope halters/dually halters sound like gadgets to me - mask the problem do not solve it.

I must say the Monty Roberts autobiography is on my reading list - -

Tia

Visit site
Well I really don't know whether they are gadgetty as all of mine walk out perfectly, however from what I have been told, they have been used over here for many moons and almost everyone I know uses them as they can't afford nice headcollars.
crazy.gif

Rope halters have been around since the beginning of time - at one time they were likely all that was available.

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! So is a leather halter or webbing headcollar a gadget? Or a bridle?

Rope halters are just halters made of rope instead of being made of leather .....I really can't see what you find is gadgety about them.
crazy.gif

Perhaps you are not familiar with halters? Maybe you are more used to headcollars? Here's what they look like.

128245871.jpg

GTs

Visit site
It is the fact of the knots on their cheekbones, and the use of pressure points that I am not a fan off, especially when used to quickly overcome a problem that I believe time and proper training can overcome. My 2 would walk behind me relaxed, head down - no fuss on the way out of the field to their feed bowl. Infact I probably would not even need a halter!

Tia

Visit site
Yes I see your point. The picture above is my stallion and how crass wouldn't you say; I took my life in my hands by not fitting his halter correctly.....as you can see he is about to take off with me.
grin.gif

So what would you suggest Horsegirl uses to hold on to her horse whilst she teaches the horse to stop barging? Obviously no headcollar, halter or bridle as of course they ALL work on pressure points.

Enfys

Visit site
I use these too. In the UK they cost a bomb for some reason, so I found this site:
www.naturalhorsesupply.com
and thought I'd make them myself, HaHa! I have problems with reef knots, let alone these, OH, being a sailor and into knots said he'd do it, that was about two years ago....................still waiting! Gave up and went out and bought a handful for pennies.
I have never come across a Dually so can't comment on them although they do seem to get good reviews, I've not needed one and anyway, am too tight to spend that much money.
I haven't read of anybody raving about the Maxwell halter though, they look just like a good old fashioned dealers halter to me. Anyone ever used the maxwell one?

GTs

Visit site
A regular headcollar is fine - it is traditional. I suggest she catches her horse and makes him stop every 3 strides. If he gets strong with that make him stop every 2 or 1. It is very hard to get momentum, or distracted when you have to stop so much.

pottamus

Visit site
My horse used to do this and try trotting off when leading. I asked him to walk in a firm voice and each time he tried to rush or break into trot, he would be circled tightly 5 times and then we would resume walking in the direction we were going. If he tried it again, we would circle again etc. If he really was not getting the message I would circle him 10 times and then do it in the other direction...he soon cottoned on!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I have a pressure halter for Spring as she was rude and bargey and I use it to correct the problem not mask it! She knew how to use her strength to get her own way and I am never going to win in that battle. However with a pressure halter they soon learn that if they do the right thing life is easy and comfortable when they choose to barge or do the wrong thing they make life uncomfortable for themselves with no reprimand from the handler. It doesn't take long for a horse to suss out what is the best course of action. This reinforces in their heads that you are the herd leader and when with you life is great, but when working against you its not so great! At the end of the day with my horse you cannot force her, my job is to encourage her to choose the right thing and a pressure halter is IMO the best and safest way to do that, so a gadget yes, a gimmick that masks problems then no. Bearing in mind I have stopped her from barging off in gallop within 2 strides with only a pressure halter I think they are a miracle invention!

suestowford

Visit site
I use a rope halter when leading mine about. It's one of those thick white rope ones (well, it was white once...) that you see people showing native ponies, Shire horses and cattle in. I have had no trouble at all with him since I got this halter, it only presses on him when he pulls, he soon learned not to pull (think it took about 5 seconds). I had taught him to lead properly in a headcollar, but once he started getting more confident and teenager-y he thought it a grand game to barge about, it culminated in him pushing me into a ditch full of nettles and running off. Hence the rope halter. I did try turning the rope of the headcollar round his nose but after two goes of that he was exceedingly reluctant to have the headcollar put on at all, so he obviously hated that idea!

Nic

Visit site
We use a "Be Nice" on the Tank with a lunge line as he is a snatch barge & kick on the way past type of pony
smirk.gif

I works really well

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A regular headcollar is fine - it is traditional. I suggest she catches her horse and makes him stop every 3 strides. If he gets strong with that make him stop every 2 or 1. It is very hard to get momentum, or distracted when you have to stop so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please come over to the UK and try and stop Spring with just a headcollar, it would provide me with much entertainment
grin.gif

I have spent the entire time I have had her retraining her and instilling good manners and 99% of the time she is great and plods along on a loose rope alongside me, stops when I stop turns when I turn waits patiently at gates etc. However she knows how to use her strength and has a mind of her own so that 1 time in every 10 she tries it on I am ready for her and she doesn't get away from me. This reaffirms in her mind that its not worth trying - in a standard headcollar she would be off and would reinforce the need for her to keep trying when she doesn't get her own way. Each time she tries to barge or run off and doesn't get away from me and makes her self feel uncomforatble, means the next time she tries may not be for many week/months and she is usually much less persistant! I would say I am using this as a training tool which is working and hoping that one day I will be able to lead her and do everything in a normal headcollar, but for mine and her saftey that time is not yet!
Please don't poo-poo things just because you don't use them and you are lucky to have had well-mannered and educated horses, someone somewhere along the line had to train them to be mannerly and that is what I am doing.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A regular headcollar is fine - it is traditional.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find a halter made of rope/leather is more traditional and they have been around for many more centuries than a nylon headcollar.
crazy.gif

I think you are confusing all the new-fangled variations of headcollars - which I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with. You can't teach a horse anything unless you have it's respect and can control it. If the handler is having trouble with dealing with the horse in a regular headcollar then surely she should move onto something which offers her a higher degree of control, not to mention maintaining both hers and her horse's safety?

nomini

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When I got my 3yo, he was bolshy and rude as hell (to handle at all!). I bought one of those thin string halter things which when pulled on tighten up all round his face. He respected that pretty much straight away. Its not very practical in that you cant tie up with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't know you are not meant to tie up with them...there are people on my yard that use them like a regular headcollar!