Barter............has anyone ever done this? A pony for a pond!

Enfys

Visit site
I have someone coming to see the filly today, the pony is going to be a surprise for his daughter. He is offering to barter for her! We need a pond dug and have half a mile of road side ditching to be cleared so will have to pay someone anyway, he just happens to be a landscape gardener and known to us, does this sound like a fair swap? Opinions?

dieseldog

Visit site
Yep - we got a pony once as they owed us loads of livery.

The work will also be cash in hand for him so no tax.

Just get a definite date as to when he is going to do it.

Enfys

Visit site
So it doesn't sound a dumb thing to do really? Obviously we'd have to get something down on paper (for what it's worth) and the pony would board with us anyway. It makes sense to me, cash from horse sale would only go back into the farm for work anyway.

rrose

Visit site
sounds fair, just make sure the man isnt scamming you. otherwise go for it
tongue.gif

Tia

Visit site
Bartering in my part of Ontario is big too. I swapped a pony this year in exchange for some fencing to be erected.

They are honourable people over here so I wouldn't bother with the contract.

showjump2003

Visit site
I once swapped three cows for a brood mare and foal lol.

Get some quote from another person so you know how much the work would have costed you, then you will know if you are getting a good deal.

SueAllen

Visit site
I haven't swapped a whole animal for anything but did swap some of our home reared pork for some jump wings and poles and 'paid' for grazing with some home reared lamb! I'm all for it!

wilder

www.parkviewsaddlery.com
people in our village are always bartering i had a nice lady who wanted an oster grooming kit and paid for part of it with a box of cakes (she works at a bakery) and my livery yard owner is always getting electric fencing off me in return for livery, i am sure when i open the shop i will have quesue of people with chickens and god knows what else to pay for stuff

Enfys

Visit site
A grooming kit for cakes!
smile.gif
Love it!

Well, filly is sold, girlfriend (not daughter as I thought) was suitably thrilled at being told "See that horse there, she's yours if you like her" on Christmas Day, she'll be staying here so that's a few more fence poles everyweek! Hope she stays for a while, we measured our fence line yesterday, what's 2.3km in miles? New owner turns out to be the sort that if he doesn't have it, he can get it, knows where to find it or someone that does have it, very useful chap, plus he's all gooey about the horse, came up twice today to give her apples
smile.gif

Are you opening a shop then? Horsey? Thing is, the tax man won't want to be paid in all those exchanged hens will he?

Enfys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I sold a nutcase to a nutter for a pound...
smile.gif

The horse was a nutcase, and the woman who bought him was a nutter for wanting him
blush.gif

Jo

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You were all happy then!

Twiglet

Visit site
Ooooh my OH is a landscaper and pond designer - might see if he's willing on building people ponds in exchange for them giving me a nice horse!!

Enfys

Visit site
smile.gif
smile.gif
Always an idea! How much does a decent pond and landscaping cost nowadays......price of a good horse? It can't be far off.
Preston370harley-11.jpg

Our pond isn't wholly for decorative purposes
frown.gif
, at one end of our lawn there is a huge boggy patch with a stream running through, if we are going to get mossies we may as well get them in something that looks a bit prettier than a Welsh Bog! OH wants ducks too (splatting all over the lawn no doubt
mad.gif
) I'm sure whatever eats ducks here will be very grateful to him!