Barrier type ointment safe near eyes?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Our elderly loan pony came a year or so ago with rather cracked/crusty/sore skin under his eyes as his eyes are a little weepy and the skin can't stand up to it (the area under his eyes is bald). The skin is now completely healed and I keep on top of it - I had great success with Filtabac initially, it has been so helpful, but it's not quite thick enough to be the perfect barrier. A month or so ago he had some extra hair loss appear randomly and I switched to using an antibiotic ointment I have left from travelling and this has been perfect, but I've nearly run out and you can't buy it in the UK. The hair that disappeared is growing back and the skin looks lovely but if I don't stick with it then it does start to look sore.

If needs be I will just try vaseline but I was wondering if anybody has any better suggestions for something thick with some antibacterial properties and which is safe near eyes? Something with a vaseline type consistency ideally. I do have some Beaphar Wound Ointment for the cats which has aloe vera... that has a similar consistency but not sure if it would be safe for horses and near eyes especially.

Thanks as always!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It could be due to blocked tear ducts. My friend's horse had problems with hers and she was sedated and had them flushed by the vet. It didn't bother her and stopped her getting a bald face. It cures it straight away. It needed doing about once a year for her.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thanks all! He has been seen by a vet when with owner. It's both sides and his actual eyes are clear and lovely in themselves, but he's a blue-eyed boy and the wind and sun just make them run a little bit (he does have a mask wardrobe). Have had a pony with a blocked tear duct before though, thanks for the thought.

Cheers @Auslander, that sounds great.

Visit site
Vaseline is your safest bet. My boy has a runny eye which Vet has put down to his eye lid conformation as he has an extra flap of skin above his eyelid which irritates the conjunctiva. If he was younger he said he could have some aesthetic surgery to correct it but at almost 23 and it having only just become a problem, he has said to just keep removing the scabs by bathing with warm salt water everyday. This has stopped it weeping and seems to be working. Might be worth doing this with yorus but I would get Vet to rule out blocked tear duct/Ulcer//Uevitis first.