basic childrens showing question

ellis9905

Visit site
looking towards the spring!! my daughters keen to show her welsh sec a this yr at local shows, so am starting to buy all the various show things needed- can anyone tell me:-

should her body protector be worn under or over her show jacket?

Many thanks for any replies
:)

hobgoblin

Visit site
None of my kids haveever worn body protecters for showing so can't help I'm afraid but I would say defiantly under

nikCscott

Visit site
My daughters do lots of showing at local level over the summer and I've not seen BP's in showing- although I'm sure you wouldn't be looked over for wearing on. I'd always say BP should be over jacket or you'll need to buy a massive jacket which will be too long in the arms and just look odd- IMO

Have fun

Tickles

Visit site
Unless your daughter is very slim on top but with chunky legs then I'd say bp over jacket. Otherwise she may end up looking 'top heavy', I know I did when I tried jacket on top.. Having said that my OH looks fine either way... but obviously I'm biased! (Plus his bp is newer than mine so a more flattering fit).

Try a few on and you'll soon see which looks nicest... but my betting is on bp on top.

Visit site
If one has to be worn then over the top of the jacket.

It's a contraversial issue as BP's aren't worn in showing apart from childrens working hunter classes. The hoodoo around them is that if you feel the need for the child to wear a body protector doing a flat showing class then the pony isn't safe enough.

At local level it is fine but if you want to start county showing and affiliating then it will be seen as detrimental. Apart from where jumps are involved.

Sorry but that's showing for you.

ellis9905

Visit site
thank you for all your advice. we are very lucky to have an excellent pony who i trust 100% with my daughter- so would happily let her ride without a B/P - i am a total novice when it comes to showing and just assumed that as b/p are pretty much standard now ( and at some riding schools compulsory) that the same would be true for showing.

im a bit out of date- i learnt to ride when hats were pretty much optional and chin straps rarely done up!